• ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Hey all,

I just got my ltch, and a pf9. I already had a p22 (obviously not a defensive weapon), but I was wondering. I haven't really tried a lot, but I haven't found a holster that's really comfortable. Is ankle carrying a viable option? Should I even consider carrying the .22 as a backup? so, it would be the 9mm on the hip/iwb, and the .22 on the ankle. Thoughts?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If I told you I would have to ... you know. ;)

For me one main problem of ankle carry is weight distribution, even with a light weight and compact gun like the PF9 it's a lot of weight on your ankle.
    I guess it depends how active you are but for me I dont like the idea of having a block of steel on my ankle.If you walk you may not notice the weight (with a good holster and good gun) but if you are running or throwing knees and kicks during a fight, you may find this weight to be a problem.
    It really depends if there is really no other way you can conceal a gun.
    Also you will have to train to access you gun from that position.

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    I do. I wear carpenter pants 99% of the time, so for me, with a S&W 638 in a Galco ankle glove on and my pants, it works perfect. You do give up draw speed in a standing position, but, you give up draw speed with a IWB holster as well when you are seated, ie. in the car, movies, out to eat, sitting, were we spend the most time anyway. This is were the ankle holster excels. The gun is right there, within reach on your ankle. With the right holster, for me, the ankle glove, there is no wiggle to the gun, running is not a problem given you spend some time getting the holster tension correct. You do have to pay attention to certain situations in regard to inadvertaintly exposing the holster, just like IWB carry. Getting out of the car is one, and so is crossing your legs, just be aware of your holster and pants cuff.

Try it, see if you like it, if not, sell the holster and try another.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I carried a .25 Beretta on my ankle for a couple years. My thinking was that if my handcuffs ever got used on me, presumably my sidearm would be taken as well. The positioning of the Beretta would allow me to reach it with handcuffs on, not get in the way of my normal movement, and probably wouldn't be a place that someone would think to search like they might with a waistband. I also used that setup for when I was undercover too deep for typical concealed carry, like inside the waist.

Having said that, I wouldn't do it for just regular concealed carry. You aren't going to be accurate enough under stress to stop an attacker with that round. Its takes too long to get to your ankle to make a difference and its more likely that it will get taken from you if you are jumped. Eventually you won't bother strapping it to your ankle because you will realize its almost certain you will never need it and its hot out and it makes your leg sweat and you want to wear shorts, etc.

If you really want to carry it, get a pocket holster. If you get mugged it looks like a wallet until its level to the attackers face and if its taken you still have your main. You will probably decide at some point to just carry the .22 like if you are going on a quick errand or to the lake and leave your 9mm in your car or whatever.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carried a .25 Beretta on my ankle for a couple years. My thinking was that if my handcuffs ever got used on me, presumably my sidearm would be taken as well. The positioning of the Beretta would allow me to reach it with handcuffs on, not get in the way of my normal movement, and probably wouldn't be a place that someone would think to search like they might with a waistband. I also used that setup for when I was undercover too deep for typical concealed carry, like inside the waist.

Having said that, I wouldn't do it for just regular concealed carry. You aren't going to be accurate enough under stress to stop an attacker with that round. Its takes too long to get to your ankle to make a difference and its more likely that it will get taken from you if you are jumped. Eventually you won't bother strapping it to your ankle because you will realize its almost certain you will never need it and its hot out and it makes your leg sweat and you want to wear shorts, etc.

If you really want to carry it, get a pocket holster. If you get mugged it looks like a wallet until its level to the attackers face and if its taken you still have your main. You will probably decide at some point to just carry the .22 like if you are going on a quick errand or to the lake and leave your 9mm in your car or whatever.

I agree.
    Unless I was a LEO on duty I wouldn't carry a back-up gun on my ankle.
    As a non-LEO I think carrying a second gun is too much trouble, I mean carrying one single gun 24/7 is arlready enough trouble.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Two is one and one is none...

Ankle, pocket, shoulder, IWB, OWB doesn't matter.

Train with whatever you carry.

Train to draw, return, reload, clear a jam, etc.

Consider professional training.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have only ankle carried to get a gun into sporting events that could have required a pat down to get into. Once inside I went to the bathroom and switched to pocket carry. I have a decently comfortable ankle holster (I can't remember the brand), but I wouldn't be able to do it as an all-day every-day type of thing. It's good to have as an option IMO.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I did about a year ago, for awhile, and I have relatively recently started again. I am in business attire almost all the time during the day, and have found it works very well. For various reasons, I am not allowed to carry as much as I would prefer. But, I have found that the ankle holster solution works well for me. I can't remember the brand, either, but if you want to try it, I suggest going someplace where you can find one that is comfortable for you.

There are tradeoffs. I have a great pair of lightweight pants that I realized make it print pretty bad! Granted, 99.999% of people (or more) don't look for that kind of stuff, so no one notices, but it is something I try to be careful about.

It isn't my preferred method of carry, but it is a viable option.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I carry on the ankle when I get stuck with the midnight shift at work. S&W 642 in an Ankle Glove. It chafed at first but I've gotten to the point that with a decent pair of wool socks to wick the moisture away I can carry all day, even for multiple days when camping, without discomfort. I like it because, like T. Lex, I can't get away with normal carry at work. I'm not predisposed to running, but I've jogged short distances while carrying. I can feel the weight quite clearly but I've never had trouble with my revolver bouncing loose.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Glock 26 in a Galco Ankle-Lite = The IHOP Gun.

ANKLELIT.jpg

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I carried a snubby 38 when I worked uniformed security in an ankle glove as a back up weapon. Great holster! I work in a medical office now and wear scrubs. It is against work policy for me to carry their, so I keep my Smith 642 in my car; if I make a stop after work, very easy to strap onto my ankle.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    When I carried I always ankle carried. Of course the only time I ever wear shorts is when I'm on the boat, so concealing it isn't a problem for me. If you wear shorts, I don't suggest an ankle holster.

As to your question about it being comfortable. With the right firearm and the right holster, I didn't ever feel it. I wear 8" Bates and I just strapped it to the top of those. The weight didn't bother me since it was a single stack 9mm.

Really you just have to try it and see if it's comfortable and practical for you. Everyone's opinions will differ so try it out and see for yourself. :)

Top Bottom