• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It started out as a 1982 Romy G Parts kit. I had a friend Re-build it on a NoDak Spud NDS-1 receiver, then it went to KRC Refinishing for parkerizing and Cerakote. I got the stock set from DPH arms. I was going to refinish the original wood, but I really hated the Forward grip, plus the stock set I bought was already finished and ready to go. I have a Sling and Bayonet on the way. I'm real happy with the way it turned out. :D

AK47RomyG.jpg

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is very nice looking. What parts got parkerized and was it zinc or manganese park?

He did the entire rifle in Manganese park and then sprayed it with CeraKote. He could have just did the CeraKote, but he said the combo finish would be very durable. I wanted the classic black finish and just the park by itself would have looked too grey. Chris at KRC Refinishing in Avon Indiana did the work. I've had him do several of my rifles and he does Awesome work.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I have to ask how much time and cash did this project take? I would love to build my own rifle sometime. Maybe buy the stuff now so i can build one with my son in a couple years.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The finish looks great. Not big on the furniture, but that does not matter. I have been thinking of having mine refinished. I just do not want to ship it somewhere.

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have to ask how much time and cash did this project take? I would love to build my own rifle sometime. Maybe buy the stuff now so i can build one with my son in a couple years.

If I would have started my AK project before Obama was elected, it would have been much cheaper and much less time involved. Before the election parts kits were plentiful and could be had for around $125. You could order a US made receiver and US compliance parts and it would arrive in a week. Unfortunately right after the election people started buying up parts kits and placing orders for receivers like they were going out of style. As the demand rose so did the price.

Romanian parts kits were once the cheapest kits to be had for around $125. After the election people started asking $250 to $300 for the same parts kit and they were selling like hotcakes. I even seen the really nice kits going for $400 or more. Some of the demilled kits that are coming in now don't include a barrel and go for around $200.

It took me 3 months to get my receiver after I ordered it, because NoDak was so back logged with orders. I found a very nice Romanian G parts kit for $260 which at the time was pretty much the going rate. I spent a little more money than I had to on the build because I decided not to use the original stock and I also decided to go for a more expensive finish on the metal. I could have saved even more money by doing the build myself, but I opted to pay someone that has experience and the tools to do the build for me. My AK ended up costing more then I originally intended to spend, but I'm glad I spent the money and got it just the way I wanted.

I estimate I have around $850 invested and 3.5 months of time, which was due to the 3 month wait on the receiver. Once the guy that did my build had all the parts he got it done in two weekends. The first weekend he finished demilling the parts kit and the next weekend he assembled the rifle on the new receiver. Then I sent the complete rifle to KRC to have the finish put on the metal. He had it for about a week to do the finish.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom