• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Here is what you can do with Duracoat. Had to remove the rust with a wire wheel on a bench grinder.
    picture.php
    picture.php

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Air brush and compressor

I use a Badger good quality air brush. To make the sheen look even you need to control the amount of Duracoat with the air brush and the air pressure with a compressor. I have done dozens of projects, this was just a good example of an extreme basket case and what you can do.

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Thanks for info. I picked up a small compressor and air brush last week. I'm waiting for the duracoat to show up. It will be my first.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Another example

Here is another. Don't have the before but it was left wet in the truck. It was nasty!
    Duracoat is not too expensive but you should follow their suggestions for application. You can get the color of your choice with hardener for around $16. Alos need ot get their surface degreaser, TrueStrip for $12 a pint. You must prep the surface and I always degrease TWICE. I have never had an adhesion problem on any of my projects.

I have done dozens of projects and have had great results.

picture.php

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Sandpaper on the 870 - 320 grit

I am doing an 1100 now that someone left camo tape on.....for a couple of years! I have used 320 grit oxide (wet/dry) sandpaper and the surface is now cleaned up and ready to spray after degreasing. The fine sandpaper will remove alot of the blueing and the rust. Be sur to use a wood block to back up your sandpaper on flat surfaces.

You can use Duracoat over blueing without sanding but if it has rust you have to make sure the surface is clean.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    What would you recommend to use in removing light rust spots on an 870 receiver? I plan on duracoating but want to make sure nothing exists on it before I do the deed.

If you plan to keep the bluing on for a while, 0000 steel wool. I cleaned up an AK nicely with this. The 0000 is powerful enough to slowly remove rust, while leaving the bluing intact.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Cure for the Remington Express rust

The matte black is a perfect cure for the rust problem on the Remington 870 express finishes. Once it is Duracoated it won't rust from water or be affected by blood (eats blueing).

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I use a Badger good quality air brush. To make the sheen look even you need to control the amount of Duracoat with the air brush and the air pressure with a compressor. I have done dozens of projects, this was just a good example of an extreme basket case and what you can do.

Just wondered if you thought it could be applied with an automotive spray gun?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    MarlinMan68

You would need alot of it mixed up to feed an automotive spray gun. You only need to mix about 2 tablespoons with hardener to do a shotgun barrel and receiver. The air brush is perfect for this small amount.

Top Bottom