• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have guns that are functional, and guns that my grandkid's grandkids will have. The functional ones I have no problem buying and selling. The other ones never leave.

Oddly enough, ARs and plastic handguns seem to be the ones that I have no attachment to, whereas wood and steel I can't imagine selling.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Do not ever start buying T/C single shots, trust me. I have bought, shot, set up to reload for, and then sold over 70 different barrels between the Contender and Encore platforms. The good thing is they hold their value, so other than a +/- $10 range, I typically don't lose much on them and consider any losses just the cost of doing business. I have this affliction with bicycles as well.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I used to have that disease. I bought and sold so much that when guys would pass me by, they would ask if I had any guns for sale. Those days are gone and now I just add to the collection and will leave the selling to my son when I'm gone.

My first carry gun was an M&P 9C which was shuffled to the back of the safe so many times I actually forgot it was there. I told myself that I needed to just sell it and make room since I don't ever shoot it anymore but it seems like every time I take it out to prepare it for sale, I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. Then a couple of weeks ago, while at a range I took it out of long-term storage and remembered just how damn good that thing shoots. Now it's back to the front to take shooting whenever I go.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I mean I don't like a gun I get rid of it... The nice thing is any guy I haven't liked and sold I bought on a good deal so I didn't loose much if anything at all. If I buy a gun though and don't like it I just get rid of it. I don't however fall in love with something and then sell it off for the next thing I want. I usually save, unless i just don't love the purchase etc. For the most part before I buy I know I'll keep.

You do know that slavery is illegal don't you? :bat::)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you're not losing money over it why care? And, it's only been 3 guns. With all the guns out that you haven't owned, maybe you just haven't found one that gets you past the infatuation period.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    But then I decided to get more serious. And then I began to realize that quality over quantity counted...

I totally agree here. Life is too short to own cheap guns (think Rossi vs S&W revolvers or Hi-Point vs Glock). Now, there is a point of diminshing returns, but then you are getting more into collector items...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I do the math every time including what I paid for the gun and ammo used, etc. I have never lost money on a gun. I broke even on 2 of them and made money on the 3rd. I wouldn't allow myself to be this way if I was losing money every time. The bright side of it, like McGrease mentioned, is that I get to experience several different guns. Eventually I will find one that I love so much that I can't sell. Just haven't found it yet, I guess. I hope it exists :)
    \

That's incredible. If you are not losing money then I guess there is no problem.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do not ever start buying T/C single shots, trust me. I have bought, shot, set up to reload for, and then sold over 70 different barrels between the Contender and Encore platforms. The good thing is they hold their value, so other than a +/- $10 range, I typically don't lose much on them and consider any losses just the cost of doing business. I have this affliction with bicycles as well.

One day, when I'm independently wealthy, I'd like to collect something like this. Just...because.

Only I think that it may be Ruger #1 rifles. Aspire to have "1 of each"!!

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I'm reviving this thread to bring good news......I'VE BEEN CURED!!! I've only had my 9mm Walther PPQ M2 for a couple days but I see clearly that this is the one. I love everything about it, the first time I could say that about a firearm of mine. I shoot it well and it feels like butter in my hand (that's a good thing). I love everything from the trigger that was designed by Jesus himself, to even the mag release. Never before have I even given an ounce of thought to a mag release, but I love this one. This gun will never leave my possession. The only problem I forsee is finding enough ammo to shoot through it, because I don't want to stop.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'VE BEEN CURED!!! I've only had my 9mm Walther PPQ M2 for a couple days but I see clearly that this is the one.

I'll check back in about a year to see if what you say is true because I'm not sure there is a cure! :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have guns that are functional, and guns that my grandkid's grandkids will have. The functional ones I have no problem buying and selling. The other ones never leave.

Oddly enough, ARs and plastic handguns seem to be the ones that I have no attachment to, whereas wood and steel I can't imagine selling.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Amen.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've struggled with a form of this disease for a while now. My problem is that I would come full circle and fall back in love with guns that I'd sold and re-buy them again, only to sell them off when the next sexy thing winked at me in a gun store. After a while, I wised up and fortunately, was able to stop selling the ones had fallen out of favor. There sure were a lot that I had considered selling one month, thinking that I'd just moved on, then thought twice and kept it. Sure enough, 6 months later I was in love with it again. The epiphany for me was the realization that it was Ok to have guns in the safe I did not shoot. Once I was comfortable with having a gun that was neither collectible or one that I wanted to carry, I was much happier.

Sooner or later, you'll be in a position to add new guns to your collection instead of replacing the one gun over and over. Until then, slow the cycle down somewhat by telling yourself over and over that you want a gun that you know so well, you can shoot it accurately in your sleep. Right now, you're getting bored and looking for excitement in the new gun. Maybe you can find excitement in getting better with the current gun. If you are just ringing steel when you shoot, then add either a shot timer or scored targets and set a goal to work towards.

Top Bottom