Federal grant to bring mandatory Arabic language classes to Texas public schools

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hey, that's fine and well---as long as you stop taking MY tax dollars and spending them on public education. As long as my taxes are spent on education, I have every right and responsibility to voice my concerns.

Ah, now THAT would be the ticket wouldn't? Have an opt out on education taxes, as long as your children aren't going to a public school. Even a private school that does not take federal/state funding, that could be an opt out as well. I have no qualms about that concept! :) But it has as much chance as opt out for social security. :(

Once again, money grubbers in the body politic have struck again, gotta pay those higher administrators more than they deserve and gotta line their pockets with funds too. :noway: :xmad:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Ah, now THAT would be the ticket wouldn't? Have an opt out on education taxes, as long as your children aren't going to a public school. Even a private school that does not take federal/state funding, that could be an opt out as well. I have no qualms about that concept! :) But it has as much chance as opt out for social security. :(

Once again, money grubbers in the body politic have struck again, gotta pay those higher administrators more than they deserve and gotta line their pockets with funds too. :noway: :xmad:

Agreed. Their should be an option to opt out of paying for services we don't use, especially in the case of education. But like you said, that'll never happen. Once their hands are in our pockets, good luck pulling them out. :xmad:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Not a fan of mandatory math classes? English? or just this particular language..oh yeah I know, no Health class either...right?
    Maybe I have read it entirely wrong. If so I apologize most profusely. Are you against the law that says we must educate our children, either by sending them to public or private schools or do it at home? Maybe we should let them drop out after the 6th grade...when they have finished lernin their ciphering?

Yep, I would eliminate compulsory education laws. Its none of the government's business to force an education. The government doesn't exist to craft society into educated, happy, successful, orderly, healthy little citizens. It isn't a proper role of government. The government exists to protect people's rights and issue justice. When the progressives started inserting the idea of "social justice" into government, this country began its slide downhill. School is a service, not a right -- just like health care. Forcing people to participate and pay is immoral and wrong.

America got along just fine without public schools and forced education. We created the best and freest society on earth and we had states without mandatory education laws well into the 20th century.

Socialized education is morally no different than socialized medicine. The results are the same -- Marxists demanding their entitlements of other people's money, expecting people to participate, pay for it, and like it... or be arrested.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Did you just type the asterisks out instead of letting the filter take care of it? I'm just curious because the word "dick" is still allowed in the filter and if that isn't the word that is replaced with the 4 asterisks than I have no idea what it is.

yeah its dick, but I was actually trying to tone my comment down a little so thats why I blocked it myself. I didnt want anyone passing out because they saw the word dick in that context. i figure I cant get banned for over censoring myself :):

I thought it was, "falafel."

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    E5Ranger I agree with you on a lot of your points. However, it is beneficial for us to know and learn other languages of the world so I don't think ignoring and expecting everyone else to speak our language is going to work.
    The problem I see in this federal grant is not the fact that they want to teach arabic. Its the fact that the federal government should not be involved in local education.

Me thinks that Chinese might be the way to go in the future.

Me thinks you are correct

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    do you really believe this stuff, it must be true its on the internet

The radio stations up here play advertisements for Exchange Student programs. They all portray "empty nester's" whose kid comes home and complains about their room being changed. Then the matriarch/patriarch tells their kid that it will be good for their grandchildren to know other cultures. They all end with the tag line (all 4 different variations I've heard) "Imagine, my grandson/granddaughter speaking Arabic". Why not mix it up with French/Irish/German/Russian/Chinese/Malaysian? Simple, they have an agenda to push.

Trust me, this is not isolated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Plus 1. I get sick and tired of parents pushing what they want or not want. Don't like the curriculum? Home School.
    I do, thank you. Foreign languages are/will be a part of my son's curriculum.

Not a fan of mandatory math classes? English? or just this particular language..oh yeah I know, no Health class either...right?
    I realize that you asked this of Rambone, and I'll not answer for him, only my household.

I attended some school days with my youngest son. I was a part of his classes for several days. In his first school system (we moved counties a few years ago), Spanish was madatorily being taught. I asked, "Since when? And who mandated it?" After several discussions with the classroom teacher and the principal, I was told, "We're following state law. Don't worry about it. It will benefit him in the future. Don't you want what is best for him?" I didn't have a problem with my son being taught Spanish, per se, I had a problem with not knowing that it was supposedly mandated. I questioned why a specific language was being taught and was referred back to the "Don't worry about it," conversation.

In his 7th grade health class that I attended the teacher was reading from the approved class material.

"Condoms are a safe-sex method. They are 100% effective."

"It has been proved in studies that, if a person inhales as little as one puff off of a cigarette, it takes five years off their lifespan. Addiction will set in after as little as one puff for most first-time users."

Say what?!?

So we (wifey and I) took direct charge of boy's education after numerous discussions with the school and local police about drug dealing and drug use in the school and on boy's bus. We homeschool after seeing the lack of correct information, IMO, that was being taught. We homeschool after experiencing the "You're not wanted here" atmosphere that was prevalent in boy's last school system and our local school system in questioning what was taught, why it was taught and when it is taught.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I think its awesome to have broader languages offered, but not manadatory. Arabic is a language you have to take time with to learn, I've had two years and still have a heck of a time with it. I see it as a benefit further down the road so we have more citizens who can help with all of the problems in the Middle East by making kit much easier to communicate and understand what they are saying.

Top Bottom