• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjsnook

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Walton, IN
    Has anyone had any experience with using the duracoat aerosol spray cans? I was wondering if they are worth trying. What about the shake-n-spray kit? Does anyone know of any local shop that carries either one?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I gave a kit to Rookie a while back, he did a TC Encore with it. Came out fine.
    Ask him about what he learned in the process (think some minor issue with sprayer).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not wanting to wait forever before assembling, I use Brownells oven cure Gunkote.
    Done a couple of 1100 receivers, so far so good.
    But then I grill painted one and shot reg spray clear over it and it held up decent for 2 yrs before the strip and Gunkote.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It worked pretty well. The only issues I had was with the spray tip building up and occasionally spitting a blob.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I bought 3 cans and have had nothing but problems. The color flows away on edges.... it sprays so light it takes a lot of coats to get it then your at risk of runs.. and both cans I've used have plugged and when they do that they spit paint.... both times I've used it had to sand down and refinish... the bake stuff they make is really good but If you want spray use gunkote from brownells that stuff is actually pretty good

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Sounds like the spray nozzle sucks like the alumahyde does. I kept spraying brake cleaner though my nozzles to clear clogging but I also suspended my alumahyde parts in an oven set low and it cured completely in a hour.

Always wanted to try duracoat but cerakote seems to be the way to go. And shipping on basically all that sucks because of the hazmat fees. They nail you on rust blue also.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've had good luck with the bottles of Duracoat through an airbrush. I have an old toaster oven I use to cure the parts in, so I can assemble the gun within a couple of hours of spraying them. I've never tried the rattle can version. I tried the Wheeler stuff in an aerosol and was not impressed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought 3 cans and have had nothing but problems. The color flows away on edges.... it sprays so light it takes a lot of coats to get it then your at risk of runs.. and both cans I've used have plugged and when they do that they spit paint.... both times I've used it had to sand down and refinish... the bake stuff they make is really good but If you want spray use gunkote from brownells that stuff is actually pretty good

I have used the guncoat on things besides guns. It is really decent stuff.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I use the Duracoat spray cans ALL the time (I just used it tonight, and my parts are curing in my toaster oven). I have never had any problems with runs, or with nozzles clogging. I buy mine at knob creek, so I avoid the haz mat & shipping fees.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I didn't have trouble with the nozzle on my spray can clogging but did have trouble attempting an even coat without the paint running. The paint hasn't held up very well considering I haven't used the rifle very much since I painted it 3 or 4 years ago.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I didn't have trouble with the nozzle on my spray can clogging but did have trouble attempting an even coat without the paint running. The paint hasn't held up very well considering I haven't used the rifle very much since I painted it 3 or 4 years ago.

Honestly I've had better results with the cheap engine paint applies even, cures faster, and holds up better than the duracoat aerosol. They did change the formula early this year (has a longer shelf life now) but after 3 cans of the old stuff ...never again for me at the price I think it should work as described and it's fallen short everytime.... I will say if you want aerosol the brownells stuff works great and holds up pretty well I've been impressed

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    Honestly I've had better results with the cheap engine paint applies even, cures faster, and holds up better than the duracoat aerosol. They did change the formula early this year (has a longer shelf life now) but after 3 cans of the old stuff ...never again for me at the price I think it should work as described and it's fallen short everytime.... I will say if you want aerosol the brownells stuff works great and holds up pretty well I've been impressed

There were a few spots that got fixed with engine paint. Mostly because I didn't want to go through the curing process again.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I use the Duracoat spray cans ALL the time (I just used it tonight, and my parts are curing in my toaster oven). I have never had any problems with runs, or with nozzles clogging.

This is my experience also. Surface prep being the secret, I pre-warm the parts and even the spray cans. Being practiced with spray cans can't be emphasized strong enough.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I use the Duracoat spray cans ALL the time (I just used it tonight, and my parts are curing in my toaster oven). I have never had any problems with runs, or with nozzles clogging. I buy mine at knob creek, so I avoid the haz mat & shipping fees.

I saw all that stuff down there at Knob Creek. Had lots of projects running through my mind. Stencil kits looked neat.

Top Bottom