• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Is this a good deal or should I stay away from this gun.

I have heard some bad things about it but others say have had no problems.

DPMS(2).jpg

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I've heard bad things about DPMS, but have had no bad personal experience with them (Which is due to lack if experience in generals). Now lack of a dust cover and forward assit is alittle troubling.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I've heard bad things about DPMS, but have had no bad personal experience with them (Which is due to lack if experience in generals). Now lack of a dust cover and forward assit is alittle troubling.

I didn't notice the lack of a forward assist and you are right I kinda wanted that feature.

I been lookint at a Stag Arms model 3 for $850. I know it is a better quality gun but the DPMS is almost $300 cheaper. Is the Stag Arms $300 better?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I didn't notice the lack of a forward assist and you are right I kinda wanted that feature.

I been lookint at a Stag Arms model 3 for $850. I know it is a better quality gun but the DPMS is almost $300 cheaper. Is the Stag Arms $300 better?

Stag is great from what I hear, If you don't mind me asking then what are you using it for?

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    My brother had a sportical in .308 and loved it. Traded it to cure his M1A craving. I too was a bit leery of it not having a dust cover or FA, but he had no issues with it.

ETA: no experience with Stag other than shooting one at a range once. Ran great.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is a good rifle for the money. I have never used a forward assist in 40 years of AR shooting. Not even once. I don't care about dust covers either.

DPMS sells mil-spec rifles. Some parts are far better than mil-spec. It is a quality gun from a quality manufacturer.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    It is a good rifle for the money. I have never used a forward assist in 40 years of AR shooting. Not even once. I don't care about dust covers either.

DPMS sells mil-spec rifles. Some parts are far better than mil-spec. It is a quality gun from a quality manufacturer.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever used the FA either...

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

DPMS does not sell mil-spec rifles. I've owned a DPMS and it was far from it.
    It is an OK rifle from an OK company.

2 companies have access to the TDP (now 3 to include Remington), and a few have reverse engineered rifles from those 2 companies to come close to mil-spec. DPMS isn't one of them.

Some DMPS parts may be better, but for the most part are not. For a weekend plinker the Sportical left as is should be fine.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just to clarify a point so that someone doesn't get the wrong impression.

Not all rifles are totally mil-spec and I wouldn't consider the Sportical to be one either.

Lets just say the price is a decent price for what it is.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My brother and dad just bought one each. So far they have been excellent rifles.
    If that's the case and they're happy with the purchase they made with their own money then that's all that should matter.

It's a good sale price for a decent rifle that should serve it's intended purpose well. :yesway:

Not many people need a full blown totally mil-spec battle rifle.

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Who is selling at that price? What are the shipping costs? DPMS has a good product line, not top-of-the-line, but not junk either.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    They are okay, I've got one, the only issue Ive had it the occassional gas ring breaking, DPMS kept sending me new ones under warranty, finally I ordered a set from midway, problem went away. You get what you pay for, as a plinker, this will work great, or even as a zombie killer

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've run a DPMS lower on one of my carbines for years without a problem. I had a DPMS in 308 that I put a few hundred rounds through and sold it to a friend who has put thousands of rounds through without a problem. I only sold it b/c I prefer my M1As. In 30 odd years of shooting ARs I might have used the FA maybe a couple times. I think the rifle listed will be fine for it's purpose and if you have a problem with it DPMS will fix it. Like mentioned above everybody doesn't need a full blown Mil Spec carbine with a couple grand worth of parts added to it. IMO YMMV. :twocents:

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    As far as the lack of forward assist and dust cover go, how many of your other guns have them? I own lots of guns and have never had an issue. I'm not crawling around in the mud or out in the desert so its not a necessity for me. My AR has them but I've never had to use the FA and 99 percent of the time the dust cover is open anyway. At that price I would buy two of them! :rockwoot:

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan

+1 I have 3 DPMS AR15's, Panther AP4, an Oracle and a Sportical. They are budget priced quality guns. Never had an issue. :yesway::yesway:

Top Bottom