• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    A looong time ago but anyways, I took apart my Rock Island 1911 and showing my girlfriend (wife now) how easy it was to take apart and assemble.

Well I was having a little bit of trouble with the barrel bushing so I moved it to my lap and was looking down at the barrel(I know STUPID) anyone with an 1911 knows where this is going, and yeah it happened.... I thought I shot myself in the head!!!!!! perfect mark in the middle of my forehead from the spring plug.. ........... this was back when you could pick up a Rock Island for 319.00 out the door from the 1500.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    In homage to the "Dumbest things you have said" thread, I give you the:

Dumbest thing you have DONE with a gun, thread.

I will start. Today, I had to answer the call of nature. Hate public bathrooms, but I had no choice, know what I mean?

So I stand up, hike up my pants. just about as they get near my waist..

Well, let's just say the Bersa does NOT fire when dropped a couple feet onto tile :ugh:

I'm not sure what would be worse, it hitting the tile or going into the toilet. I worry about that sometimes.

My dumbest move was leaving a handgun at the range. That's the last time I'll move between lanes (rifle/pistol) without taking an inventory each time and at the end. By the time I realized it didn't make the trip home, the range was closed. I didn't sleep well that night. I had dreams of all the crimes that were being committed with my gun.

I called first thing the next morning and they told me someone had turned it in. Wow, I felt so stupid and so relieved at the same time. Never again.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    A looong time ago but anyways, I took apart my Rock Island 1911 and showing my girlfriend (wife now) how easy it was to take apart and assemble.

Well I was having a little bit of trouble with the barrel bushing so I moved it to my lap and was looking down at the barrel(I know STUPID) anyone with an 1911 knows where this is going, and yeah it happened.... I thought I shot myself in the head!!!!!! perfect mark in the middle of my forehead from the spring plug.. ........... this was back when you could pick up a Rock Island for 319.00 out the door from the 1500.

I love 1911 spring plug stories. I laugh every time I hear one. Here is mine.

My wife wanted to learn how to field strip and clean my gun. I told her how she would need to take the wrench and turn the bushing clockwise, but before I could get the part about being careful out she just cranked the think over. I guess I should have mentioned the safety part first. The plug bounced of a few walls and we couldn't find it. We later found it on top of the refrigerator between cereal boxes.

Also, not too long ago I tried to put the sear in backwards in a 1911. It took me a bit to figure out why reassembly wasn't going well.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Drop two rounds while reloading my mags at the airport! They rolled out of the stall so I had to go out and get them, one had rolled just under the front of the stall next to mine, I just said "pardon me" and picked them both up.

I was surprised not to see LEO waiting for me when I left the bathroom. Note to self, leave your mags loaded and in a case next time! (I usually do but need to pick up a couple of single stack mag carriers for the new pistol.)

Buckaroo

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

hahaha, good one.

Once, while having a competition to see who could dis/ass a SAW the fastest, I forget to send the bolt home. When I went to remove it, I got it straight in the chest. That stung a little.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I loaned a mint FN 49 to a friend so his father in law could shoot it. When it was finally returned the bore was frosted. They had shot corrosive ammo in it and left it in the trunk of the car. Never loan anything you care about.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I fired a shot while friends where still sleepin....lol They didnt even flinch. I totally wasnt thinking about them still being asleep. I was ready to start shooting.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    When I was in my early teens I would "reload" 12g shells for fun. "Reload" meant opening a live shell, removing the buckshot then adding whatever would fit....22 slugs, BB's, pellet's, etc. Anyway I loaded one put it in the single shot shotgun I had and well, the hole in the 100yr old plaster wall was harder to fix than I first thought. Why I shot it I have no idea :dunno:. Years later my dad found out. He only commented on how stupid I'd been. I'd say I was lucky!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    When I lived in Cincinnati, Ohio had several stupid laws about reciprocity AND how you could carry your pistol when operating a motor vehicle. I removed a pistol, loaded it and drove out of a parking garage. Law at the time dictated that all concealed weapons MUST be visible to police while driving so I put it in a holster on my lap. I stopped by White Castle on the way home from work and had to open my car door to get some dropped cash at the drive through window. Guess who leaned too far and had a pistol fall OUT of his loosely attached holster? Redfaced and dumb feeling!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    In homage to the "Dumbest things you have said" thread, I give you the:

Dumbest thing you have DONE with a gun, thread.

I will start. Today, I had to answer the call of nature. Hate public bathrooms, but I had no choice, know what I mean?

So I stand up, hike up my pants. just about as they get near my waist..

Well, let's just say the Bersa does NOT fire when dropped a couple feet onto tile :ugh:

Could have been worse - you could have found out if one fires when dropped in a toilet.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    A couple years ago, I was carrying my Kimber full size 1911 "mexican" style in the back of my pants. I was walking into the BP on the corner of 31 and County Line in greenwood. When I reached the door, the gun slid down my pants all the way to my shoe. Trying to get a full size 1911 out from your pant leg and back into your waistband in full view of traffic isn't the most pleasant experience.

Top Bottom