Fast Food Workers strike to DOUBLE wages.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm sure a business whose entire focus is ensuring that their food is extremely cheap will elect to double the wages of easily replaceable employees. I'm sure that this will not increase the push for greater automation in the fast-food industry, and that they can simply protest for a "living wage" without any negative consequences whatsoever.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I notice the communist agitators have a website already in place,

Called it. I knew communism was just around the corner.

Help me out here, what exactly is communist about banding together to increase your bargaining power and then trying to get better pay or working conditions from your employer?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The fact that 1 person attended college does not make them a better person or more due a fulfilled life than someone who didn't.

:+1: I went to college and I could not agree more with this statement. After all, look at all the college educated people who voted for Obama-Biden. Educated ≠ Intelligent.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Most McDonalds are.holding open interviews and struggling to fill Closing and 3rd shift positions and are low on managers and people.to train the crew.

If the employees are so easily replaced why didn't they just fire them all for walking out? I bet they welcome them right back in and if they don't succeed with the bargaining efforts they will just get the minimum raise again and a written reprimand on the review.

I'm rooting for the employees and hope they get their union.

As far as a college education goes. I made nearly straight As in high school and college just seems like a complete waste of time. I really wish that law enforcement wasn't getting as competitive. They don't even care what degree you hold. And it just puts public service workers in debt for a low lying job. At least they have the waiver plan, but still.
    The criminology and law enforcement college classes are so simple and much of it is stuff i learned in high school or from google, and you would learn 20 times as much in a fraction of the time with on the job training.

I am seriously.thinking.about.just going with corrections or private security.and dropping to part time student.just to get ahead and make money while.going to school. Working in restaurants and.gas stations just buries you financially.

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The level of economic awareness in this thread is truly astounding. Part time burger flipping jobs are not skilled labor. The idea that anyone would want to make that their life's work is insane. Those jobs are there for people starting out. To learn to get out of bed and show up on time. To learn to deal with the public and to work as pert of a team.

That they are the only jobs available and are needed to support a family is the direct result of the economic morass we are stuck in right now. The anti-business government is the problem. Employers aren't there to provide for the social welfare of anyone. They don't "owe" anyone a job, let alone a certain wage. They are there to make a profit. To earn a reward for putting their own capital at risk. They are there to make money for themselves and their shareholders.

Ask the folks in DC what happens when you force a wage level that isn't realistic for the services performed (read Wal Mart) and don't provide a reasonable value added. What happens is the businesses leave.

Detroit ring a bell?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's a crazy thought: if you want to make $15 and hour, acquire skills to get a job that pays $15 an hour.

I suppose I could have stayed working in that grocery store I started in at age 15 and just demanded raises, but I, like most people, I used that as a springboard to more skills and better wages.

Minimum wage was never, and should never be tied to a head of household "living wage". That is not its purpose.

[edit]...and let them unionize and strike, just as long as the business owners are allowed to fire whoever they want and hire whoever they want for those jobs. Freedom goes both ways.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do the words "entry level position" hold any meaning for anyone?

No. They have a certain ability to produce so they should not be expected to increase that ability. Also, they need more money than they have so they should get more.

....boy that sounds like something....I can't quite put my finger on it.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    No. They have a certain ability to produce so they should not be expected to increase that ability. Also, they need more money than they have so they should get more.

....boy that sounds like something....I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Here's a hint....
    "From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."
    - Karl Marx

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Who cares? If every McDonald's, Burger King, White Castle, Hardees, Wendy's and Taco Bell closed it's doors tomorrow I'd be inconvenienced by needed to find someplace else to eat 3 or 4 times a year.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I say let them unionize, and when there fast food joint goes under due to be non competitive they can see what it is like to be unempolyed

If a person chooses to join a private sector union then that is their right to do so. I have no problem with that.

But if the employees and the unions demand unreasonable pay, then that not only affects the consumer's prices, it also affects the owner of that fast food store. The family that owns that store is probably going to be filing bankruptcy when this is all over. Most franchise owners own a few shops. Their entire life is wrapped up in those stores and I see this as a way to destroy them.

I'm not saying that the workers shouldn't have the right to ask for more, but I'm not saying that they deserve more pay either. And if they shut these shops down and create even more unemployment then I think we will all be worse off for their misguided efforts.

Who cares? If every McDonald's, Burger King, White Castle, Hardees, Wendy's and Taco Bell closed it's doors tomorrow I'd be inconvenienced by needed to find someplace else to eat 3 or 4 times a year.

But at the same time the cities/states will collect less tax revenues from the lack of profits. The stores will likely sit vacant, so property taxes will go unpaid. This will affect more than just the few visits you make to a drive-through window, it will affect a lot of people and a lot of communities that rely on those tax revenues.

Right. Because we all want to spend just as much at McDonald's as we would at a steakhouse.

Expect those steakhouse workers to demand similar increases, and demand steakhouse prices to climb unreasonably too.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Listen up folks. The American Family Farmers used to grow the majority of the food that was eaten by the population of Our United States. I will agree to a doubling of the pay they receive. I will always think they need a major pay increase.

Today's middleman in the food chain, that gives us the process foods we all love to eat, already makes lots and lots of dollars, so I don't think they need a big pay increase. Why are Cereals so darn expensive? (a retorical question)

The Fast Food worker who actually cooks the food, puts the food into a bag, then puts the food on the counter or takes it to the drive-up window is the person who actually feeds the majority of the United States' population. The Fast Food Worker does about all that Mom used to do. So if you equat the FFW to Mom, I can see why they think they need a big pay increase. Like Mom used to do, they feed our Families. OK............really?

Top Bottom