• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This may be of interest to those of you who are looking for something compact to keep in your vehicles or emergency supplies for short term nutrition. I recently sampled the three brands available at Emergency Essentials and did a brief summary of my results.

-----------

REVIEW OF “EMERGENCY RATION BARS”
    01 July 2008

Candidates: Mainstay
    Datrex
    SOS

All provide the same calories (1200 kcal per day) and similar nutrition. All are packaged for long term storage (five years from date of manufacture) in durable outer wrappers and are suitable for any situation where compact emergency food source is needed. All are priced the same at most vendors.

Mainstay:

The Mainstay rations are very sweet (too sweet) with a hint of lemon. Servings are not individually wrapped, but they hold together fairly well. The product is very thick (after unwrapping), and not that easy to eat. As advertised, it did not “provoke thirst.” The overall package is noticeably bulkier than the other two brands.

Datrex:

Individually wrapped in 200 kcal servings, the first thing you notice about the Datrex rations that they are very dry (and crumbly), and not very sweet at all. The flavor is minimal, with just a little taste of coconut. The urge to drink water was immediate because of the dryness and texture.

SOS:

The SOS rations are individually wrapped in 400 kcal servings. They are moister than both of the competitor and far less crumbly. They are sweet (not nearly as much as Mainstay), and initially taste like shortbread, then coconut. There also seems to be a bit of lemon or other citrus “tang” added. The SOS did not provoke the same urge to drink as did the Datrex.

Conclusions:

If you are selecting a short-term, compact survival ration, the best choice among the three sampled is SOS by far. The taste is far superior the distant second (Mainstay), and the texture makes them a lot easier to handle. I would not eat the Datrex again unless it really was an emergency and it was all that was available. The same is true for the Mainstay, although it was slightly more palatable than the Datrex; it was just way too sweet. I could eat the SOS brand at any time and not suffer (although it has too much sugar and simple carbohydrates for me outside of emergencies). If storage space is an issue, then the SOS is more compact than Mainstay (and similar to Datrex), so SOS is again the choice.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've never tried any of those, but I might have to now. It seems like all of the energy bars I've seen are some form of chocolate covered crap. I'd like to find something a little less like candy and a little more like actual food (like a cookie or pressed-fruit bar, for example). Sounds like these just might fit the bill.

Do you have any left? Is there any way you can break them open and post some pics showing texture and content?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Emergency Essential web site should have pics better than I could do. I know I saw some in the catalog I got in today's mail.

Here is the SOS:
    FM-R200.jpg

Here is the Datrex:

FM-R400.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was hoping for something a little more real-looking. :) The SOS looks like bags of liquid soup base, and the Datrex looks like suet cakes. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Those are a lot better than I could do with my telephone! Plus, I have no way to get pictures out of my phone since I don't have a service that will allow me to send them and I don't have any bluetooth on my ancient computer. :D

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    This is something I am looking at for provisioning a get home bag. Hard to find foods that will survive for any length of time in the trunk of a car in Indiana summer. This looks good. Thanks for the review!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Scutter, ask Shay what the bars his wife found him were.

He said they were all nuts, and fruit, and such compressed into a bar with virtually no "glue" holding them together. They looked Messy as @#$#@ when he was snacking on them at Deer Creek range a couple months ago, but sounded tasty.

Also, I've found I rather enjoy Cliff Bars. The Cherry Almond bars aren't half bad, although they are a bit like the half melted Chocolate bar mixed with grain.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is something I am looking at for provisioning a get home bag. Hard to find foods that will survive for any length of time in the trunk of a car in Indiana summer. This looks good. Thanks for the review!

Yeah, that's a huge advantage of these things. You can put them in the trunk and forget about them (at least for a few years) and not worry about them melting. Most of the 'energy' bars aren't pretty after a few hours in a hot vehicle.

They're also a lot cheaper. For 3600 calories, they cost $6.95.

The energy bars are for immediate (or close to it) use when you just need a snack to keep you going. The emergency ration bars serve a different role. In addition, a lot of the energy bars have a lot more protein. That's great for daily nutrition, but in an emergency, the more protein you ingest, the more water you need both to digest as well as to excrete the waste.

Warwagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm glad you posted the review, Thank you! I've been looking at them in the emergency essentials catalog for quite some time now.

They'd be great to add to the get home bags I keep in the cars.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Good info, thanks for the review. I have been looking at these type of provisions myself as I start on my first ever bob.

I'm also planning a single day type bag to go with the bob, what are some good options for bars that may get eaten on a hike and the like. Not as worried about long term storage on them, thinking that they might get eaten more often by me or my little girl hiking trails and such. Anything that holds up well, and still tastes ok? I suppose I could just use any bar, but I want something that will not be a mess and will store for a little while at least.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm also planning a single day type bag to go with the bob, what are some good options for bars that may get eaten on a hike and the like. Not as worried about long term storage on them, thinking that they might get eaten more often by me or my little girl hiking trails and such. Anything that holds up well, and still tastes ok? I suppose I could just use any bar, but I want something that will not be a mess and will store for a little while at least.

I'd go with any kind of granola or "energy" bar that you and your girl like. If you're concerned about mess, get something that is not coated with chocolate or some other kind of icing. The quaker oatmeal breakfast bars would be a good choice too.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I was thinking about granola as my best bet, and I like the Quaker oatmeal bars and never even thought about them! Not overly worried about mess, but I do not like chocolate very much at all so I try to avoid bars with that, plus a goo bar is no fun in the summer.

Thanks Rhino

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're welcome!

You can also do other kind of trail snacks in small zip-top freezer bags. The classic is "GORP" ... Good ol' Raisins and Peanuts. Any kind of nuts are good trails food, and adding raisins makes them better. I've used cashews and raisins in a bag at shooting matches when I knew I wouldn't get a chance to eat lunch with excellent results.

If your kid like chocolate, you can add some M&Ms to hers, and it would help minimize melting concerns.

Nuts are also excellent cold weather snacks when you're outside, especially if you are skinny with little body fat. You need some fat in your diet to maintain body temperature, which is why military rations for cold weather environments always have a pack of nuts in them.

Top Bottom