• ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Hey all,

I just got my ltch, and a pf9. I already had a p22 (obviously not a defensive weapon), but I was wondering. I haven't really tried a lot, but I haven't found a holster that's really comfortable. Is ankle carrying a viable option? Should I even consider carrying the .22 as a backup? so, it would be the 9mm on the hip/iwb, and the .22 on the ankle. Thoughts?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I'll bite.

I would feel comfortable with a .22 as a def weapon. It may not have the ooomph of other cartridges, but it will kill. There have been several discussions to this effect. The bottom line, is that it comes down to shot placement, not the bullet. That, and anything is better than a pocket (or holster) of nothing.

That being said, if you are considering it, I suggest you get an ankle holster, and try it around the house for comfort, and also practice drawing from it. It will take two hands. So.. all that said, however you feel comfortable.

Edit to Add: I have tried ankle carrying, and I don't like it. Just me though.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i carry a P11 in a Renegade holster for the automatic. They make two types, one for a revolver and one for a automatic.

It is very comfortable. They now have a small frame model 53 that would probably work better, they didn't have that when I ordered mine so mine was for a Glock sized pistol. The P11 fits well in it but I had to cut the restraining strap shorter since it is a smaller gun.

Home

rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I carry a walther .22 on my ankle and carry a kahr .40 on my hip. When I am going out and do not feel right about carrying a gun on my hip, I will always carry on my ankle. It's a great way to conceal a weapon.

Disadvantage of carrying on your ankle:
    You have to practice pulling your weapon from your ankle, it's an unnatural movement. When it comes time to draw your weapon, if you haven't practice drawing from your ankle, and you reach for your hip ------IT'S NOT THERE :0.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I carry a walther .22 on my ankle and carry a kahr .40 on my hip. When I am going out and do not feel right about carrying a gun on my hip, I will always carry on my ankle. It's a great way to conceal a weapon.

Disadvantage of carrying on your ankle:
    You have to practice pulling your weapon from your ankle, it's an unnatural movement. When it comes time to draw your weapon, if you haven't practice drawing from your ankle, and you reach for your hip ------IT'S NOT THERE :0.
    I ankle carried a lot until just recently. To do it properly I had to slightly modify my "wardrobe." I wore 6" high work boots that still looked good with dress pants. I got "boot cut" jeans so the g27, g19 or Ruger SP101 was barely printing. I finally got a good holster that is molded for my g27,23. It is very comfortable and you forget you have it on because it rests on the top of the boot. In a vehicle you will be able to draw faster than from a right hip holster because your pants will ride up to almost expose the gun and your hand is very close to it when you reach down.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    I have carried a small revolver in an ankle holster and find it to be THE most comfortable method of carry for me. As I get older though it's a little awkward getting to it, I have balance issues that I didn't have when I was a younger man. Too much fumble and stumble possible now. Pocket carry, with a pocket holster of course, is my current method. Very comfortable with most trousers, not a fast draw way to carry though if I ever needed it while driving a car, but.....still armed. Sometimes I put it in the center console while in the vehicle. I have gotten pretty good at discretly getting it from the center console to my pocket before exiting the car.

Ankle holster carry is really a good option though unless you have difficulty retrieving it because of some physical limitation....age...etc.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I ankle carry a G27 in a Galco Ankle Glove. It's very comfortable and I can wear it all day without issue.

As someone else mentioned, you'll need a pant leg that will allow for an easier draw; boot fit and/or carpenter style jeans work well for me. Also, while not as stylish, a pair of shorts make for quite an easy draw! :D

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ive thought about it a lot, and my main conclusion is that it would only be good for a BUG. main carry should be on the hip or under the armpit just for ease and speed of draw.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I had a S&W 638 that I carried in an Alessi ankle holster, no problem with that method of carry, but I sold the gun and holster, now I sometimes carry my PM9 in a Renegade ankle holster and its not a problem, may be the best way to carry if you spend most of your time driving. Renegades are inexpensive, and very comfortable.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I ankle carry under two conditions. When I'm not wearing cowboy boots and when I can't carry a gun on my hip. I carry a PF9 in a nylon holster and am good with it. When I have my boots on I often tuck an Earl down one boot in a leather holster. Usually though I just have a gun on my hip.
    Good luck to you in however you decide to carry.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I tried...couldn't get a J-frame to dissapear. I think it had to do with the fobus holster I had not holding the firearm close enough to my leg. I gave up on it and always carry a larger firearm of a PM9 IWB when ultimate concealment is necessary.
    It doesn't have to totally disappear. Unless you are wearing really tight slacks so that there is a very obvious lump there people just won't notice. Try boot cut or relaxed fit jeans. And don't forget to make them a size longer so when you sit down they don't ride up and partially expose your rig.

Top Bottom