• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I had an opportunity to try on a set of Peltor 6S electronic muffs the other day and was impressed. That was the first time I have ever used electronic hearing protection, so before I go out an buy a set, I would like to get general opinions on them.

Do you like them (electronic muffs)? Are there any downsides to them when compared to basic muffs? Are there any features or options that are considered a "must have"? The Peltor 6S is pretty inexpensive compared to others..what are you getting when you buy the more expensive models/brands? Is there that much of a difference in longevity or hearing protection given the disparity in cost? Thanks for the input.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I've got a $25 set of Gander Mountian electronic "ears". I've been very happy with them. I don't have anything else to compare them to other than passive muffs and plugs. So take it for what its worth.

lpenni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Mine are older Howard Leight Impact. Stereo pick ups and auto shut off are a must. A phone and accessory jack is nice. I have tried others and I like these best.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I purchased these back when they were $17.99 on sale at Midway. Not as many bells and whistles as some other models, but couldn't beat the price. I've always used standard over the ear hearing protection with no electronics previously, so not much to compare them to.

Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 23dB) Green - MidwayUSA

I've only used them a couple of times now, but they seemed to work well.

I'm not sure about longevity/durability at this point, but they seem to work well. I was able to hear with them on when not shooting and they seemed to muffle the sound appropriately during shooting.

kingstrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    What kind of decibel level are those kind of things generally rated for? I've never tried a set, would like to see if I liked them before buying..

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I bought a pair for $15 from Harbor Freight just to see if they worked. They aren't as nice as a brand name pair that I tried years ago, but they do the trick. If I shot all the time, I'd definitely get a nicer pair though.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I bought a pair for $15 from Harbor Freight just to see if they worked. They aren't as nice as a brand name pair that I tried years ago, but they do the trick. If I shot all the time, I'd definitely get a nicer pair though.

I have a pair from Harbor Freight as well. They work just fine. Everything electronic will fail eventually, so why spend more than necessary? Use the 20% off coupon and the price drops to $12 + tax.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I've read where some (maybe all of them are this way) amplify sounds, but limit louder noises such as gunfire to a certain decibel level. Has anyone experienced a failure of the decibel limitation and the muffs actually amplified the gunfire noise? Is that a legitimate concern?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've read where some (maybe all of them are this way) amplify sounds, but limit louder noises such as gunfire to a certain decibel level.

Correct. That is the purpose of electronic muffs.

Has anyone experienced a failure of the decibel limitation and the muffs actually amplified the gunfire noise?

I've never experienced that, or heard of it happening (doesn't mean its impossible).

Is that a legitimate concern?

I won't pretend to know how the electronics inside the muffs work, but I don't think it would be enough concern to not purchase them. Worst case scenario would be they fail, hurt your ears for that first shot, and you repair/replace them.

More likely would be the electronics/battery failing completely, in which case they temporarily function like standard muffs.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    IMHO the electronic muffs offer serveral advantages over a standard style, and are almost a must for for a class or compititon where range comands need to be heard while others are shooting.
    Plus you can always leave them by the bed and use them to investigate a late night disturbance where you would need to hear an intruder, but if shot were fired need the hearing protection.

I have been using the Radians ProAmps for about five years... but last season broke the head band. I am looking for a new pair and want to try some thing else...
    I don't mind spending extra money on something more expensive if there are real advantages to be had. But there seem to be plenty of options under $100.

Top Bottom