Fast Food Workers strike to DOUBLE wages.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I essentially work minimum wage, and while I would love to get more money, I realise raising minimum wage would just increase the prices of everything else. I trade a raise for more respect given to me by customers. Some of them are just turds that treat you like crap because they realize you can't do anything if you want to keep your job. I always have secretly wished some retail worker would snap and go on some customer killing/maiming spree so that some of these people would think twice about how they treat people they have power over.

Get used to it Buddie.
    It's going to happen for the rest of your life.
    And if it isn't the customers, it's your boss.

Get the skills and education to get a better job or learn to live with it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I find it funny(sad actually) that those "striking" for higher wages are the same people who usually cannot get my simple order right when I go through the drive through.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Get used to it Buddie.
    It's going to happen for the rest of your life.
    And if it isn't the customers, it's your boss.

Get the skills and education to get a better job or learn to live with it.

I just graduated from Ball State and am moving in a couple of weeks and will hopefully find a better job.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I find it funny(sad actually) that those "striking" for higher wages are the same people who usually cannot get my simple order right when I go through the drive through.

And this is my feelings as well.

Get some skills and move up the chain. Look at those who are marching. They look like folks who will be trapped in this rut for eternity. These are not career positions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I essentially work minimum wage, and while I would love to get more money, I realise raising minimum wage would just increase the prices of everything else. I trade a raise for more respect given to me by customers. Some of them are just turds that treat you like crap because they realize you can't do anything if you want to keep your job. I always have secretly wished some retail worker would snap and go on some customer killing/maiming spree so that some of these people would think twice about how they treat people they have power over.

The customer relations I had over the years was wonderful. The new (last 5 years) customers I had to deal with for the most part were and still are total A$$ bags. It is the new way of doing things.
    It is also the reason I hung up my spurs. Done and gone.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    $15 per hour Minimum Wage = ROBOTS and Lower Employment!

I used to own a reasonably large warehouse. Even with a low minimum wage we did everything we could to automate our system. Bar codes on cases and scanners counted the boxes and checked to make sure the correct item was on the automated conveyor system for sorting by truck delivery route. And had I not retired, I'm sure I'd have continued to further automate the systems to reduce manpower.

But look at McDonalds, they have automated drink dispensing systems now. Portion control system exist in the kitchen area already.

Machines are already very reliable and when they break they can be repaired pretty quickly. They do not take off on sunny days to go to the beach or snowy days to go skiing. They don't arive late or try to sneak out early. Machines don't slip their friends Whoppers for the price of a $1 Value burger. The time required to get a return on investment for a machine will be cut by 50% if the price of labor doubles.

So when I said ROBOTS in my first line of this post, I was serious. What is an automatic cup dispenser if not a robot? What is a bar code scanner that is connected to conveyor system that sorts boxes and cases if not a robot?

Give me a Fast Foot operation with 15 employees making $8 per hour, raise their pay to $15 per hour, and I will return you a Fast Food operation with 7 or 8 employees, a bunch of automated machines, and a world of higer unemployment but continued lower prices.

Sure we will still need workers. But only about 1/2 of them.

And it won't stop at Fast Food places. It will happen everywhere that is labor intensive. The more labor intensive the job, the more likely it is to become automated in some way.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville

I used to own a reasonably large warehouse. Even with a low minimum wage we did everything we could to automate our system. Bar codes on cases and scanners counted the boxes and checked to make sure the correct item was on the automated conveyor system for sorting by truck delivery route. And had I not retired, I'm sure I'd have continued to further automate the systems to reduce manpower.

But look at McDonalds, they have automated drink dispensing systems now. Portion control system exist in the kitchen area already.

Machines are already very reliable and when they break they can be repaired pretty quickly. They do not take off on sunny days to go to the beach or snowy days to go skiing. They don't arive late or try to sneak out early. Machines don't slip their friends Whoppers for the price of a $1 Value burger. The time required to get a return on investment for a machine will be cut by 50% if the price of labor doubles.

So when I said ROBOTS in my first line of this post, I was serious. What is an automatic cup dispenser if not a robot? What is a bar code scanner that is connected to conveyor system that sorts boxes and cases if not a robot?

Give me a Fast Foot operation with 15 employees making $8 per hour, raise their pay to $15 per hour, and I will return you a Fast Food operation with 7 or 8 employees, a bunch of automated machines, and a world of higer unemployment but continued lower prices.

And it won't stop at Fast Food places. It will happen everywhere that is labor intensive. The more labor intensive the job, the more likely it is to become automated in some way.
    Just look at the auto industry. They demanded and demanded higher wages and they got them at the cost of hundreds of thousands of jobs lost to robotics.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ALL work, from the owner on down to the lowest level employee should have their income decided by the market.

But in the bigger picture, if the government got out of the way and out of the crony capitalism business, and just let the markets work, the economy would come back, and there wouldn't be people lining up for hamburger flipping jobs.

The key ISN'T forcing an artificial non-market based wage, but in an expanding economy with more opportunities.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just graduated from Ball State and am moving in a couple of weeks and will hopefully find a better job.

Congratulations!:yesway:

I hope you find your dream job and enjoy it for all of your working life!

You'll always have a boss and he might be a nice guy or he might be a real @#$%&*$%#@!
    If you can be easily replaced, you're less likely to be treated well.
    If what you do is in high demand and there are few people who can do it, you're much more likely to be treated with respect and valued.

Apparently, there are hundreds of millions of people who do not understand supply and demand.

Good Luck and Dominus Vobiscum!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

Job security for me, I went to school for robotics and automation. It is a great line of work to get into, I love my job and the paycheck is rather nice too.

Top Bottom