Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I was at an auction last week. A ruger single six .22 with both cylinders sold for $1050.00 + 10% buyer preimum + 35 mi one way trip to do the $20.00 paper work. The ruger was nothing special. They sold an 870 with a plain and slug barrels for $750.00 + + . Outrageous prices for everyday guns.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Flippin and floppin about going to this one or not. Gonna keep an eye out on the proxybid to see if it's worth the drive. Lot's of nice Wesson's in it though.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've never seen any bargains at gun auctions and that was before all the panic and madness. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think it would be a waste of time for anyone wanting to buy something at a reasonable price.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    There is a big gun auction at Sohn & Associates this Saturday. Pretty good selection with some potential for deals based on previous sales.

http://sohnandassociates.com/upcomi...&group=0&state=&kwd=&zip=&category=0&nojava=0

If anyone is planning on going, maybe meet for breakfast at Denny's beforehand?

ETA I believe it is Baconalia at Denny's now...

dammit snorko....quit telling people about things like this...how the hell am i going to get any good deals if everybody and their brother shows up!:):

plus people need to save their money, the sothern indiana friends of the nra is having a auction soon, with a rather large collection of, handguns, long guns, and gold and silver coins

it will happen at the spring gunapaloza (tickets are available now, they wont last long)

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    All that said - there's NO such thing as a bad Saturday hanging out with cool people , mowing on bacon, and mulling over guns.... even if ya don't buy a thing.

There are TONS of worse ways to spend a Saturday morning.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I've never seen any bargains at gun auctions and that was before all the panic and madness. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think it would be a waste of time for anyone wanting to buy something at a reasonable price.

I have to agree, even the local estate auction, when a few guns are listed, seem to bring buyers out of the woodwork.

The sad part is that most bidders apparently have never priced firearms in a Gun Shop, as the prices usually go higher than a new replacement for a used (non- special) firearm. Only reasonable prices I have have seen is where an estate sale occurs and one or two firearms are sold. :dunno:

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I've been looking for a "beater" .22 short revolver, looks like they have several in that category. Unfortunately the inexpensive guns normally go way overpriced, if there is any deals to be had they are on the high dollar items.

There was an auction at Frejie this past weekend, couple buddies went to. The prices seem to be coming back close to normal, on guns at least. I don't think there's much to be had in the way of deals at auctions for the most part anyway. Two browning citioris sold, one for $800, the other for $750. I'm no expert on them but seems like a decent deal to me.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have gotten downright steals at auctions and, at the same sale, gasped in wonder. No, I would not drive a couple hours to attend. But since it's just up the road, better than cleaning gutters. Two auctions ago I got a Norinco Paratrooper SKS for $260ish, a S&W Model 18 for under $450 and an excellent CMP H&R M1 Garand for $750 ish.

And the local Friends-NRA will be hawking raffle tickets there, and they have really good chicken salad sammiches.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    176 Guns, several tables of accessories......and Snorko is right, a killer chicken salad sammich.

Several grade 1 Browning .22 auto rifles, a Superposed or two, S&W -2 K and N frame revolvers, couple of AK's, an AR, a DSA RPD semi, and a bunch of other cool toys.

Yes, I supervise the paperwork and get paid doing it. No commission, just transfers and pre-sale appraisals.

BK6

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    It's hard to get a great deal at an auction, but I've gotten a lot of okay deals. It beats playing blackjack. There's the thrill of the win and then the buyer's remorse. It has to be good for the emotional part of your system. However, with recent auction prices, I have to admit no winning thrill or buyer's remorse.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    A couple auctions ago I saw the first M1 out of 3 or 4 go pretty cheap. Maybe that's the same one Snorko went to. I also got a good deal on a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 and did okay on a Savage 12 VBSS. I sold both and made a little money. The main reason I went was that I have seen pistols and long arms bidding stop at what I consider low prices.

A couple years ago I grabbed a LNIB G21 with the ambi mag release for $450. It still had the copper colored grease in the slide. Bidding had stopped at $425. New ones were going for $500+.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Everytime that I have been to this auction, it seems like the same people come and spend ridiculous amounts on guns that are nowhere near worth what they pay

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Is this the NRA sponsored Gunapolooza (or something like that)?

No, the Friends of NRA Gunapalooza is May 11th at the Westside Sportsmens Club.
    I just looked at what everything sold for and I didn't see any steals. RG's & Rohm went for way to much.

Yeah, no joy this go around. One or two decent S&W revolver prices but otherwise no bargains. NIB common guns sold for at or above retail, which usually happens.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The crappy guns went cheap, or so I thought. Went there to try to bid on one of two S&W Model 22A's but they went over retail, $400 and $375 respectfully. Then I thought, OK, I'll see about the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in 44 spl. Blue book is $240, but noooo it went for $420!! I finally jumped in at the last minute on the Glock 30, Got it for $550. I'm happy. Been wanting one for awhile now, but they all seem to be in the $600 range or higher. And that's if you can find one. Overall a good morning spent.

mbafta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Warrick Co.
    I just looked at what everything sold for and I didn't see any steals. RG's & Rohm went for way to much.

Is there a place online to see the "results" of this auction? We decided at the last minute to tour the LGS's instead of attending. Curious to see if I missed any deals.

Top Bottom