• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    The prosecutor doesn't handle civil suits against municipalities; he only prosecutes crimes and infractions. The city attorney handles this stuff, but many cities retain outside counsel as well for litigation purposes. The Mayor/council is normally who makes the decisions on these suits.

Thanks... I've never had a run-in with the law ( knock on wood) so I don't know how it all works, heck I've only been in the court house one time and that was over 30 years ago.

I'd just like to know if their is a elected official behind all of this so I can get the word out to get rid of the anti 2A prick. :)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Thanks... I've never had a run-in with the law ( knock on wood) so I don't know how it all works, heck I've only been in the court house one time and that was over 30 years ago.

I'd just like to know if their is a elected official behind all of this so I can get the word out to get rid of the anti 2A prick. :)

Call and talk to the mayor's office plus the council members. Ask WTF they think they are doing with your tax money.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Call and talk to the mayor's office plus the council members. Ask WTF they think they are doing with your tax money.

Wasting it outright when they aren't funneling it to the K--well, a certain group of realtors--who get most every piece of what would be viable real estate in the city plus cash and then completely ruin it/destroy historic value through sheer stupidity.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Awesome.

Next steps? The city will probably seek review by the Indiana Supreme Court. That process is known as seeking "transfer." In this kind of case, the ISC does not have to review it. Generally, civil cases have a low percentage of transfers. This, however, is a unique case, so it is hard to tell whether they will take it or not.

It'll take roughly 60 days for the parties to request/respond to transfer. After that, it will be up to the ISC to decide whether to take it, which could take weeks or months.

ETA:
    Solid, solid win. Decent analysis by Baker, too, although I'm a bit surprised May and Barteau didn't offer any dissent or concurrence in result. After reading it, I actually doubt ISC will take transfer. Would rather see how it plays out.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Transfer denied. So, the Indiana Supreme Court declined to hear the case.

I'd suspect a quick settlement from the City of Evansville, but they've misplayed their hand in this litigation before.

ETA:
    Congrats to TF and Guy for fighting the good fight. :)

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Transfer denied. So, the Indiana Supreme Court declined to hear the case.

I'd suspect a quick settlement from the City of Evansville, but they've misplayed their hand in this litigation before.

ETA:
    Congrats to TF and Guy for fighting the good fight. :)

Was the "blind squirrel" reference to me or the Supreme Court? :D

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I would be curious to know how much the city spent on this attempt to defend their lawless behavior.
    Public Access to Records Request to the City Controller for fees paid to their private firm, Ziemer Stayman Weitzel& Shoulders, LLP .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thank you, my friend. In light of the Supreme Court's denial of transfer, the Court of Appeals has certified its opinion, available here: https://publicaccess.courts.in.gov/Appellate/Document?id=2e2a9435-7447-4682-9109-0b55675ef652

Guy

I am happy to see things work out in the end, and hopefully this will give Evansville an incentive to put the brakes on its steady stream of stupid attacks.

I am left with one question: If you could rewind to day one, would you have done anything significant different than they way you did it?

Top Bottom