• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Uh.. shouldn't Guy be buying the drinks and dinner? I mean, the damages are just to make the victim whole. Its the attorneys who profit! ;) :D

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    DITTO!!! I love free food!

Even a Moochy Meal?

would-you-eat-this-public-school-lunch-michelle-obama-lets-move.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    TH, you don't have to answer this if you don't want to. I'm curious as to how the financing of this case case played out. Were the lawyer's fees payed out as you go or at the verdict. Either way is very daunting to a person like me. If I had to pay out as I went, I wouldn't be able to afford it. If the settlement was to pay it, I couldn't pursue it on the off chance that I would lose and owe multiple thousands that i do not have.

Just wondering.

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Awesome.

Next steps? The city will probably seek review by the Indiana Supreme Court. That process is known as seeking "transfer." In this kind of case, the ISC does not have to review it. Generally, civil cases have a low percentage of transfers. This, however, is a unique case, so it is hard to tell whether they will take it or not.

It'll take roughly 60 days for the parties to request/respond to transfer. After that, it will be up to the ISC to decide whether to take it, which could take weeks or months.

ETA:
    Solid, solid win. Decent analysis by Baker, too, although I'm a bit surprised May and Barteau didn't offer any dissent or concurrence in result. After reading it, I actually doubt ISC will take transfer. Would rather see how it plays out.

They officially petitioned the Appeals court for a re-hearing :): I guess the city attorney wanted another smackdown by the court.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Since prosecutors ar normally judged by their success in winning cases, he will need to plea out many cases to bury this one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cronyism is the watchword of ALL politicians that is where nepotism is not possible.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If Evansville is anything like Hammond, the mayors' buddies were contracted to defend the city.

Good point. Evansville politics would have to improve to get up to being merely filthy. Just as crooked as Chicago and little if any more effort made to hide it than Chicago makes.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    T.F..... Who is the prosecutor? If you can say. I'd like to spread the word to all my working buddies before the next election.

The prosecutor doesn't handle civil suits against municipalities; he only prosecutes crimes and infractions. The city attorney handles this stuff, but many cities retain outside counsel as well for litigation purposes. The Mayor/council is normally who makes the decisions on these suits.

Top Bottom