• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    I recently inherited several double barrel shotguns from my dad and was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction in how to learn more about them. The one I am most curious about is a J.P. Sauer and Sohn 12ga. Seeing as I dont know much about DBs I dont even know where to start in regards to identifying the model or age. If anyone out there has a better understanding I would greatly appreciate some help. I am in possession of the gun so if there are marks on it or other identifying features, I can supply those if necessary.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Higher end German maker, the pre war shotguns have always been in demand from hunters who like the SXS for upland game birds. Their hammer guns generally bring largish dollars in good condition. I have some decent books and with some pics I should be able to narrow date of manufacture and model down for you.

OkieHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks. I will get some pictures hopefully this afternoon. I am assuming when you say hammer guns you mean the gun has hammers on either side of the chamber. Is so, this gun does not have that. I appreciate the help.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Sauers were good quality guns. There were lots of cheaply manufactures SxS's around the turn of the last century. Many were from Belguim and of questionalbe quality. Pictures would be of a great help in ID'ing these older guns. There were some great American Manufacturers, such as Ithaca, Remington, Parker and even Colt. I love old SxS's and enjoy shooting and hutnign with them. I even used to shoot a couple of old Damascus barreled guns, with black powder loads. they got soem attention on the Trap line!!

Doug K

Top Bottom