• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tater86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I have a dpms panther and also have had a bushmaster. Never had an issue with either. Just because they are lower end ar doesn't mean they are bad. It just means they are cheaper. Your $1500 ar is nicer I'm sure but is it worth 2 of mine? And let's face it. All you are doing with a .223 is shooting paper. And I feel like mine does that just fine. Go ahead and yell at me guys. Interested in hearing your response.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Some guys on here run the hell out of their AR's. That being said, my Dad has two Bushmasters and likes them. I want a Spike's Tactical though. :D

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Out of all the Ar's I ever owned, my XM15 Bushmaster has held up the best with minimal FTF/FTE's. Much better than my Daniel Defense, Colt, and Stag. The more I shoot my rifles, the more it makes me mad about the money I spent on them compared to the used $650 Bushy.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    OK, I don't have a dog in this fight as I own 0 ARs, but I find it interesting that DPMS and Bushmasters are considered "lower end." I never viewed either brand that way, but I guess some do. Miculek, though shooting an M&P15, uses a DPMS barrel on it, so I thought they were probably alright.

Looking forward to the carnage this thread will create:D

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a dpms panther and also have had a bushmaster. Never had an issue with either. Just because they are lower end ar doesn't mean they are bad. It just means they are cheaper. Your $1500 ar is nicer I'm sure but is it worth 2 of mine? And let's face it. All you are doing with a .223 is shooting paper. And I feel like mine does that just fine. Go ahead and yell at me guys. Interested in hearing your response.
    I personally, don't have a problem, I got a good deal, back in 2004, on a Colt Match, with a trade, and am VERY happy with it... My bro, has a "Bushy" as he calls it, and has had NO problems, afaIk....

tater86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    It seems on every ar thread people say to stay away from the dpms or bushmaster though. Never got it. Its like one person said they suck and everybody else follows the leader and bad mouths them to. If you spend that much on a gun (rra, spikes, ect) and you say mine sucks because of a $100 part. Where is the other $600 going to that makes yours better? Not trying to be argumentative just grinds my gears lol

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have a dpms thats about a year old. I have put ruffly 800+ rds through it and never had one ftf or fte. At 100 yrds I can shoot groups that can be covered with my thumb. I can break clay pigeons at 300 yrds. I only gave 600 brand new for the gun. I'm sure there are better shooting guns, but not in that price range.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I'd put my sub-500 dollar Del-Ton kit in the ring with the high end stuff and be confident it would hold it's own very nicely. I know there is a reason the more expensive stuff is more expensive (that whole 'you get what you pay for' thing I do believe in). But for playing at the range, that difference will never be known by me.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Owner of one DPMS M4gery and one Panther 20" with fixed stock. Never have had a FTE or FTF with either. Oh, and the M4gery was a build. All DPMS parts.

I'm a happy man.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would love to have a higher end AR. An for the most part you can tell somewhat the fit n finish is a little better with those rifles. But with that said, Im not walking out the door every morning into battle so I really cant justify a 1500 AR to just plink around with. So my DPMS fits the bill quite nicley, Ive had it for over a year now. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger, so Im more than happy with it.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I have the DPMS LR.308 and its a great gun. I have never really considered it lower end though..maybe middle of the road..a workhorse, not as fancy as some others

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    all companies put out lemons. some put out more than others. DPMS has a history of using out-of-spec parts such as mislabeling chambers. For most people, a DPMS will run just fine. But for professionals and those who attend classes, they are all seem to universally reject DPMS as a brand that tends to be unreliable. So why not buy a rifle built to a known standard (ie "mil-spec") with better QC (ie individual MPI not batch) than a DPMS?

With the prices of ARs dropping lower and lower, I see zero reason to even risk buying a DPMS.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    I have a frankenstein. I have a RRA Lower, a Colt M4 upper/Barrel, and an Olympic BCG (Which I re-staked). A family member and I shoot quite often and he has an Olympic. I have never seen his Oly have a FTF or FTE, and I have never had one either. Now, I dont know how they would run after 1000 rounds w/o cleaning, but when we shoot a few hundred they do fine.

tater86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Show me a Ford truck with 300,000 miles and ill show you a Chevy with 350,000 and same goes the other way. Realistically its all about how the guys mood was that day on the assembly line.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Show me a Ford truck with 300,000 miles and ill show you a Chevy with 350,000 and same goes the other way. Realistically its all about how the guys mood was that day on the assembly line.

I agree with the issue on the AR. I am sure both sides have valid points. I am sure DPMS and Bushmaster have had some problems, but so has everyone else.
    I personally have a DPMS Carbine I have ran 800-900 rounds thru in the last 90 days. Nver a problem at all. One of the most accurate ARs I have shot. My buddies have them all I don't think any of us have the same.

In the end it is a personal choice. But I do have to disagaree with the truck choice show me a chevy with 350,000 on it and I will show you a owner who has spent a fortune keeping it up. On the other hand my last power stroke had 750000 on it when I sold it and I never did anything but change filters and fluids and I worked with this truck everyday it was abused. The guy I sold it to is still driving it..

Top Bottom