• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Does anybody know what an average time is for cowboy fast draw? I was playing around today and went from a little over a second to .81 in a few shots and want to have a goal to work towards (besides mundens time).

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The current World Fast Draw Association (WFDA) record for Open Class Fast Draw in an event called Standing Balloons is .208 seconds - and that includes the time it takes to react, draw, fire and pop a balloon target at eight feet away. - Wikipedia
    .208, that's the time to beat.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well i got 3 hits on a coke can with a time of .81 on my 4th shot i missed with a .80. I am going to go back with a roughrider with nsil gun blanks to work on the speed and then use dads gun to combine speed and accuracy so i dont wear it out its an old vaquero with a latger cylinder so i dont want to use it too much

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does anybody know what an average time is for cowboy fast draw? I was playing around today and went from a little over a second to .81 in a few shots and want to have a goal to work towards (besides mundens time).

Google match results for quick draw competitions and you'll have your benchmarks.

How are you timing yourself? What kind of holster rig are you using?

For some of the people who are unfamiliar with quick draw or others who are not familiar with the action shooting sports that involve drawing the gun, the two do not have much in common. Quick draw procedures are completely different than what we do in USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, NRA AP, etc., so comparisons or applying the standards of one to the other have minimal relevance.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well i got 3 hits on a coke can with a time of .81 on my 4th shot i missed with a .80. I am going to go back with a roughrider with nsil gun blanks to work on the speed and then use dads gun to combine speed and accuracy so i dont wear it out its an old vaquero with a latger cylinder so i dont want to use it too much

I wouldn't worry about wearing out a Vaquero.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Right now Im using a crappy shot timer app on my phone. a couple years ago i was timed on one of the wax bullet timer plate thingies at .76sec but i haven't done any of this since then so im up in the .8s again. I'll post a pic of the rig im using right now in the morning, it isn't the best there is a lot of drag and it doesn't have a bullet shield so im pretty sure i cant use it in competition if i ever got good enough. My dad made it years ago out of some softer leather. Im going to try and talk him into making me a better one. As for the gun its dads otherwise i would use it more but i have a tendency to wear six guns out done replaced the internals of my remy 3 or 4 times and my rough rider twice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to need to see video if you're claiming 3 shots on a can from a holster with a signal action in less than a second... :popcorn:

It's more believable if you understand the technique. Colt SAA Peacemakers and their clones cycle really, really fast and are limited only by how fast you can cock the hammer. In this case, when multiple shots are fired a one target, the shooter pulls their offhand thumb and then fingers (individually) across the hammer spur while holding the trigger to the rear.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    They were three shots each .81 time not all three in .81 which is still possible for the guys and gals that know what they are doing. Normally the shots are at balloons and they are popped by a black powder blank loaded with 1f it ends up like a shot gun blast so its easier to make a hit than you would think. If i have time i may try to get a video of just a draw with a primed case so i can do it at home.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a video uploading on youtube of a couple of my draws i believe all of them were in the .8s one might have been in the upper .7s. After i made the video after about 3 or 4 shots i got it down to .74 my goal for the end of the week is to be in the .6s and keep working from there.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    At the recent 2-day cowboy shoot at Paradise Pass (west of Warsaw), I watched 'Deuce Stevens" (previous National Champion) shoot 10 pistols rounds, 10 rifle rounds and 6 shotgun, plus movement betwen 3 windows, in less than 14 seconds. That with single action pistols, lever rifle and a double barrel shotgun (w/o ejectors); plus he did not miss. That is smokin' fast.....

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    ok here is my not so fast fast draw attempts. these were using just primed cases so I could do it inside.

[video=youtube;Cgxq5JHsl7k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgxq5JHsl7k&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Top Bottom