• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Last week a friend of mine pulled a 14-month old out of a pool - she died. Yesterday divers found an 11-year old girl's body - she went missing two days ago in the Red River. I know it's never easy - I have absolutely no idea how you guys are able to do this job everyday knowing there's a good chance you'll come across something like that, but thank you for doing it.

I'll rep any EMT who posts in here (have to let me know you're an EMT though) until I'm out for the day.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am an emt/firefighter going on a decade now..... THANKS for the rep. and we do see stuff like that more often than i would like, but its the crew you work with that makes dealing with that stuff easier.

25mux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    Firefighter/medic for 6 years. You just have to hope that the calls that turn out well outnumber the ones that don't. As long as you do everything you can, you will sleep at night. You also have to realize that you can't save them all.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You also have to realize that you can't save them all.

Exactly. Sometimes the condition has so much negative inertia that there's nothing that can be done. If you can come to grips that some people are plain going to die no matter what you do, then you can last a long time.

In residency we bought a PS2 for the firehouse we rode with. Great group of guys.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Not an EMT but I can't tell you how many times I (or officers) perform CPR or get sent to very nasty wrecks. Last winter I made a four fatality wreck. I can still smell the fluids on the road. EMTs are a special breed and I have a lot of respect for them. They don't get enough credit. "RMABRY" is one (ingo member) and is great at his job. Give him a rep when you can. He is also just a decent person to be around.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :+1: Much thanks to all the EMTs out there. I too don't know how you can handle it day after day. Not too long ago I witnessed and was first on scene of a horrible accident that took the life of a 3 year old boy. To this day I can close my eyes and still see him and so many of the details of the wreckage. Thank you for all that you do out there! :ingo:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Big +1 to all the people who devote their lives to helping save the lives of others. EMT's, armed forces, Leo's, fire fighters, ect. My hat is off to each and every one of you. I could not do your jobs.

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    Firefighter/medic for 6 years. You just have to hope that the calls that turn out well outnumber the ones that don't. As long as you do everything you can, you will sleep at night. You also have to realize that you can't save them all.

I am an emt/firefighter going on a decade now..... THANKS for the rep. and we do see stuff like that more often than i would like, but its the crew you work with that makes dealing with that stuff easier.

I've been a Volunteer Firefighter for close to a decade and EMT For about half that long. The posts I quoted are full of truth. Death in and of itself doesnt bother me. However anything involving children still and probably always will get to me. You just have to work thru it. I've told a few people that were trying to convince me how bad they had it to ride a few shifts on a busy rescue sqaud or ambulance then come back and tell me how bad their life is. Seeing people on the worst day of their life gives you new appreciation for your own. Also the senseless waste of lives that LEO and EMS/FIRE see on a daily basis can really make you appreciate your own and motivate you to live to the best of your ability.

Top Bottom