• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone know why nps.gov is closed but whitehouse.gov isn't?

p.s. Is purple for rhetorical questions, too?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Just a ploy to pi$$ off folks. Can't view Mt. Rushmore, can't boat in the ocean, can't walk down certain sidewalks, etc.

I tried to download a couple maps from USGS today. The site was functional, let me pick the maps I wanted all the way up to the download section. That's where I got the govt shut down message on my screen. I could do everything I wanted/needed to do on the site except the actual download. Tell me that wasn't designed with the sole purpose of pi$$ing off the user.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    i am in a class called Computers in Society and was doing a paper today that required me to get on to several different government run websites and they are all operational but all have this shutdown disclaimer at the top. Some functions are disabled and in the disclaimer they are saying that information may be out of date due to the shutdown. I'm sorry, but there are thousands of IT people at the government and there is no reason these sites should be inoperable. I'm getting so fed up with the games this administration is playing. I hope these antics fire up the conservatives to actually put forth respectable candidates in 2014 and 2016. Hopefully we make it that long, I fear the damage done may be undo-able.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    i am in a class called Computers in Society and was doing a paper today that required me to get on to several different government run websites and they are all operational but all have this shutdown disclaimer at the top. Some functions are disabled and in the disclaimer they are saying that information may be out of date due to the shutdown. I'm sorry, but there are thousands of IT people at the government and there is no reason these sites should be inoperable. I'm getting so fed up with the games this administration is playing. I hope these antics fire up the conservatives to actually put forth respectable candidates in 2014 and 2016. Hopefully we make it that long, I fear the damage done may be undo-able.

Yes, it's goofy...they can pay for the electricity to run the sites with a "we're closed" message but don't have the content accessible? That takes a special kind of *******.

Too bad mid-term elections aren't this November....

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Yeah, they still are pushing electrons to the sites. Still wasting tax payer money. It's a political scam. I could understand if they didn't want to pay admins to update content or what not, but even if they did that; the sites could remain up and just hum along with the same old content. Putting a banner up makes no sense. Besides, they probably have those domains paid for until eternity and the SSL certs are probably good for like 10 years.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    i imagine the only part of the shutdown that affected these web pages was not updating. the rest is political BS. they had to pay someone to take down links and post that ominous banner, block off parks to our vets, close whatever PRIVATE businesses are being closed, and all the other things they are trying to scare us with; they could have saved some of that money to keep some things going.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just a ploy to pi$$ off folks. Can't view Mt. Rushmore, can't boat in the ocean, can't walk down certain sidewalks, etc.

I tried to download a couple maps from USGS today. The site was functional, let me pick the maps I wanted all the way up to the download section. That's where I got the govt shut down message on my screen. I could do everything I wanted/needed to do on the site except the actual download. Tell me that wasn't designed with the sole purpose of pi$$ing off the user.

Well they had to furlow the guy who feeds the hamster that runs the wheel that powers the internet. If only someone could sneak that little guy some food so he'd have enough energy to power the download matrix flux capacitor.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    they've paid more affecting the shutdown than they would have paid to keep things open. guards for barricades instead of guards for the property.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    If you go to the wayback machine, you can get older versions of some of the pages. Once this is behind us, someone will need to run a wget on all the "good" sites and keep an archive in case of a future shutdown....

Top Bottom