• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I recently hosted VUPDblue and his dad for an enjoyable day of shooting and family history.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...at_the_range_a_family_legacy.html#post3131500

After dinner, we decided to try and finish a job left unfinished last fall at the 2011 NFA Alumni Day. On that day, I wanted to drop a hollow beech tree at the far north end of our pond. It was a miserable day weather-wise but a great day of shooting and INGO friends!

Here is a clip of what happened when I loaded a few pounds of tannerite in the tree. The blast occurs at 2:34. Yawn....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMMY1hNq_uw[/ame]

We just managed to crack the tree a bit, but didn't drop it. Very disappointing.

Back to this weekend:
    I loaded 4 pounds of H2Target material (H2Targets.com - The #1 Exploding Rifle Targets Company) into the hollow portion of the tree. I added some soil around and above the material to try to direct the charge to blow out the right side of the tree. VUPDblue and I also used a winch and rope to pre-load the tree to the right so it would drop in that direction. There wasn't anything in the area around the tree that would be hurt, but it would be easier to cut it up if it fell to the right.

Blue's dad, Kim, with his M1 Garand, took aim from about 90 yards away using open sights. It took six shots for him to walk his way in to the 2" target. But the results were spectacular! There was no doubt when the .30-06 round found its mark.

There are two videos of the tree dropping. One is shot zoomed back showing the whole tree. The other is zoomed in showing the detonation closer. The detonation in this first video occurs at 0:59.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEbFhUCcDR0[/ame]

This is the same attempt, but zoomed in closer. There is a brief introduction on this video. (Detonation at 1:24.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHPHKY6pcq0[/ame]

This was a fairly large tree as evidenced in this picture of the aftermath.

23tie0z.jpg

I did a few screen captures of the blast sequence.

1zxpp4x.jpg

ra6khf.jpg

2vajupi.jpg

34smpi0.jpg

34zndq1.jpg

The one down side to using H2Targets to help landscape your property is that it's all over so fast. Moments after the BOOM and the big old tree hit the ground, it was once again quiet and a white smoke cloud floated lazily over the pond.

21uezd.jpg

Shooting, eating, and blowing up trees with INGO buddies. What a great way to spend a summer afternoon! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not unhappy with my backyard and free time use, I'm just inspired by yours! Great forethought on the multi-angle work.

Next time I shoot I'm using the GoPro at 120fps and then wil go slow-mo for a mosin blast. I'd do a mag dump on my handgun too but Atterbury makes that difficult.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Nice shooting.... axe men! I suppose that would be considered a reactive target? :dunno:

Your videos and photos are always quality. Thanks for sharing them.:yesway:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    glad you didn't burn your woods down.....little dry out for that?

I had two factors in my favor regarding this.

1. The H2Targets material produces a detonation, not a flame front. While there is a bright initial blast, it isn't fire. Others on this board are more knowledgable and may be able to explain this with more precise terms.

2. The area the tree is in is by the pond and is a very low spot on the property. It's not as dry as most areas in Indiana right now. Most of the area immediately around the tree is just dirt with a little grass.

Um. How do you reset the target? :dunno:

You can....it just takes 40 years to do it! :D

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I had two factors in my favor regarding this.

1. The H2Targets material produces a detonation, not a flame front. While there is a bright initial blast, it isn't fire. Others on this board are more knowledgable and may be able to explain this with more precise terms.

2. The area the tree is in is by the pond and is a very low spot on the property. It's not as dry as most areas in Indiana right now. Most of the area immediately around the tree is just dirt with a little grass.

i shot H2 and tannerite all the time.....popped a stump or 2 too.....even in wet times i have had to put out some smoldering embers and this is next to a pond too........guess there is no burn ban in Brown County?.......glad it worked out this time.....it's WAY to dry in my neck of the wood for that....

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    i shot H2 and tannerite all the time.....popped a stump or 2 too.....even in wet times i have had to put out some smoldering embers and this is next to a pond too........guess there is no burn ban in Brown County?.......glad it worked out this time.....it's WAY to dry in my neck of the wood for that....

The burn ban doesn't apply to this, but yes, there is a slight risk of setting things on fire doing this, but it's pretty slight. The downside to this is that if there was a fire that caused property damage or loss of life the BATFE would probably become involved.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Lovemywoods Logging Company seems like a fun place to work. :yesway:

You should host a chop-in next week and let the INGO knife crowd whittle that one down to tinder for ya. ;)

Top Bottom