• ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    ATF, ICE, FBI, CIA, NSA?

I've been trying extremely hard to get into the FBI and have run into an issue thanks to a professor I managed to have twice through my academic career thus far. I was maintaining a 3.05 GPA at Purdue University in Computer Information & Technology: NET major which is ranked at number 5 in the nation. I took a java programming class that was required, where I learned that I had this horrible teacher again. We had him freshman year, where 119/127 people failed the class due to him losing assignments, quizzes, and even people's finals. He made up grades, adjusted them, and overall royally screwed people. My 39% ended up being a C. Anyways, I thought things had changed as I went through this class. I had a 78% in the class when it was time to take the final. Little did I know that the 30+ hours I did of studying would have no effect. I had thought for sure I could snag that B in the class.

I won't forget the day we took our final. The test wasn't for our class. It was asking questions based on Blue Jay / Console / Commands and other things we had never seen or heard of before. These were things none of us had ever learned. It was the final from his previous class of java. 52/74 people failed the final. No A's, No B's, 5 C's, some D's, and 52F's.

This cost me my 3.0 GPA, and after 40+ e-mails to the head of the CIT department, no answer was received. I forgot abotu it over the summer, because I had some family issues, moving due to work, etc that I had to handle. I didn't realize until the other week how it would effect me in my application process for the FBI.

a MINIMUM of a 3.0 GPA is required for the Honors Internship Program. The application is due in a week or so, and I know complaining about it won't fix anything. I can't go to the FBI with, "It's not my fault...!"

Just wondering if there is anyone in any of the bureau's that might be able to pull a string or two for me. All of my life I've tried to be successful in the corporate world, which I have done very well in, but I keep wanting to try for the FBI/ATF/etc... I guess I fit the profile, and I hate to miss an opportunity thanks to some grumpy old dude who retired right after failing a whole bunch of kids. ( My grade went from a 78%, to a 66% even with a 99% on my final group project. )

Any suggestions? I'm currently trying to speak with the recruiter in person / over the phone as it seems government people are never at their desk or available unless you call and say you have a bomb. ;)

Anyways, I'm actually willing to give up a much higher paying job to do this. I think I will be much happier in a position like this, than I would be behind a cubicle making sure some insurance companies network is up to speed.

Thanks for any suggestions / help.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have a buddy that works as a special agent for the IRS and another that works for the FBI. I'll tell you right now getting strings pulled for some grade/GPA you got in college probably isn't going to happen. No one is going to want to hear about your top ranked school or difficult professor. Not trying to be an ass. Just putting it out there. Best of Luck! :yesway:

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have a buddy that works as a special agent for the IRS and another that works for the FBI. I'll tell you right now getting strings pulled for some grade/GPA you got in college probably isn't going to happen. No one is going to want to hear about your top ranked school or difficult professor. Not trying to be an ass. Just putting it out there. Best of Luck! :yesway:

Understood. Didn't know if it was possible to have someone "hand" a resume to the recruiter or person. It's possible.

I really don't think they would worry about the GPA if they met me. I'm pretty sure I would do extremely well in the program. I understand it's their way to sort out the bad apples and people who could not hack it. Some may say, that I should be in that pile, but it's a little more complicated than the traditional black and white.

I've got a great deal of experience in a lot of areas, and currently work for a fortune 100 company. ( Allstate Insurance ). I'm ahead for my age and class.

Let's just hope I can make a big impact on the recruiter if I can ever speak to her live, and not her voicemail.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I am kind of in the same boat...I'm currently finishing up a Criminology degree at Indiana State. You ever think of applying to another organization? I hear once you get into a job with the .gov, you have a much better chance getting in than the ordinary joe out of college like youself with the same grades.

I'm finishing up to hit up the SS again. I applied as I was a year away from grauation and was working at the Newport Chemical Depot. Security clearance and all was not enough, they just want a degree or prior military service...

Hope this helps...good luck.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think you should press the university for resolution of the issue at hand... See if you can get a hold of the class list from that class. (Have any friends that work for the university?!)

Press, press, press, press. Write a letter (or a dozen) to the campus paper(s). Send the same letter(s) to the Lafayette paper.

Plead your case to your academic advisor. Find out the email of the program's Dean and hammer it. Send emails to their support staff, too. Don't let the school hose you.

-J-

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Want to give me your "boring network job"? I just graduate with my B.S. in comp sci and management information systems ;)

I also agree with making face to face meetings instead of emails or regular mail. Its easy to mix one email in with the rest of them, but If you show up and demand that some wrong is righted you will have a better chance.

I am pretty sure every comp sci department has "those teachers." In my case it was a tiny Asian lady who spoke directly to the white-board, in a hushed, heavily accented voice, while reading directly from our text book, then made up tests on material that was not in our book.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Also, if it is an issue with the overall GPA, not just the Java class grade, figure out how many other classes are needed with As to get back up over the hump. Perhaps adding a few "easy As" would get you back on the right side of 3.0. That would cost some money in class fees, but might be an easier alternative.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hey, could be worst - you could have an IT degree from a Big 10 school and be working retail like me.. making minimum wage..

Man, the things you do to keep the wife happy :P

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Would it be possible for you to take the class over, maybe by home study on the computer?

I would also suggest that you try to get involved in some type of police work. Maybe you could get in a reserve program. Much of the time, having real world experience can make up for one academic glitch.

Getting into the FBI isn't easy, and staying there is tough. I agree with Fenway. They won't want to hear of your problem, just what you did to overcome it.

If all else fails, you might have to set your sights a little lower than the "Honors Intern Program". You might try applying for a low level desk job in the FBI and work your way up to getting a slot at the academy.

Good Luck!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    how long ago did you leave Purdue? You might beable to retake the class..
    the have had some staff changes..

also sometimes the stuff on a test is stuff only covered in the books and not talked about in classes..

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the suggestions guys...

For the record, I'm a junior at Purdue University still. I've done well in the corporate world, and just happen to continue to work for Allstate Insurance as a network engineer.

I'm going to try and get in touch with the ATF locally and see if I can do some volunteer work for them. I suppose I can work for allstate next summer, while working with the ATF on the weekends in chicago, and then try again for the internship next summer if I can get my GPA up this year.

I'm anxious to see what the interrogation room is like. Several hours being pushed. I do very well under stress and am interested to see what tactics they use. I've had 2 friends go through it, and they both said you come out feeling like a horrible person. :)

Time for bed! Thanks.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Best of luck to you! I hope they're more welcoming to you than the local gov't has been to me.. I've tried several times to volunteer and I'm consistently shrugged off. Can't figure it out - I have experience at the local, state and federal level in emergency management, but the locals wouldn't talk to me, even when they were so undermanned that they couldn't go home at night..

Just keep at it - I'm working on several different areas now, and while it takes time, sooner or later something will come around..

Top Bottom