• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just bought a box of 50 Federal .40 S&W 180gr FMJ from Walmart. The box was a bit beat up, I took it home and opened it.

1st: There are 49 bullets, not 50 -_-
    2nd: The casings are kinda dirty and spotty. Is that normal for this brand? Almost like covered in water spots.
    3rd: There are tiny dents on some of the casings and the bullet itself.

Should I return these, or is this typical?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    sounds like really old ammo.... who did you buy it from... unless you got one heck of a deal on it i would say take it back and get a new box... but if you paid 8 bucks for it or something then i say it was probably a fair transaction

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've picked up a couple of boxes of the Federal .40 from Wal-Mart and never had the missing rounds issue. However my rounds do have the same "beat up" look. There are no dents on my casings but there are on the bullet itself.

However it's been my understanding that Wal-Mart does not allow returns on ammunition.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've picked up a couple of boxes of the Federal .40 from Wal-Mart and never had the missing rounds issue. However my rounds do have the same "beat up" look. There are no dents on my casings but there are on the bullet itself.

However it's been my understanding that Wal-Mart does not allow returns on ammunition.
    Bingo on no ammunition returns. You may be out of luck.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, quick response here -

Drove back up there. No one in the ammo area, as per the usual. An associate walked by, I asked if she could help. She grabbed the last box (looked cleaner, better), and walked it up to customer service with me.

The guy up there didn't ask questions, or care... and just gave me the other box without doing any receipt work, and marked the trashy one out.

The bullets still have spots on the casings, but I guess that's not a big deal. There were 50 in the box :P

Thanks for the quick input. He seemed aware of the "no ammo return" policy, but just acted as though I never left the store. Right on

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I just looked in my ammo cabinet, realizing that I bought the same type of ammo, Federal Champion. The bullets have slight dents and the entire round looks "dirty". The base of the casings look pretty, but that's it.

It almost looks like the bullets were jacketed poorly, although I did just find a small chunk missing at the top of one casing :xmad: (make that two now). I'm examining a box of 50 .40S&W as I'm typing this...sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Imperfections in the jacketing/cast?
    0727091853.jpg

0727091854.jpg

Looks like a hole to the lead
    0727091856.jpg

That's about a 1/8" long "crease"
    0727091857.jpg

0727091858.jpg

0727091900.jpg

0727091900a.jpg

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Was the first time the gun had been fired :) One stuck casing, and a couple rounds not placed fully. Again, prolly not the bullets, just wearing the gun in. After those, it shot very smoothly

Top Bottom