• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there on the internet. I've read many different threads on several forums about what this cartridge or that cartridge will or won't do. My experiences have gone against these "absolutes" on several occasions and this past weekend was yet another example.

I went down to Tennessee to do some long range shooting Sat & Sun. I took several rifles with me but was primarily wanting to give my IRA-10D/DPMS a good workout. I made a new cheek rest for it last week and wanted to see how it was going to help with proper eye relief and overall comfort of the rifle.

Got it out Saturday morning and went to work getting my dope for 400-1000 yards. Once I had that confirmed my shooting partner gave me an estimate for the required elevation to get out to 1200 yards. There was a round 12" steel plate hanging out there and I want to see if I could lob a few into it. I figured they would be tumbling when (if) they hit and wouldn't be consistent. After a few shots to figure out the wind I hit the steel four times in a row, something which isn't supposed to be possible (according to the internet) and something I honestly didn't expect to see.

One of the other shooters took a pic of the target for me later that day and I was even more surprised to see that the impacts were nice and round indicating that the bullets were still carrying decent velocity when they got there.

The target:
    3484.jpg

The rifle (before I made the new cheek rest):
    IMG_4149.jpg

For anyone interested my loads are a 175 SMK over 43.3gr RE15, Fed 210M and LC LR brass. This load shoots around 2725 fps through my 22" bolt gun at 80*F. The barrel on my gas gun is a 10 twist 24" DPMS (Wilson). It took 52 minutes of elevation to hit the target.

There are no absolutes, every rifle is different. If you really want to know what your equipment is capable of push it to it's limits and see for yourself. FWIW I went back out Sunday and hit the same steel 5/5 times.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    What steps do you take to prep your brass? COAL? Seating methods? Scope, rings, mount, etc. Curiosity begs me to ask.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Very nice, phylo.
    I would have expected it to be subsonic at that velocity.
    <moa @ 1200.....that's a shooter.

If you haven't already, you should consider shooting F class at Atterbury with it. 1/2 moa target rings @ 1000 would be right up your alley.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm so very glad that I'm a law-abiding citizen and will never find myself within 1000 yards of phylodog's rifle muzzle.

Fine shooting, and neat pics of your rifle!

-J-

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What steps do you take to prep your brass? COAL? Seating methods? Scope, rings, mount, etc. Curiosity begs me to ask.

After tumbling and cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner I run my LC LR brass through a small base die if it's going to be fed to this rifle. I then neck size, trim, chamfer, debur, prime & dump powder measured through an RCBS Chargemaster which has had the dispensing tube narrowed a bit to aid with consistent throws. I measure everything from the ogive but the COAL of these rounds is around 2.823". Seating and sizing is done with a Redding competition die set.

The rail is a GG&G GS-1, the rings are Seekins Precision and the scope is a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 NP-R2.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Of the two AR-10's i have been present when being shot accuracy became very inconsistent past 800 yards... after seeing this it makes me think that maybe it was shooter error. i wonder if your hand loading ability and shooting ability have reached a certain level of harmony.... this is some seriously impressive shooting and makes me glad that you work for the good guys.

Top Bottom