Federal grant to bring mandatory Arabic language classes to Texas public schools

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    A federal grant being "awarded" to the Mansfield School District in Texas, and will make it mandatory for students in their elementary schools and intermediate schools.

Not that learning a language is notable or wrong in and of itself... but it should not be mandatory, it should not be tax funded, and schools should not be compelled to do certain things based on the decisions of bureaucrats in Washington. And students should not be forced to attend these indoctrination centers under the law.

Mandatory Arabic language classes coming to Texas school district

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Not that learning a language is notable or wrong in and of itself... but it should not be mandatory, it should not be tax funded, and schools should not be compelled to do certain things based on the decisions of bureaucrats in Washington.
    Learning Spanish was mandatory in both of my son's last public schools.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I had a choice between Spanish, French and German. I chose Spanish. In todays society learning Arabic could benefit a lot of students when they get older.

We'll still be occupying the Middle East when these elementary school kids graduate high school, so yeah, they have opportunities in future government employment.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I'm not a fan of any mandatory education.
    Nor am I, other than what I deem necessary for my children.

The point I left unsaid is that some of my neighbors are upset that Arabic was being mandated but they have no problem with Spanish being mandated. The idea of something being Arab is inflammatory while any other language is treated as benign.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Nor am I, other than what I deem necessary for my children.

The point I left unsaid is that some of my neighbors are upset that Arabic was being mandated but they have no problem with Spanish being mandated. The idea of something being Arab is inflammatory while any other language is treated as benign.

Yeah, I posted this because maybe it will bring to light an issue that runs deeper than people's dislike of Arabic. The deeper issue of course being that Washington D.C. controls their child's education.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    It is impossible to learn a language and become proficient at it without learning at least some about the culture. By saying they won't be learning about Islam will make it very difficult for the students to pass a class that they are required to take.

It almost seems like a test to see how effective American students can learn a language as difficult as Arabic by requiring all students to take it. Thankfully, it looks like the parents are going to vote down and reject the "grant" and retain control of the foreign languages being required.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    i dont need a grant to put a **** in my mouth and talk. my kid wont speak sand language unless she decides to do it herself as an adult.

Did you just type the asterisks out instead of letting the filter take care of it? I'm just curious because the word "dick" is still allowed in the filter and if that isn't the word that is replaced with the 4 asterisks than I have no idea what it is.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Did you just type the asterisks out instead of letting the filter take care of it? I'm just curious because the word "dick" is still allowed in the filter and if that isn't the word that is replaced with the 4 asterisks than I have no idea what it is.

yeah its dick, but I was actually trying to tone my comment down a little so thats why I blocked it myself. I didnt want anyone passing out because they saw the word dick in that context. i figure I cant get banned for over censoring myself :):

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    yeah its dick, but I was actually trying to tone my comment down a little so thats why I blocked it myself. I didnt want anyone passing out because they saw the word dick in that context. i figure I cant get banned for over censoring myself :):

Haha, I hear ya, I was just messing around. You probably played that one right.

I can see INGO's next :poop: storm from everyone named Richard that uses the short version.

I can't say I'd be happy if when I typed out my full first name it read ***jamin...Damn, my screen name would end up being ***ny.:laugh:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm not a fan of any mandatory education.

Not a fan of mandatory math classes? English? or just this particular language..oh yeah I know, no Health class either...right?
    Maybe I have read it entirely wrong. If so I apologize most profusely. Are you against the law that says we must educate our children, either by sending them to public or private schools or do it at home? Maybe we should let them drop out after the 6th grade...when they have finished lernin their ciphering?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    A) Washington shouldn't be involved in local public education.
    B) The local school system applied for, and accepted the grant.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    i dont need a grant to put a **** in my mouth and talk. my kid wont speak sand language unless she decides to do it herself as an adult.

I agree 100%.

My perspective is this:

I abhor the government mandating that I or my children be taught a language other than English. However, I am on board with the children of our nation learning other languages.

I took many years of Spanish. I hate the language, but it HAS proven useful. It plays a part in helping me maintain my safety at work, and it's very useful in the Law Enforcement field.

In regards to Arabic, let's set aside PC for a minute. A select group of people using Arabic as their primary language has declared us to be an enemy. Seems to me it'd be a good idea to learn their language---you never know when it could be useful.

I'm just of the opinion that the parents should be free to make the choice.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Not a fan of mandatory math classes? English? or just this particular language..oh yeah I know, no Health class either...right?
    Maybe I have read it entirely wrong. If so I apologize most profusely. Are you against the law that says we must educate our children, either by sending them to public or private schools or do it at home? Maybe we should let them drop out after the 6th grade...when they have finished lernin their ciphering?

Plus 1. I get sick and tired of parents pushing what they want or not want. Don't like the curriculum? Home School.

I will say "mandatory" language classes are fine in my book. We are lacking in innovation on the world scene to the point of being a cultural and technological anachronism on the world stage. Want the US to be a powerful world leader/player again? Then teach your kids the other languages of the world.

Upon reading alot of the stories that have "mandated" specific languages are often misread and in practice are mandatory "other than english" language curriculum, not just a specific one. Folks take one part of the story and run with it like a nitwit with scissors. The story in the OP makes it seem like it's mandated Arabic, but has nothing on the school's part, so I am taking a blogger's garbage opinion (as there is little supporting fact outside of a snippet from CBS :n00b: ). Boy, we remember what happened with the USDA lady didn't we? Alot of foot in mouth that day... :rolleyes:

Expecting US linguistic hegemony to make up for your lack of planning of your child's life or surplus of ethnocentrism is akin to demanding welfare without working a single day of your life... Cultural entitlement at it's best.

Want your kid to succeed? Teach them another language. It isn't about pride, its a requirement of the world stage. To expect the world to speak english because your American is just stupid. Adapt and overcome, that is what America is about. America is about diversity, freedom and innovation. Let your frickin' PRIDE, scratch that, HUBRIS take a hit and learn to speak another language. Might get you a job someday... :twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Plus 1. I get sick and tired of parents pushing what they want or not want. Don't like the curriculum? Home School.

I will say "mandatory" language classes are fine in my book. We are lacking in innovation on the world scene to the point of being a cultural and technological anachronism on the world stage. Want the US to be a powerful world leader/player again? Then teach your kids the other languages of the world.

Upon reading alot of the stories that have "mandated" specific languages are often misread and in practice are mandatory "other than english" language curriculum, not just a specific one. Folks take one part of the story and run with it like a nitwit with scissors. The story in the OP makes it seem like it's mandated Arabic, but has nothing on the school's part, so I am taking a blogger's garbage opinion (as there is little supporting fact outside of a snippet from CBS :n00b: ). Boy, we remember what happened with the USDA lady didn't we? Alot of foot in mouth that day... :rolleyes:

Expecting US linguistic hegemony to make up for your lack of planning of your child's life or surplus of ethnocentrism is akin to demanding welfare without working a single day of your life... Cultural entitlement at it's best.

Want your kid to succeed? Teach them another language. It isn't about pride, its a requirement of the world stage. To expect the world to speak english because your American is just stupid. Adapt and overcome, that is what America is about. America is about diversity, freedom and innovation. Let your frickin' PRIDE, scratch that, HUBRIS take a hit and learn to speak another language. Might get you a job someday... :twocents:

being American use to be about knowing your the best. now the "world tree hugger crowd" is teaching us to diversify and lose our identity as Americans and accept all types and change who we are, etc, etc. sorry, but English IS the international language of business. we need to stop compromising and letting the rest of the world try to change the facts. America IS the best and we need to make everyone else realize it. stop changing to be what other people want. someone walks up to me and starts speaking another language in my country then I friggen ignore them. they can at least try to speak english out of respect for this country. Im not stupid. the idiots who come here and dont speak english are stupid. I dont apologize for being proud of who i am. it has nothing to do with being white, black, yellow, tan, etc. America is all races, but we are ENGLISH speaking. This is how we are losing our national identity. soon people will be asking why we even have seperate countries since we all speak each others languages and pay for each others stuff, and feed and cloth each other, etc. they will be calling for a "new world order". oh thats right, they are already doing that. stop bending over america and be proud of who we started out as.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Esranger, it's your right to ignore them, it's your right to be proud. But for our nation to succeed overseas and on the world stage, we cannot unless we take a bit of a "hit" to our arrogance for once, at least in language. Due to spending, craziness of politicians and other BS, we aren't a superpower anymore. Economically, we cant sustain anything. Politically, we are a joke full of hypocrisy. Militarily, we are encumbered by a body politic that is willing to send our troops to ungrateful nations and adventures for resource treasures, while stabbing them in the back.

Daddy's America is long gone, shot down in a blaze of glory by greedy pensioners and those who got what they wanted by making systems to screw the younger generations over, while the Ship of America limps back to port, ruined financially and culturally due to our debts to other nations. We now have to build a nation that is as diverse as it's members. Sure, make English the official and ONLY language, I have no qualms. But to expect other nations, who have their prides and their arrogance as much as ours, to speak english is stupidity, unless we have them at gunpoint.

I love America, but hate the body politic. I love diversity and the things that make America truely wonderful, I hate illegal immigration. I love English, but I hate those who force it upon me because they cannot accept a world outside of their own (i.e. When I speak Spanish to a friend at a bar who was a Mexican, now legal citizen, only to have an unassociated party, some chaw spittin' hick, tell ME to go back to Mexico). I love education, but realize that if I don't speak english within US borders, I am screwed in my options for employment. I love programs that encourage diversity, but hate when ethnocentrism and arrogance close them down. I love the power and strength the US has to offer on the world stage, but hate how we were ONCE the number one debtor to the world, but now have all the debts due to frivolous spending and bloody adventurism overseas to satisfy hubris and resource hunger.

I will agree with you ESR, I am a nut though! :)

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    they should not mandate this or fund it this pc crap is out of hand after listening to some of our young people speak they should spend more time teaching the english language jmo

Top Bottom