• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Theledwarehouse: I think what you need to ask is why are the flashlights made in China so much cheaper than the made in the USA. That would be because of free trade. They are allowed to use slave labor and then ship the product to us and sell at rates we cannot compete with. Tarrif's would fix that issue. The moment these company's would see that they are not saving money making their product overseas they will either stop doing business with us (fat chance), or start bringing jobs back to the people over here. Of course if people can get a product and save some money they will. The problem is the unfair competition we are up against and that is the governments fault.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Theledwarehouse: I think what you need to ask is why are the flashlights made in China so much cheaper than the made in the USA. That would be because of free trade. They are allowed to use slave labor and then ship the product to us and sell at rates we cannot compete with. Tarrif's would fix that issue. The moment these company's would see that they are not saving money making their product overseas they will either stop doing business with us (fat chance), or start bringing jobs back to the people over here. Of course if people can get a product and save some money they will. The problem is the unfair competition we are up against and that is the governments fault.

But what do we do when a basic flashlight now cost $50, when it used to cost $10 when it was coming from China? Or it now cost $40 because our govnt taxes it... Our household incomes are not going to go up. It's a catch 22.

I'm afraid the answer is a little more difficult than just taxing imported goods. That will decrease the amount of money going into the economy because stuff will just get more expensive.

Personally, I think we need to change the way we think. We need to realize that Americas strength has always been innovation, not manufacturing.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The only solution is to stop giving people free money to live on and let them die off. Then use the money the government is no longer giving them to pay off our bills. The welfare system is a self propelled failing system. It does not work.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    There is an estimated 2 trillion American dollars sitting in banks and 11 trillion in offshore accounts*. None of it is working in the economy and it is all because of our ridiculous tax system. The country was more prosperous before the income tax than afterwords.

*I can't find the source but I just read about it, and saw it debated not that long ago.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Kase -- Going back up to your example:

rich guy pays $500K of $1.5M or 33%
    other guy pays $10K of $40K or 25%

why should the rich guy have to paid more (%)? shouldn't everyone pay the same percentage?

I know there are some guys on here who really like the Fair Tax (or national sales tax), but a flat percentage seems to best to me (& everyone pays the full percentage, no exemptions).

Just my :twocents:..... Grizhicks

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Kase -- Going back up to your example:

rich guy pays $500K of $1.5M or 33%
    other guy pays $10K of $40K or 25%

why should the rich guy have to paid more (%)? shouldn't everyone pay the same percentage?

I know there are some guys on here who really like the Fair Tax (or national sales tax), but a flat percentage seems to best to me (& everyone pays the full percentage, no exemptions).

Just my :twocents:..... Grizhicks

The problem with this is that the rich will stay rich and middle class will get poor. Right now the wealthy pay like 36% and middle class upper 20's

A flat tax might end up being 33% across the board. So the wealthy pay 3 percent less and the middle class pays 5 percent more. That's not going to work out that well for society....

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The problem with this is that the rich will stay rich and middle class will get poor. Right now the wealthy pay like 36% and middle class upper 20's

A flat tax might end up being 33% across the board. So the wealthy pay 3 percent less and the middle class pays 5 percent more. That's not going to work out that well for society....
    We want the rich to stay rich. If they quit being rich they quit spending money. The problem does not lie with the middle class and the rich people paying taxes. The problem lies with the other half of the country paying zero taxes and in a lot of cases getting back more than was withheld from them if they actually worked. The poor people need to pay their share also even if it is only $100.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Explain to me how 175000 is rich? yes it is well off but not what I would consider rich. Why should people who make over 175 pay 1/3 when there are people getting more back than they pay in?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Ok I only read the first page, before I decided to add my two cents.

1) Businesses shouldn't pay taxes since they don't VOTE.
    2) Business should only be allowed to hold 1 year operating expenses in cash (this is determined by taking the mean operating expense as averaged over the last five years)
    3) All business should be sub-chapter S forcing them to send the money through to the principles of the company. (owners, Share holders, etc.)
    4) business should pay user fees to local government at a per square foot fee based on lot size for police, fire, roads, etc.
    5) Capitol Depreciation should be eliminated entirely.

This will make all the money go to personal income tax and be taxed there. This will also allow owners to invest and grow there business without being forced to borrow money. As well as many other things, this is not the end all cure all but it is a good start.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Explain to me how 175000 is rich? yes it is well off but not what I would consider rich. Why should people who make over 175 pay 1/3 when there are people getting more back than they pay in?

That's because we have the Robin Hood system here, which I am alright with. What I don't like is how easy it is to take advantage of they system here.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If the government would stick to their ACTUAL enumerated powers, and spend taxpayer money on what they actually have the power to spend it on, there wouldn't be the fiscal train wreck we have, and NOBODY would be taxed very much.

It's because of this illegal out of control government spending that the politics of envy can even flourish.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    See if this helps you understand.
    Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay $1.
    The sixth would pay $3.
    The seventh would pay $7.
    The eighth would pay $12.
    The ninth would pay $18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.
    So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.

'Since you are all such good customers,' he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20. 'Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men – the
    paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?' They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount,
    and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing
    (100% savings).
    The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
    The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
    The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 ( 22% savings).
    The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

'I only got a dollar out of the $20,' declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,' but he got $10!

''Yeah, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!! ''That's true!!' shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!'

'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!!!’

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!!!!!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis
    NO. The consumer does.
    Ditto. The corp just raises the price when their taxes go up. I work for a big box company and last time min. wage went up the price of everything went up the next day. some more, some only a few cents. Everyone (including the CEO) has to pay more.

If you make the sacrifice to get to were you make a ton, good for you. I don't think you should be punished for it.

If the Fed would just do the things they were supposed to (defence, roads, mail) then we wouldn't have the debt problem or the highest taxes.

Top Bottom