• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    He's a campus police officer. Just as in Indiana, he's a certified peace officer with police powers, but instead of being employed by the city, he's employed by the university (that is, the state) There's no dual employment in this case. I agree with you, though, if he was a city cop and moonlighting/doing security work for the university but not AS a cop, he should have to choose one or the other. (Case in point: A couple of the EMTs and medics I supervised at my last station were also cops/coroners/similar. If they're on the medical call, they can't act as a coroner. If they discover info as a medic, they can't arrest or otherwise use the info they found, as a cop. They can, however, as a cop, do medical stuff, to a point, as long as the medical director allows it.)

There is a dual authority though. In this case the "police officer" had not reason to arrest the man so he issued him some kind of disciplinary report from the school. Do cops who moonlight at High schools make it standard procedure to carry detention slips?

In the case that I am talking about in Vincennes,VUPD would never bother with a search warrant for a dorm. They would simply ask permission to enter and if refused they would say that are a school employee and are allowed to enter at any time as such. This was my experience as a resident assistant and while I never saw them abuse this I still question the legality of using the badge and uniform to uphold a school/private company/churches "house rules"

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    65218626.jpg

though the :tinfoil: part of me wonders if the officers arent being used as a scapegoat to take heat off the administration. So rather than the college catching heat, the cop becomes the fall guy simply for following orders.
    That would be an awfully loyal cop to lose five days of pay for the administration.

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    Looks like the officer had to apologize and was suspended for 5 days no pay. Wow, sounds like someone from the legislature contacted the school about this.

Top Bottom