• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    You sure they were F/A-18s (twin tail, twin engines, side intakes)? Reason I ask is that my office in Carmel was overflown several times by a 4-ship of F-16s (single tail, single engine, chin intake) early this afternoon. I figured it either had to do with the Memorial Day thing downtown, or practice for the race.

I used to see 4 ship F-16s once in awhile in Noblesville. I got to watch a couple of pretty good airshows from my porch that way! There's an ANG unit in Fort Wayne, perhaps they come south to play every so often?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The F/A 18 Hornet and Super Hornet are Navy/Marine Corps aircraft. They were originally the F17 and had a fly off with the F16 for Air Force testing. The Air Force took the F16 and the F17, after some modification, became the F/A 18. I think the Navy got the better end of the deal. Of course being a Navy vet my opinion may be biased! The Super Hornet is bigger and badder than the Hornet and will eventually replace all Hornets. The Navy likes twin engined a/c because they operate over such long stretches of ocean.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Quite a few years back I got to see the blue angels practice in Pensacola, Florida. Needless to say I was like a kid in a candy shop watching them things. They have got some serious horsepower the last one that took off turned straight up and powered up into the sky like a rocket. Then came back around and did about a 45 degree stall about 100 feet off the ground friggin awesome!!! :patriot:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Quite a few years back I got to see the blue angels practice in Pensacola, Florida. Needless to say I was like a kid in a candy shop watching them things. They have got some serious horsepower the last one that took off turned straight up and powered up into the sky like a rocket. Then came back around and did about a 45 degree stall about 100 feet off the ground friggin awesome!!! :patriot:

I want to plan a trip to the Naval Air Museum there on a weekend when the Blue Angles are practicing. That museum is awesome if you love Naval Aviation as much as I do.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My dad had some footage (movies) of BI-planes landing on his aircraft carrier! British; landed 180 degrees/opposite direction that our regular planes landed.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    They are definitely F18 Super Hornets. They flew over my house 5 or 6 times earlier this afternoon practicing. A VERY cool site to see.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe what we have here is 4 of the 5 that were waking up the neighborhood up north with the beautiful music of military engines!

picture.php

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    Back in 2003 I got to see a F18 drop some much needed love onto some BG's in Iraq. I don't know how big it was but it def got the job done! It was awesome because we didn't even know what was going on.
    " Hey look at that 18, he's inverted?! Oh ****, he's onto something!" swoop down and then right back up "BOOM" "THAT WAS AWESOME!!!" "Yeah, but that was only about a click away and we didn't know they were even there!" "Oh, yeah thats kinda scary huh? oh well, still pretty cool!":rockwoot:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom