• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I really want to support my LGS.

Only problem is that I always feel like I'm bothering them to actually shop around a bit. I would never have a chance to pick up various accessories and "try them out". Not to mention less than competitive pricing.

All of these challenges and they still have the gall to post a "No Loaded Guns" sign at the entrance.....Believe it or not but I have "tried out" more equipment at Gander Mountain than any LGS - and I can actually exercise my 2A rights while I'm at it....

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010

Only problem is that I always feel like I'm bothering them to actually shop around a bit. I would never have a chance to pick up various accessories and "try them out". Not to mention less than competitive pricing.

All of these challenges and they still have the gall to post a "No Loaded Guns" sign at the entrance.....Believe it or not but I have "tried out" more equipment at Gander Mountain than any LGS - and I can actually exercise my 2A rights while I'm at it....

Don't know what LGS you use, but most that post "No Loaded Guns" are NOT referring to your carry piece. They are referring to whatever you may be bringing in for appraisal (to sell/trade/consign). Also, many of them are required by their insurance to post that sign.

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    i definitely support the shops close to me for several reasons. one i'm a hands on person i want to see what im buying. want to make sure its what i want or if its going to work. if they don't have it they usually get it for me. the other is i do not buy online will probably never ever... besides id like to keep them open so why not support them. and there is always gun shows when they are in town.

also for me its like a kid walking into a candy shop :)

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I had some issues early on with blythes. They seemingly ignored me each time I went in, and I could barely get any service, probably because I look much much younger than I really am and they didn't think that I was even old enough to buy(not that its a valid excuse), even though I'm well over the age to buy. But a friend of mine who frequents there, made it a point to bring it up to the owner. Ever since then I've had better customer service. I also agree that some of there prices can be on the high side, but I've been lucky and found fair prices on the guns I've been looking for... I think if there was more competition, things would get better, but in NWI, there's not many LGS choices nearby...

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I only buy from local shops. I am not saying I only buy from one shop all the time but I only buy from small Indiana owned shops. No Dicks, No Gander, nothing but local businesses with local owners.

This is about the only thing I can do this with and therefore I do it. I cant just buy food or gas or clothing from local shops because there really isnt any but I can with guns and gun parts so I do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was looking a Gander Mountain ad this weekend. Showed my wife a gun and made the comment that it might be a nice pistol and gift for her father. She took one look, agreed the price was decent and told me that out money would be spent at the local family owned gun shop. As long as the local guy keeps treating me fairly I have no reason to drive elsewhere.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I got into Blythes in Valpo once or twice a month. Bought one of thier surplus $99 Mosin 91/30's back in the late summer too, my second mosin. I might buy another after the holidays are over. I normally buy my ammo for my sks at blythes and my cleaning supplies for my guns. I've always hada good expierence there but like some one else said somedays its busy in there shop. This past saturday the gun range was full and a large crowd was in the shop but I was still in and out pretty fast since all I was doing was buying ammo.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I support mine and my credit cards can verify it!!!:) All LGS's are pretty much the same, sometimes you find a deal, most times maybe not. If I find a deal, they get my buisness, if I don't, I go elsewhere or don't deal at all till one comes along. There are 4 in my area I mainly do buisness with (so now I'll plug them) Reloaders Supply in Jeffersonville www.reloaderssupply.net Dale and Edie have always treated me right on reloading supplys and firearms. $15 xfer fees. Just did a combo deal with Hi-Tek in Sellersburg $15 xfer fees. Jeff at Scotts Hdw. in Scottsburg xfer fees?. Dale(be ready for a lenghy conversation) at 256 Sport and Garden in Austin Xfer fees?. Cant' always find the deals, but have always been treated fairly by these folks.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So far I have bought 4 guns from Tomlinson's in Churubusco along with numerous boxes of ammo, plus have sent several other customers their way to purchase guns over the years, so I would say that I support my local gun shop.

But its easy to do since Tomlinson's rocks :rockwoot:

:+1: Bought my Marlin there. Good service. Good advice. Good staff—guys and gals.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

You are in the wrong LGS, my friend.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i make very frequent trips to mcgalliard guns and more. just cant beat their prices 90 percent of the time and even my wife has made comments on how nice they are. think we may even be popping for a glock for her soon.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    I ALWAYS check my LGS and offer them the business first. Our economy is bad enough that every job we can keep local is a plus for me. Most of the time I end up buying from my local Big R (still local jobs) and oftentimes 20-40% or more price difference. That being said, I regularly overspend at a LGS just to give them the support they deserve for outstanding customer service.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    While this video is obviously some good advertising for Blythes specifically, as someone with a vested interest in getting people to patronize their local gun shop, I appreciate the general sentiment behind it. :ingo:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I support my local FFL, not LGS. Front Toward Enemy firearms has always treated me well with $20 transfers and $45 for my class III stuff. Blyth's is charging what? $50 per transfer for regular stuff?

I send him a link to how much it will cost online. He tells me if he can match it. If not then I order it online and pay him the transfer fee.

Unlike Blyth's I don't get a lecture on wholesale pricing, shipping, and brick and mortar blah blah blah.

I don't know where you were pulling that Trijicon optic from but I always found a good supply of NC Star, Barska, and Tasco optics that they can keep.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Do I support my LGS, Yes, and sort of.

It largely depends on what I want/need. The shop I support the most is where I've gotten the best deals, which has always been off the used rack. My taste in firearms is largely pragmatic. I don't own an AR or AK, and I'm not worried about one, but the shop I support the most, that is what they sell a lot of. I went in there a few weeks ago, and wound up leaving with a TC Encore with a 223 barrel and scope, plus two more barrels. I did that for less than what the same gun new would cost 2 miles the other direction. Basically, I wanted something that they didn't want to have in the first place, so now, everyone is happy.

If I decided that I needed an AR (not likely, but hey, who knows), I'd pick one up there, without a second thought.

The sort of shop is the one that is 2 miles the other direction. Their selection of firearms is much more inline with my taste in firearms (I have to be able to hunt with it or compete in a shooting sport: bullseye, silhouette, target, etc; not 3-gun or USPSA, at least not right now). That said, their prices are higher, trade-in values are lower, and the prices on reloading supplies are much more than online shops. So, do I still shop there, sure, but only when I run out of powder, or need to fix a die that I'm in the middle of using for a reloading project.

D

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Yes.

Thus far all of my gun purchases in the last couple of years have been from PSS. Their prices are quite competitive and I feel that it is in my best interest to do my part to help keep them around. It is really great to have a well stocked shop only five miles from my door. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The 5 local shops that I've put money into are Bradis, The Outdoorsman, Wanamaker Guns, PSS and Elmore's. All of them have provided me with what I need from time to time, but Bradis and PSS will always be my favorites. I did buy a couple of guns online lately, but only because you cannot get ex-Czech Police CZ 75s in bulk locally.

Top Bottom