• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sswheeler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Indy
    First off, I am NOT a supporter! Never was, Never will be.

I came across an old brass belt buckle that has a picture of a klansman chopping down a tree with 3 people in it??? very detailed. On the back it has a witch flying on a broom and says "daniel low & co. salem, mass. witch". Also says "Imperial order of the ku klux klan" "designed by rev. branford clark".

Google returned limeted results. Any ideas how old this could be? value?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Remind me to go home and burn all my white linens. I didn't realize you could collect Klan "memorabilia".

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Wouldn't know. Why would you think that a gun site is a good source for KKK info? :noway:
    Why wouldn't it be? This is the break room and people collect all kinds of things. Especially when it has to do with history.

To the OP. Sorry I can't help you. Don't know anything about the KKK other than what I have seen on the history channel.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Why wouldn't it be? This is the break room and people collect all kinds of things. Especially when it has to do with history.

To the OP. Sorry I can't help you. Don't know anything about the KKK other than what I have seen on the history channel.

Yes, people collect all kinds of things and I'm sure some even collect KKK items. But linking INGO to the white hick racist anti-semitic gun-clinger stereotype has no upside.

The OP already mentioned using Google. If he really wants info, I'm sure that he can find such collectors there.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Taboo subject is taboo.

OP said he's never been a supporter nor will he ever be. I'll take his word for it.

On the subject of the buckle: it does make me wonder what the depiction signifies. I really don't know anything about the history of the clan - except the murdering, terrorism and vile parts.

And on taboo subjects, as much as I hate the nazi symbolage, if a captured relic rifle or pistol with eagle proof marks crossed my path and was priced right, I might consider acquiring something like that.

But that's not something to show-off. It would probably be misunderstood as being a fan of the nazis. Probably misunderstood by some of the people here.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    a strange belt buckle made by the daniel low co.,salem mass - AskEarth

Does it look like this? Gallery :: Belt Buckles of the Old West :: BuckleKKKRomeAxF

Daniel Low & Company
    231 Essex Street
    Salem, Massachusetts

Been in business since 1867
    BuckleKKKRomeAxF

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have several nazi relics that have the eagle crest on them that I acquired from the missus' father when he past(he wasn't racist one bit either).

I have white, black, Asian and Jewish friends, I have never been, nor will I ever be someone who hates on someone else who is born the way they are...

I have shown these relics to all of them...All of them had zero contempt of the items I showed them; they were more fascinated than anything.

OK, yeah I guess this post really adds nothing to the thread, since I have no idea how to help you appraise what that buckle is worth.:n00b:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I really don't know anything about the history of the clan - except the murdering, terrorism and vile parts.

The Klan actually started out as an adult social group imitating fraternities. Hints the three letters of establishment....KKK. Since it was started in the south and just after the civil warm when riding the streets in the white attire, the spooked the newly released slaves. Then it just turned into a sport, and that is where it snowballed into problems, with help from the local media.

Do a quick search, interesting history out there in These United States.

Sorry for the :hijack:

And NO I don't support the Klan.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I believe Americans view the KKK much the same way Germans view the Nazi's.

Redneckmedic- Sorry, but that's not exactly true. It's original goal WAS to restore white supremecy to the South. It was violent from the start.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    The difference between collecting Nazi memorabilia and KKK stuff here in America is that Nazi relics sybolize a foreign evil that we helped to defeat.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I believe Americans view the KKK much the same way Germans view the Nazi's.

Redneckmedic- Sorry, but that's not exactly true. It's original goal WAS to restore white supremecy to the South. It was violent from the start.

I just watched a documentary on the History channel yesterday and Redneckmedic is correct. They started out as a social club/fraternity; Ku Klux is a rough translation from the latin for "closed circle." It then evolved into a group that tried to restore the "status quo" of white supremacy that existed prior to the Civil War. It wasn't until they started scaring the African American population in the south by telling them that the men in sheets were ghosts of Confederate soldiers that they began to specifically become racist. At first they just rode around in their sheets and scared them, then they became violent. When it became violent some of the early leaders like Nathaniel Bedford Forrest cut ties with the group because they didn't believe in the direction they were headed.

I don't endorse or support this group, just passing along what I learned on the History channel. I know this version is different than what wikipedia says, but I'll go with the History channel's version over what the internet collective thinks any day.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom