Firearm trade with someone in a different state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indianapail

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Mods delete this if I posted it in the wrong place, I thought it was most applicable here. Basically I have a trade offer from a guy in a different state outside of Indiana (trade is a long gun for a long gun) does this trade have to be FFL transfered through an Indiana FFL specifically? Or can I go to any FFL and transfer it? His state is state exempt from requiring an out of state trade to go through an FFL (or so he says). Seems like far more of a hassle then it's worth but until I started looking for Indianas gun laws I didn't realize how hard it'd be to find clarity!

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I would call the FFL and ask, most of the time doing an out of state transfer for a long gun isn’t a problem, handguns usually have to be in your home state.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I got an education on this subject last year thanks to members here. I looked up info and posted here, page 2, with links to ATF documents.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/our-experience-in-tennessee.514227/page-2

Changing ownership across state lines requires FFL and a 4473.

Whether the FFL is located in your state or other state can vary state to state on long guns.

Handguns always FFL in your state.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    State Lines = FFL in order to stay 100% legal.

If you do not know this person, then I'd call around to FFLs in the area you plan to meet and see if they'll work with you - and make the buyer pay the FFL the transfer fee.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Going through a dealer in Illinois will be legal and should keep everyone happy.

Of course, call that dealer first.

PS - post like this should go in "general firearms", not "general politics". You'll get more, and better, answers there.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I say this as a former resident of Illinois, be very careful with this making sure you go strictly legal. That is a total ****hole of rights for legal gun owners. The Illinois State Police have been known to run stings trying to entrap legal gun owners that are not aware of all the transfer rules. That ****hole state is more concerned with prosecuting an otherwise legal gun owner making a mistake than going after the thug gang members causing the real problems. Jim.

D K

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I got an education on this subject last year thanks to members here. I looked up info and posted here, page 2, with links to ATF documents.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/our-experience-in-tennessee.514227/page-2

Changing ownership across state lines requires FFL and a 4473.

Whether the FFL is located in your state or other state can vary state to state on long guns.

Handguns always FFL in your state.
    +1 Mark, find a local FFL, run it through them, even if you FTF in another state. As soon as you cross state lines, you’re “trafficking”, if you don’t.

I had to stop and talk with 3 FFLs until I found one that was knowledgeable enough to confirm this ATF rule, so I went with them for the transfer.

Don’t expect every FFL to know the extent of the law - the cost of their ignorance will be your debt to pay.

Top Bottom