Finally Happened - I caught the plague...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yesterday it started with a very sore throat and a cough. As I hadn't taken my allergy meds in about two (2) weeks I thought that might be it.

Went to the VA ER after hours and they did a test. I'm positive.

Still just slightly weak, cough has reduced, but throat still very sore.

There goes my weekend plans as I must quarantine isolate and stay home for five (5) days.

I'd been wondering how long I would skate through and now I know.

Doug

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You are isolating. Quarantining is for exposed people without disease :):

Sorry to hear. This is definitely the strain to get if you had to choose. Take an aspirin daily for a month if you don't have any reason not to. Lots of weird heart attacks and strokes after COVID infection

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Sorry to hear. This is definitely the strain to get if you had to choose. Take an aspirin daily for a month if you don't have any reason not to. Lots of weird heart attacks and strokes after COVID infection

Good morning Doc. That's the first I've heard of unvaxed people having issues after covid infection. Wife and I both had it a couple months ago, her vaxed, me not.

At least I'm assuming the op is unvaxed. I guess I haven't been keeping up with it all that much lately. I guess I need to.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Good luck Doug, I hope you get through it quickly.

I had a pretty good run...made it 2 years before it finally got me. Had it twice now.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Doug, sorry to hear this and wishing you a speedy recovery. Get plenty of rest and try not to jump back into it too soon as that may only prolong the symptoms or cause a return of them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

For aspirin are you meaning "baby" or adult? I'm a big guy.

Thanks,

Doug

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just got an email that we are about out of government supplied monoclonal antibodies. Now they are purchased like any other drug.

Patient cost is $15,000. Obviously this is before insurance, but they're also not fully FDA approved.

Paxlovid seems better than MAB, and it makes sense that it would be even more so if you already have some sort of immunity.

Last edited:

N9Zero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    Cass County
    Skating through it for a good week imho this variant seems a lot like influenza B.
    What I do is order a pick up from the local winery that's how I get my zinc in.
    Get well soon!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Me too! Got vaxed near the start of this crap with one booster, figured if that did not do it then the shots weren't any good anyway. Started a nasty dry cough Sunday evening and still had it Monday so went to convenient care and they confirmed. They gave me a box of paxlovid to take I assume it is helping because I am doing better.
    Monday night was a nightmare; muscle aches from my neck down to my feet and I am talking severe, my eyeballs even hurt. Around midday Tuesday I started feeling like I had a severe case of regular flu and very little coughing. Then the cough came back and I got up this morning my throat hurt from that and feel like I am getting a cold with it.
    Having spells of feeling pretty good then spells of exhaustion so need to do a few things outside, nothing heavy so will just do what I feel like. Worst thing I will miss my 58th high school reunion on Saturday. I know I am supposed to isolate till Friday but I would rather miss than find out I might have infected a classmate. Jim.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Feeling a "little" bit better this afternoon.

Slept horribly - first "half," from about 11P - 7A. I think the MucinexD kicked in when I went back to bed and from about 7:30A - 12P much better sleep.

Throat still sore. Cough still there. Slight fatigue but not bad. At this rate I should be much better tomorrow.

Regards,

Doug

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Paxlovid seems better than MAB, and it makes sense that it would be even more so if you already have some sort of immunity.
    This is definitely the strain to get if you had to choose.
    This was definitely our experience. We went 2+ years without getting it, but then the whole house did within days of one another. Wife is high risk for multiple reasons and she and I both did the Paxlovid regime and had no real issues and it wasn't particularly impactful even for her.
    Daughter had it at the same time and she tested positive longer than both of us, she was not eligible for Paxlovid, but no real impact on her either.

Between the strain that we got, Paxlovid, etc no major impacts other than just staying isolated during the time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Just got an email that we are about out of government supplied monoclonal antibodies. Now they are purchased like any other drug.

Patient cost is $15,000. Obviously this is before insurance, but they're also not fully FDA approved.

As always doc, thank you SO much for your professional input! :ingo:

First I've heard of the heart attack/stroke threat from the sickness.

Top Bottom