• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I stumbled upon this today at a gun shop in Beverly Hills, FL.

Someone school me on these Enfield rifles.

wiwuv4.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I had an original, but had to sell it, many years ago. It had the rubber recoil pad. The one there doesn't look original to me, but I'm no expert. Is the caliber .303 British?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive never owned one personally, but have shot one that was chambered in 308. It was actually a pretty decent shooter. It was a ton of fun to shoot.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

11B20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    I agree with the edporch that is not an authentic MK5 Jungle Carbine. That looks like a 2A cut down by a company called Gibbs rifle. It has the sights forward like the 2A. Gibbs rifle called them Mk7 jungle carbine and they are in 308. I own both an original and the Gibbs Rifle one. DSCF1454.jpg
    Here is a phot of my Enfield family. The Gibbs rifle is on the bottom.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree that it's not an original, but should still be a fun shooter.

I picked up an original a little over a year ago.

It should have this marking on the side:

And the rear sight should look like this:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have an original, likely from the Malaysian Emergency as it looks like it spent time in the jungle.

An original will have lightening cuts on the receiver.

The relief cut just under the rear sight.

The relief cuts on the barrel.

Receiver markings.

RUST!!!!

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Thanks to all of you I am getting a refund on this from the gun shop owner tomorrow. It is definitely a cut down version with the wrong stock, sights in the middle of the stock and not at the rear of the receiver, missing lightening cuts on the receiver as seen on the authentic carbine aboe, no hollowed out bolt, wrong serial #, etc.

It does appear to be chambered in 303 british not 308. I have not shot it and probably will not. I am kind of peeved at myself for jumping on this and peeved at the misrepresentation as well.

I will share the rest of the story later. Thanks for helping me figure out the error--hopefully it boils down to incompetency of the gun shop and not dishonesty. We will see tomorrow

Last edited:

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    to be clear the 18.8 inch barrel is the number 5? The jungle carbine denotes the shorter version no 5, right?

The Rifle No5 mk1 is the jungle carbine, there wasn't a longer Mk5 and it was derived from the Rifle No4 mk1 SMLE, here is better post; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Carbine . I would suggest to weigh the rifle and look for it to bet 7 pounds.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Does the term jungle carbine only refer to the no 5? It doesnt matter. I swapped it out for a sig p238 today.
    The Rifle No5 mk1 is the jungle carbine, there wasn't a longer Mk5 and it was derived from the Rifle No4 mk1 SMLE, here is better post; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Carbine . I would suggest to weigh the rifle and look for it to bet 7 pounds.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've always thought those Jungle Carbines were a really neat looking variant of the SMLE.

A buddy'd dad used to have a variant that was converted into a .410 bore. Those are/were cool guns.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    the shop owner was referring to all enfields as jungle carbines. He was saying it was authentic. Well, as I understand, it was an authentic enfield but not a jungle carbine. He was trying to "school me" on it and then asked what I did. He then proceeded to tell me he was an expert at my profession too. Thats when I said I would take him up on his offer for a refund if I wasnt happy. He just took the fun out of it. His employees were shaking his head at him and how he was talking. I got the impression that this was how he handled things all the time. There's more to the story that I will leave out. I take responsibility for buying something that wasn't researched but others have responsibilities too.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    the shop owner was referring to all enfields as jungle carbines. He was saying it was authentic. Well, as I understand, it was an authentic enfield but not a jungle carbine. He was trying to "school me" on it and then asked what I did. He then proceeded to tell me he was an expert at my profession too. Thats when I said I would take him up on his offer for a refund if I wasnt happy. He just took the fun out of it. His employees were shaking his head at him and how he was talking. I got the impression that this was how he handled things all the time. There's more to the story that I will leave out. I take responsibility for buying something that wasn't researched but others have responsibilities too.

Agreed. While it's really hard to be an expert in every gun variant, gun shops (or really anyone selling a firearm) have a responsibility to accurately represent what they are selling. If you aren't sure whether something you are selling is authentic, then you should say so (something more British militaria sellers should really do, especially those dealing in bring backs from Afghanistan where I'm sure 90% are actually newer Khyber pass manufactured guns).

Top Bottom