• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Been working on prep-lite with the kiddos lately, and one of the things we've been talking about is fire safety. So, we packed up and headed to Wally world.

We came home with:
    new 9v batteries for all the smoke detectors
    new fire extinguisher for the garage
    new fire extinguisher for the kitchen
    and this...
    FireBag1.jpg

This is our fire bag, it sits right next to my bedroom door.
    Contents:
    • 1 complete set of clothing and shoes for each member of the family.
    • Jumpdrive with:
      • Scans of important documents
      • Copy of the computer's password vault
      • Video inventory of the house
      • Firearms SN listing w/ photo
      • Important electronic documents from our computer
      • Important phone numbers
      • a few other things
    • Spare key for each vehicle.
    • (not pictured) About $100 in cash.
    • (not pictured) 5 unused checks from our check book.
    FireBag2.jpg

The bag itself is a $10 20" duffel, and the total cost of all of the clothing + bag was right at $123 +tax. In the late spring, I'll swap out the LS T-shirts with Short Sleeves. Next fall, I'll update the kit, sending all of the kids clothing to Goodwill and replacing them with current sizes. The jumpdrive is a spare of mine, so there was no cost for it.

The premise is if we have to evac at night because of a fire, and we're in our jammies, we all have clothing to put on to get us a day or so until we're able to get new stuff. The spare keys allow me to move/recover one or both vehicles (mine rarely gets in the garage anyway). The jump drive contains electronic copies of items that would make getting up and running again much easier.

Finally, the pink paper should be obvious, and there is an electronic copy of that document on the jump drive as well.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Nerd, great post. I teach CERT and citizen preparedness and a pack like this is the absolute first and minimum amount of prep I teach to my class. If you (general you) prepare for anything, prepare for a fire. Chances are you're house will catch fire rather than be besieged by zombies. (Unfortunately... :biggrin: ) And the electroninc copies of important documents are the most forgotten, if not the most important thing to include.

Reps to you sir.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Very good thread. As an adjuster who's dealt with helping out many folks post-fire, may I make a few suggestions.

1. At least double your cash assuming you don't have a debit card also (a fire is SHTF for you but the grid will still be up). You're going to need a week in a hotel at least and may wait longer for the first insurance check. Don't be shy about telling your insurance company right away that you need a new living situation.

2. With your video inventory, itemize as much of your personal property as you can into an excel spreadsheet with the name identifying what it is, its age and its value. Put a copy of that in the bag. Create a spare drive of all your info and keep it off-site as well like a safe deposit box. You never know when the first thing the fire takes out could be your bag.

3. Find out your local Red Cross info and keep their contact info in the bag.

4. If you go to church, add your priest's/minister's number to that, or a counselor's number. Not to be morbid but I've walked through more than one fatal fire scene and this is something you need to be prepared for, and/or have your family prepared for in the event the fatality is you, and it's going to be a lot better having someone familiar.

4. Add baby wipes and paper towels. You're going to be close to a fire and have soot and smoke on you.

5. Add aspirin because you're going to have a headache over how much this ordeal just sucks.

For those of you in flood zones, Indy's bag suggestion also doubles well as a flood bag.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a Similar Stash located in 2 different Places. I keep a Fire/Tornado/Natural Disaster has made my home unsafe, but not a SHTF bug out event Bag out in my Shop and one also in the Detached Garage as well. The Only Difference is I do not keep Docs/Cash/Checks in mine I also have Small Fire Safes in those locations for that stuff.

One thing I also have in mine are several Microfiber Towels.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Thanks for the info, my responses below...

Very good thread. As an adjuster who's dealt with helping out many folks post-fire, may I make a few suggestions.

1. At least double your cash assuming you don't have a debit card also (a fire is SHTF for you but the grid will still be up). You're going to need a week in a hotel at least and may wait longer for the first insurance check. Don't be shy about telling your insurance company right away that you need a new living situation.
    I have debit and ATM, plus my wife's family is all in Greenwood. I just need to get off the property with this bag.

2. With your video inventory, itemize as much of your personal property as you can into an excel spreadsheet with the name identifying what it is, its age and its value. Put a copy of that in the bag. Create a spare drive of all your info and keep it off-site as well like a safe deposit box. You never know when the first thing the fire takes out could be your bag.
    This is genius. I'll have to get that done.

3. Find out your local Red Cross info and keep their contact info in the bag.
    I was on the disaster assistance teams for my local Red Cross several years ago in TH. Plus, a good friend of mine is the director in Paris, IL. I've got ARC phone numbers in spades.

4. If you go to church, add your priest's/minister's number to that, or a counselor's number. Not to be morbid but I've walked through more than one fatal fire scene and this is something you need to be prepared for, and/or have your family prepared for in the event the fatality is you, and it's going to be a lot better having someone familiar.
    Done. I'm on the security team at church, and have number for a few people there memorized. I'll add those numbers to the contact list.

4. Add baby wipes and paper towels. You're going to be close to a fire and have soot and smoke on you.
    Good thinking, will pick up a travel pack next time I'm at WM.

5. Add aspirin because you're going to have a headache over how much this ordeal just sucks.
    Can I throw in a bottle of bourbon, too?

For those of you in flood zones, Indy's bag suggestion also doubles well as a flood bag.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    One comment:

Definitely inventory your stuff, or at least have a video recording you can use later. But really assigning dollar amounts now is rather futile. Unless it's antique furniture, the prices will fluctuate, and you'll have to re-assess everything. Insurance companies cover replacement costs, not what you paid for it. So my PC that I spent 2500 on almost five years ago will most certainly depreciate, while some policies don't cover collectibles at all.

I am one of the anal-retentive types who reads all the fine print in every document I get, but I still bow to the adjuster.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Not exactly preplite but I have a 8lb sledge hammer I've considered it's use as a tool to create an emergency door.

Top Bottom