• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And, for some reason, they want ME on jury duty for January.

:D :n00b:

They'll probably "strike" me if I progress to that point; but you never know.

Oh, and before anyone chimes in with any of the excuses with why one should attempt to get out of it... I know that if I were on trial, I'd want folks like ME on the jury.

-J-

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Both the wife & I just got jury questionnaires in the mail.

I hate to say this but I really hope that we don't get seated, I have a bad feeling it's going to be for that double homicide that just happened across town & that will probably be a really really long trial.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Jury duty several times, but only have sat on the jury for two cases.

1) Rape case which we were a "hung jury"...one juror didn't want to send the defendant away because her own brother was wrongly accused and convicted of rape and she didn't want to send another person away. She said that from the start and then turned her chair around and ignored everyone else for the entire 6 hours of deliberation...which the entire process was pointless.

2) Attempted murder case...bunch of "thugs" tried to take out another pack of "thugs" at a skating rink. Those two defendants were found guilty on all charges.

Perhaps the most amazing thing about sitting on a jury is listening to everyone else's thought process and decision making. What they each took away from a certain part of testimony or evidence. I found too many jurors focused solely on things outside the presentation of evidence put forth by both sides, when we should have focused on the evidence admitted and the testimony.

Good luck!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    nelson_haha.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    And, for some reason, they want ME on jury duty for January.

:D :n00b:

They'll probably "strike" me if I progress to that point; but you never know.

Oh, and before anyone chimes in with any of the excuses with why one should attempt to get out of it... I know that if I were on trial, I'd want folks like ME on the jury.

-J-

Federal court? So, I guess you are in the southern district? I would love to have the opportunity to sit in a federal court trial. I've never been asked to serve on any form of jury, which leads me to wonder how that whole process works.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    All you have to do is show up in sweat pants wearing a t-shirt that is inflammatory to any specific group. I'm not talking about it being racist or rude but something that makes you highly unobjective.

NRA shirt, PETA hat, WWF tote, NOW pants suit, Human Rights Campaign turtleneck... be creative!

I keep posting this in threads and people say OMG, WTF, BBQ... teh judge will spank in you court, put you in jail and hold you in contempt1111oneoneone!!!!!!! because they think I'm telling people to show up in a KKK outfit or wear a t-shirt that says Blank the Police.

However, you should consider serving on a jury duty because it is a civic duty worth doing. Juries need good men and women serving instead of the average moron who has nothing better to do than sit at home and have their opinions solely formed by Oprah. If I were ever in a squeeze and needed a jury, I'd take 12 Indy_Guy's EVERYTIME.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Family of LEO's.

Been called many times in the last forty years or so but every time the defense finds out how many of my family are LEO's I have been excused.I would not mind sitting at least once but I now have several nephews stepping into Dad's shoes so it still looks like a F.O.P meeting at Mom's house when ever we get together! :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Both the wife & I just got jury questionnaires in the mail.

I hate to say this but I really hope that we don't get seated, I have a bad feeling it's going to be for that double homicide that just happened across town & that will probably be a really really long trial.

I'm not convinced that "the system" moves that fast. Even on a cut and dry case, it still takes MONTHS.

Federal court? So, I guess you are in the southern district? I would love to have the opportunity to sit in a federal court trial. I've never been asked to serve on any form of jury, which leads me to wonder how that whole process works.

Yep, Federal Court, Southern District. As are you. :)

You probably won't ever be seated on a jury, though. Lawyers don't like to let other lawyers get on juries it seems. I know you're not there yet...but you're close! :laugh:

I too have been summons to jury duty the first week of January 2011.

I very nearly asked you for your panel#... Decided that wouldn't be wise. No offense to you, but this is an instance where I'm glad that I've not met an INGO'er. Rather sure that they'd just as soon have 100% disassociated jurors, ya know?

I spent 7 weeks sitting on a jury. It was interesting but it's a long time.

I REALLY hope it won't last that long. If I'm seated and if something does go that long... They might have to seat an alternate in my stead due to my wife being mid-3rd trimester at that time.

Wow! Sounds just like a forum!

I'm sure you've seen the movie/s "12 Angry Men"? :D

Been called many times in the last forty years or so but every time the defense finds out how many of my family are LEO's I have been excused.I would not mind sitting at least once but I now have several nephews stepping into Dad's shoes so it still looks like a F.O.P meeting at Mom's house when ever we get together! :D

I declared two LEO relatives on my questionnaire! Both brothers-in-law. One's even a federal cop. :dunno:

I've served and I would do it again but I won't let my wife do it.

I don't know you from Adam, of course, but how could you keep her from it if she were called and/or selected?

-J-

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    She takes care of it. A little doe urine couldn't hurt though unless she knew I did it.

My experience was not good. It was a huge waste of time and confirmed every misgiving I had about the process.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    All you have to do is show up in sweat pants wearing a t-shirt that is inflammatory to any specific group. I'm not talking about it being racist or rude but something that makes you highly unobjective.

NRA shirt, PETA hat, WWF tote, NOW pants suit, Human Rights Campaign turtleneck... be creative!

I keep posting this in threads and people say OMG, WTF, BBQ... teh judge will spank in you court, put you in jail and hold you in contempt1111oneoneone!!!!!!! because they think I'm telling people to show up in a KKK outfit or wear a t-shirt that says Blank the Police.

However, you should consider serving on a jury duty because it is a civic duty worth doing. Juries need good men and women serving instead of the average moron who has nothing better to do than sit at home and have their opinions solely formed by Oprah. If I were ever in a squeeze and needed a jury, I'd take 12 Indy_Guy's EVERYTIME.
    How about a shirt that reads.

Nuke gay whales for Jesus.

That might get of off the jury

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I very nearly asked you for your panel#... Decided that wouldn't be wise. No offense to you, but this is an instance where I'm glad that I've not met an INGO'er. Rather sure that they'd just as soon have 100% disassociated jurors, ya know?

yea not sure how that would work. i guess when they call your name to go to the courtroom, keep an ear out for my name. im not really creative with nicknames and such for forums.:)

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Been as far as jury interviews twice, excused both times :D

Prosecutors don't like to hear you won't accept an LEO's version as gospel.

Public Defenders don't like to hear if convicted a suspect should receive maximum penalty.

:D Don't want my opinion, don't start your question with "In your opinion....."

:laugh:

Top Bottom