• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any EMP strong enough to fry electronics not connected to a significant antenna or to an external power source will come from a source strong enough that you be around to won't care if they are fried.

People worry about the silliest things.

Indeed.

I think the interwebz and some tv shows like "Doomsday Preppers" have put a lot of misinformation in between too many people and better information. It's not hard to learn more about EMPs, but it's easier to watch tv and accept what knuckleheads are spouting.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Any EMP strong enough to fry electronics not connected to a significant antenna or to an external power source will come from a source strong enough that you be around to won't care if they are fried.

People worry about the silliest things.

New product I'm marketing........ We got ya covered.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    EMPs do NOT have to be close.
    EMPs are mostly (not all) caused by detonations in the upper atmosphere.
    Far enough away not to fry you.
    The electrical grid is the weak point. Because it picks up the surge of electrons and transmits them, causing damage outside the area of the surge of electrons that have been stripped from their atoms.
    Semi-Conductors will be affected in the area of the electron surge, even if they are not connected. If they are connected to wire, they will have an increased chance of being affected.

EMP
    Here is some research on the subject.

On the tactical battlefield we will probably not see the high
    altitude nuclear blast. This will be used by the Soviet Union as the
    first step in the escalation from tactical nuclear weapons to a stra-
    tegic nuclear war. The effects of this, while being able to knock out
    some of our communication satellites and thus disrupting communications
    from the battlefield back to the President or Joint Chiefs of Staff,
    sould have none of the tactical effect or influence in that it would
    knock out all the communications in the United States and would cause
    massive failures in systems not hardened against EMP. The system of
    greatest interest for the Soviet Union would be the Command and Control
    Network which would disrupt communications and launch commands to our
    strategic nuclear missiles. It also could disrupt the computer systems
    that control these nuclear missiles. Other effects would be to disrupt
    the life of the average American citizen by causing massive black outs,
    disrupting all radio and television communications and the Civil De-
    fense network.

This discusses A LOT more info.
    Surface blast
    Low level blast
    High altitude blast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The electrical grid is the weak point. Because it picks up the surge of electrons and transmits them, causing damage outside the area of the surge of electrons that have been stripped from their atoms.
    Semi-Conductors will be affected in the area of the electron surge, even if they are not connected. If they are connected to wire, they will have an increased chance of being affected.

EMP

Surface blast
    Low level blast
    High altitude blast.

What this describes is a disruption of the grid which is what I understand will be the target and most easily effected.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

EMP

Surface blast
    Low level blast
    High altitude blast.[/QUOTE

Apology's for the double post. It seems to be the norm lately.........:dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What this describes is a disruption of the grid which is what I understand will be the target and most easily effected.

The grid, and the atmo will be disturbed.
    Closer up, more hardware will be disturbed.
    EMPs were first noticed when they started damaging satellites and if I remember, effects were noticed as far as 600 miles away.
    Once again, it depends on height, tonnage, and the type of nuke (some are more effective than others), the hardware in question, how the hardware is packaged/surrounded/connected.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    EMP

There is some very dated research on the subject. Done at a time when the concern was not a terrorist state detonating a localized blast, but a multi megaton high altitude blast, the kind only two other hostile nations could deliver. In the former the EMP effects are very short range and any blast that would fry your wris****ch will also fry you. Consumer electronics in general have been made a lot tougher over the last thirty years, not because everyone was scared of EMP, but because being resistant to stray static charges is a plus. The biggest threat from an EMP remains the grid, things connected to the grid, and anything with a longwave antenna.

Regardless of all that though, the reason I consider worrying about it as silly is because of what I used to regularly post: the average INGOer is more likely to suffer from some form of personal SHTF than an EMP. If people put even half the effort into preparing for common and likely emergencies as they do discussing the proper construction of a Faraday cage, something for which virtually no one here has the means to test for effectiveness, BTW, then they would be ahead in life.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is some very dated research on the subject. Done at a time when the concern was not a terrorist state detonating a localized blast, but a multi megaton high altitude blast, the kind only two other hostile nations could deliver. In the former the EMP effects are very short range and any blast that would fry your wris****ch will also fry you. Consumer electronics in general have been made a lot tougher over the last thirty years, not because everyone was scared of EMP, but because being resistant to stray static charges is a plus. The biggest threat from an EMP remains the grid, things connected to the grid, and anything with a longwave antenna.

Regardless of all that though, the reason I consider worrying about it as silly is because of what I used to regularly post: the average INGOer is more likely to suffer from some form of personal SHTF than an EMP. If people put even half the effort into preparing for common and likely emergencies as they do discussing the proper construction of a Faraday cage, something for which virtually no one here has the means to test for effectiveness, BTW, then they would be ahead in life.

Apparently you can say "wrist w a tch" on ingo!

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    So, should I get the dual lock (both electronic keypad and mechanical dial) on the next safe purchase?

Top Bottom