• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    T_Frost - I'm starting to understand your earlier attitude on being nice with the local PD. Maybe you should move somewhere where the local PD is cooler. :D

:laugh: Repped, and :buried hatchet: (we need a smiley for that)

Here is my letter:

I would like a clarification on one of your "safety tips" in the "away from home" catagory. It states that it is NOT recommended to carry a gun, knife, club, chemical spray, or other weapon becasue they may be illegal and can be used against me. Then what DO you recommend I do with robberies, home break ins, and meth users running rampant in our city? Why do your officers carry all of the above during their daily duties every single day they are on duty and almost all of them carry at least a handgun when they are off duty?
    How does this recommendation make any sense when right above it, it recommends I take a self defense course but doesn't want me to defend myself using the best ways possible to ensure my protection. Indiana has a tradition of being self reliant and we have state laws that enable us to protect ourselves using deadly force if necessary when we face a threat that could kill or severely injure us. We now have state preemption of firearm laws that restricts municipalities and their political subdivisions from making, enforcing or by nature of action any policy, law, or ordinance that supercedes state law.
    I would think a correction to these "safety tips" is in order and I await a response.
    Sincerely,
    Ben

I wonder if I will get a response?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    T_Frost - I'm starting to understand your earlier attitude on being nice with the local PD. Maybe you should move somewhere where the local PD is cooler. :D

Agreed- and we've discussed this.

Personally, I think TF should run for Vanderburgh County Sheriff. This would solve SOOOO many issues:D

As to the EPD post, I know exactly one EPD officer and I don't think he would agree with the department's stance.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Agreed- and we've discussed this.

Personally, I think TF should run for Vanderburgh County Sheriff. This would solve SOOOO many issues:D

As to the EPD post, I know exactly one EPD officer and I don't think he would agree with the department's stance.

Exactly. I know several (imagine that) and they all want every citizen to be able to protect themselves and have a gun to do it with.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The Sheriff's Dept. only seems to indicate a preference for citizens to OC :rockwoot:

http://www.vanderburghsheriff.com/Information/Terrorism.htm

TERRORISM
    Terrorism is a real threat. But the chance that you will be a victim of a terrorist attack is small. It is important to be cautious, but to not let fear rule your life. Let common sense guide you, not fear.
    What is Terrorism...
    Terrorist try to force or intimidate a government or civilian population into making changes. They try to reach political or social goals through violence and disruption of society.

What you can you do....
    • Be sensitive to your surroundings. Calmly take in what is happening, who is there and anything that seems out of place.
    • Know and follow all security procedures.
    • Recognize potential targets such as:

• Symbols-Government buildings, financial districts, monuments, tourist attractions
      • Utilities-Electricity plants, water and sewage treatment plants
      • Transportation Systems-airports, bus terminals, bridges
      • Public Safety Areas- hospitals, police stations, fire stations, military bases
      • Communication Systems and Special Events Venues
    • Be aware of strange behavior, but do not take matters into your own hands. Alert the sheriff or police immediately if a person
    • Seems to be hiding something such as a package or a weapon.
    • Tries to enter a facility or use a vehicle without the required credentials.
    • Seeks access to restricted areas like water treatment plants, food processing plants, chemicals or other hazardous material storage.
    • Hangs around a facility or drives past it again and again.
    • Leaves a possession such as a briefcase, suitcase or package in a place that may be a target.
    • balance vigilance with respect for other's rights.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    To be fair EPD has a new chief, probably doesn't even know about this article on the website. As TF posted the contact info, concerned citizens should use that to let him know. Let's give him a bit of time to get acclimated to his new post (I believe he only took office on the 1st).

On side note, shots fired from a silver durango in the 1200 block of S. Grand (west side of 41)

http://www.facebook.com/EvvWatch/posts/322395654458003

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know most of the cops in my town on a first name basis, I've been in this town a long time, and I know that most of these guys are decent, normal human beings, I went to school with some, played softball with some, one was even my father in law for a while, and, like I said, most are decent, normal human beings. No one, NO ONE, though, is ever going to convince me that there is not a concerted effort going on to keep people as defenseless as possible. I really wonder why?

EPD sounds like a very irresponsible PD. I just can't wrap my head around the line of thinking that seems to be so prevalent anymore.:dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Seems to me that the EPD could benefit from an NRA "Refuse to be a Victim" course.

Available by the way at Applied Ballistics Systems Inc. in Lafayette, if they can't find one closer! :rolleyes:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Exactly. I know several (imagine that) and they all want every citizen to be able to protect themselves and have a gun to do it with.

This could just be speculation, but I think there is a simple explanation for this...

All of the LEO you "know" don't have delusions of grandeur and don't think they are too good to have a casual conversation with you. Those same LEO are level-headed and realize that they can't be everywhere always and that non-LEO need a means to protect themselves as well.

Any LEO I've conversed with have this same attitude...Key word, "conversed."

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The best part is that when you search their site for "weapon" that part that pops up says: "...carry a gun, knife, club or chemical spray or other weapon."

I thought WOW some good advice! I should show that to INGO since there are so many of us that have issues with law enforcement agencies... So I clicked on the link and searched for a while before I read it, and re-read it. And re-searched and re-read it again. Nope. It really does say that.
    Are you........monitoring the EPD now?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Are you........monitoring the EPD now?

ohoq9.jpg

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Frosty, let me know when you're going to "interact" with the EPD again. I've never seen anybody clubbed, sprayed, given a wedgie and stuffed into the back of a car with a K9 for good measure :)

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Too Bad... a good share of what is said there makes good sense and probably gives the Sheeple some good suggestions as to "situational awareness".

Then... they have to show total stupidity in tagging that last "suggestion" on the end, apparently to look more P.C. Who is the Mayor of Evansville... Michael Bloomburg?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just sent them an e mail, on the contact, and I told them that after serving in the Military, for 26 Yr 1 mo and 14 days, and being a DAV, and 55 years old, I could make up my own mind if I needed to carry a gun, for self protection.... and I do !!!!!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I'd like to see them produce just one example of an armed citizen using it in a felonious manner, getting it taken away from him or doing anything unlawful with it. If that happened on a regular basis they would have a point (but still would have no right to push for us not to carry.)

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    EPD reasons why NOT to carry a gun:

1. It could be taken from you by a 5 year old girl

2. It scares the Zoo going public

3. It scares the Zoo Management

4. It scares EPD

5. And so on and so forth

Outstanding.