• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    I finally took the step into building my first AR. I decided to put the lower together myself (gonna be nervous first time i pull the trigger, lol) so I called my FFL yesterday to have him order me a PSA lower. I'm getting ready to order a PSA MOE LPK.

My question is about the upper though. I think I'm going with one of the PSA 14.7 uppers w/ the YHM Diamond rail. In regards to the BCG I was wondering, the PSA seems to spec out similiar to some big names ones. Would you replace the BCG with say a BCM or DD or is the PSA of equal quality? Or would it just be simpler to slap a BCM upper on the lower?

hey, im a newbie AR guy, i'm gonna have dumb questions, lol. :):

:ingo:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I have been researching PSA also, and I think that they are the best for the money, even the bolt. I have seen nothing bad about them yet. I think I am going to go with the PSA 20" model for my next build.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I see no reason to change out the BCG. PSA's are 158 steel, C/L key with proper fasteners, properly staked. C/L carrier. They MPI their bolts.

BCM has been out there longer and earned their reputation, but that appears to be all they have over PSA.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I see no reason to change out the BCG. PSA's are 158 steel, C/L key with proper fasteners, properly staked. C/L carrier. They MPI their bolts.

BCM has been out there longer and earned their reputation, but that appears to be all they have over PSA.

+1. I have a PSA 10.5" upper with their BCG, no issues yet. All my interaction with PSA has been good, they will take care of you if something is wrong. If you are going to replace the BCG, I would look into Spike's Nickel Boron ones, they are a little more expensive, but worthwhile. I wouldn't replace a PSA with a DD/BCM.

Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    yeah, i saw those nickel boron bcg'sand they're what like 200 and change? When reading the specs on the different bcg's they seemed pretty similiar but being fairly new i figure it wouldn' hurt to ask.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've read quite a bit and the PSA ones seem to be working fine for those that have them and didn't "upgrade". If they're working fine, why spend more money if it isn't going to really change performance? Spend that on ammo or strippers.

Acole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    From the pictures, it looks like they also use the heavier M16 carrier, as opposed to the AR15 or AR15 Enhanced carriers.

Acole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    In the rifle kit descriptions, they state that it is a full auto carrier.
    I was looking for a spot where they said, but couldn't find it (then again, I was looking at the parts, not the kits).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There's a little less metal on an "AR15" bolt carrier than on an "M16" bolt carrier. It's an extension of the cutout on the bottom to the rear, so it can't reach an auto sear. It's not enough mass removed to really affect the action. As long as you expect it to go "bang" when you pull the trigger rather than "bangbangbang" it won't make any difference. If you put an M16 one in, just make sure you haven't replaced all the rest of the parts with M16 ones, and you'll be ok. The sear is the critical part.

Acole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I've heard that the M16 bolt-carrier is more desirable in AR-15 builds by virtue of the fact that this extra metal gives the carrier some extra mass, which in turn increases reliability and decreases wear on the rifle.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to that, but most of the higher end manufacturers seem to use the M16 carrier. At the least, I can't see how it would hurt.

Top Bottom