• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do think calling 9-1-1 and blowing your leg off to be funny.
    He had an I phone............was he using an App or was that an Amp?

IIRC he had a shotgun with pistol grip (or extra short bbl)............expect some of this nonsense with KSG's.

Sometimes a little more distance on a muzzle is a good thing.

Maybe not.

I dunno, is a prosthetic foot cheaper than a prosthetic leg? I would think so.
    Probably need to post a poll on wherever those Einsteins hang out.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe those who do not use a safety have the action slightly open.........in every sporting instance.

But........anybody can have a brain fart.

One of these days I might bobble...............deer or yote come by and gun comes up and no boom....safety be on. That would be a forgiveable oops in context of thread events common to non safety usage.

I use (and monitor) my gun's safety, religiously.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Pointing guns at people, not using safeties, growing beards. It's a man's life at INGO.

Well, the question was posed by a gentleman that said, "I think fanning people with unloaded guns is OK."

Odd that pointing unloaded guns at people is OK. The Indiana General Assembly considers it a misdemeanor and the Indiana State Police say it is behaviour that demonstrates an inability to safely handle firearms so they yank your LTCH.

I mean, Bosma has a beard, but really, how Operator are the rest of them?

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was trained on the use of the pump shotgun in the 1990's. The safety button was disregarded except in one instance after shotgun deployment, otherwise the chamber is kept empty and the shotgun is "cruiser ready".

None of this applies to hunting or range use of the shotgun. It applies to the use of the shotgun in an offensive or defensive role. Against men. Who might have to be gotten shot.

In 12 years on the PD I frequently used the 870 on hot calls or when I thought it might provide an edge. And many times, it did provide that edge.

On some calls, the hammer was down and the slide was ready to be racked. On other calls, the slide was back and all that was required would be to push the slide forward and bang the trigger for the loud noise.

Maybe three times, the slide went forward but it wasn't necessary to make the loud noise. Rufus made a move that stopped the process. The safety was applied when the suspect was secured and the shotgun was then converted to cruiser ready away from that scene and in a safe area.

That is my experience. I still deploy my home defense shotgun in the same way. It is how I trained. And I am totally comfortable with it.

You won't learn how to do it by reading about it.

When I am duck hunting, my story is different.

It's how I was taught by my father who was trained in the correctional facilities uses of shotgun. In my house, the sound of the slide moving isn't going to be heard over the noise of the 3 dogs in the house telling daddy there's people here that shouldn't be. You come in my housewith a large german shephard and 2 border collie mixes barking their heads off, I'm shooting first. You are not there to be friendly.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    I always use a safety. My day job is Quality Control, i see stuff get by that should have never gotten by an operator, but things happen. That is exactly why i use a safety, my greatest safety is between my ears, but at the end of the day i am only human and legitimate accidents happen, not just NDs people call accidents. Once i was walking through a briar patch flushing pheasant and i got my foot caught on a vine that had grown back into the ground making a perfect loop, if i had tripped, which i very nearly did, and my hand slipped or a branch got in my trigger guard i could have very well injured myself or another setting off that gun. This is why i prefer safeties on all guns, because I am only human and you are too.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My O/U's and SXS's have the automatic safeties disabled, on the skeet or sporting clays courses my action is open till I call for the birds, when hunting upland game the action is open till the bird flushes, been doing this so long closing the action is automatic when shouldering and starting my swing. For competition with a semiauto the safety is used, normally it is required by the rules. My SD shotgun is stored with a loaded mag, empty chamber, safety off. Reason for the empty chamber is because if it does fall into the wrong hands the vast majority can't chamber a round in a HK 121 without instruction.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I use the safety on all my guns. It was how I was taught and if I don't I get *****ed at by my retired Marine Sargent son. Kids, you teach them something and they never forget.

Top Bottom