• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I have had my Apex since Aug of 2009 when they first came out but had yet to shoot anything with it. I even have a custom .357 max barrel for it but didn't even see a deer during gun season. I set it up this past week with the m/l barrel and a new Bushnell 3x9x40 Trophy with circle x reticle. I stayed with my most accurate load , the 245 gr Powerbelts over 90 gr BH209 and a CCI magnum primer. I have shot around a hundred loads of BH209 and have never had any misfires or problems with my gun, however my nephew has had a couple with his. This combo in my gun will keep holes touching at 50 and less than 2" at a hundred.
    My friend John asked me to go with him Sat to one of his hunting areas and I jumped at the chance. He knew I was having a tough couple of years and he had been seeing several deer where he hunts so he asked me to go. He already shot two in crossbow season and his 7 year old son also got two in youth season but he said he could always use one more if he got the chance.
    After sitting in the rain for an hour at first light I was having second thoughts, but then it let up and finally quit. As soon as it quit the squirrels started coming out what seemed like every tree, including the one I was in. About 8:30 I turned to look over my left shoulder and saw a big doe about 40 yards out. I sttod up and got rested against the side of the tree and took the shot. She just walked up the hill like nothing was wrong so I loaded up again but she disappeared over the small ridge before I could shoot. Just then a couple more came over the side where she first did but turned and went back down into the ditch where they came from. A few minutes later I spotted them on the other side and a big doe was standing in the open so I took the shot at about 75 yards and she dropped in her tracks. I got down and went to check where the first one was and found a good blood trail which went over the ridge and down to the ditch. The first doe was laying in the ditch dead and the second one was on the opposite bank only 20 yards away. I felt good to finally connect. About then John called me and asked me what was going on and I tols him I had 2 does down and the others were headed his way so he should kee hunting. I just got done field dressing my first one when I heard him shoot. He then called me and said he also got one. He also saw a huge 10 pointer and a small 4 pointer but since he already had his buck he had to let them walk.
    There is nothing better than hunting with a good friend and both getting a kill. It was a great day. Now I can focus on squirrels and coyotes.

Here is a pic of when I looked over the ridge
    photobucket-39103-1355075377579.jpg
    and saw them.
    photobucket-38721-1355075335962.jpg

modify_inline.gif

Report to moderator
    ip.gif
    NRA Life Member since 1976

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    Good job on the double a couple years back I did the samething only with one bullet one doe in front of another at 80 yards punched threw them both deff a quick way to stock up the freezer.

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    I sometimes get a foil pan like i do ribs and let them soak overnight sometimes I use spices sometimes whiskey and do a injection then straight to the grill in the foil pan with the rub still on let boil for a lil bit then remove and grill. Very tasty havent found anyone that hates it even my buddies girls who say they will never eat deer.

Top Bottom