Do you support the legalization of marijuana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support the legalization of marijuana?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    ...except that alcohol is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. Marijuana is responsible for zero.

If you honestly believe that not a single person has died while under the use of marijuana or caused the death of an innocent while under the use of marijuana, it's time to put down the pipe.

I'd also like to point out something, it's 100% legal to make your own alcohol. It's just not legal to sell it without going through the proper channels. Moonshine is also legal, again as long as you don't sell it (not sure bout IN on this one, but I know it is in other states). So growing weed in your backyard is not different than the hopps and barley you have fermenting in your clsoset.

I voted legalize, control, and tax.

I have never smoked marijuana and never plan to, but I believe it puts an enormous strain on our prison system for a drug that isn't all that harmful and fighting a war we can't win. I used to know a lot of people that smoked and I would also argue that alcohol is way worse for you than marijuan is.

I think, if used properly, the tax from it would help chop away at the national debt (assuming our spending was made reasonable, thanks BHO!) and could possibly lower taxes in other places (wishful thinking).

I just see far more pros than cons to the situation.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    drugs are bad...Mmmmm kay

Im against it being legal simple as that. medical use? sure why not:dunno: if it helps...cool beans!

teh Nub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Clark Co
    I can't agree with this. Operating while intoxicated is the same whether you're intoxicated on alcohol or marijuana or oxycontin. I'm sure marijuana is responsible for far few deaths than alcohol due solely to popularity, but I'm sure people have killed others while driving around high too.

I voted NO because I feel that would just increase the number of deaths due to driving while "intoxicated".....

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I believe it should be taxed and regulated, but available. There are too many benefits as opposed to negatives with that idea: weed is available, cutting down on crime in general (less folks ending up in prison due to possession or selling), potential state income and savings (more taxable income, plus less money spent processing dealers and users).

The idea that folks become "intoxicated" obviously have not done mary before. Show me an accident that involved weed. The "Ainsley" approach to weed is baseless and has no factual concept to it. Mayor LaGuardia of New York actually did a study regaarding Mary right after Ainsley's baseless "crusade against evil weed" movies. LaGuardia actually used scientific data and determined weed was never a major contributor in crimes, it is nonaddictive, was used in similar amounts twixt races, and has no long term effects that are life threatening (resin can build up in lungs depending on the weed smoked, cheap stuff ruins lungs, but that is all one can get due to law enforcement cracking down on distribution).

I am not a HUGE fan of mary, did some during college. I didn't care for it on a huge basis at all, the cost and illegality of it was unattractive. The pathological fear of weed is baseless, founded by lies propagated by a fame and money seeker from the 30s and 40s (Ainsley).

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    So we should legalize violence as well?

I'll give this credit (possibly undue) for being a serious attempt at constructive discussion. I didn't suggest the government be involved. That's the problem now.

So we should legalize violence as well?

If that's what you got out of that, I'm surprised, I would have given you a lot more credit for reading comprehension skills.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I would legalize it, tax it, and treat it no differently than alcohol. More importantly, I would expand the use of hemp for paper. clothing, and any other uses that people have come up with over the last few hundred years of it's agricultural and industrial use.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would legalize it, tax it, and treat it no differently than alcohol. More importantly, I would expand the use of hemp for paper. clothing, and any other uses that people have come up with over the last few hundred years of it's agricultural and industrial use.

That would be ideal. Too ideal for the old boys that are already using other means to manufacture those goods.

Unless they are willing to abandon their methods and jump to the hemp production, I'd see them lobbying to keep it out of our stores.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    That would be ideal. Too ideal for the old boys that are already using other means to manufacture those goods.

Unless they are willing to abandon their methods and jump to the hemp production, I'd see them lobbying to keep it out of our stores.

True..and that's as much of the reason it's not legal now as anything. W.R. Hearst launched a large propaganda campaign against the use of hemp as paper because it was a threat to his timber holdings. He was a very large voice in the anti-hemp hysteria in 1936-37. Like the old saying, "it's tough to win an argument with a guy who buys ink by the barrel"

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yes. It should be legal to grow, sell, use unrestricted. I also think that it could be marketed and sold by companies as well. Cafe's could open like they have in Amsterdam, they could have seed companies, etc.

It's a plant. Not manufactured by man. A natural plant. Used for medicine and also recreation.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Yes. It should be legal to grow, sell, use unrestricted. I also think that it could be marketed and sold by companies as well. Cafe's could open like they have in Amsterdam, they could have seed companies, etc.

It's a plant. Not manufactured by man. A natural plant. Used for medicine and also recreation.

spoken like a true stoner:):;)

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I have no dog in this fight. I can't see myself using marijuana even if it were legal. But I think its a waste of time/money chasing people down over it.

I agree with all the above.

Its a victimless crime

This, I'm not so sure. Ask a kid who grew up with a parent, or both parents, in to drugs. There are certainly indirect victims. However, the criminalization of drug use does not seem to be stopping this any way.

It sure looks to me like the war on drugs is causing a lot of collateral damage, for very little evident benefit to anyone.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This, I'm not so sure. Ask a kid who grew up with a parent, or both parents, in to drugs. There are certainly indirect victims. However, the criminalization of drug use does not seem to be stopping this any way.

It sure looks to me like the war on drugs is causing a lot of collateral damage, for very little evident benefit to anyone.

Smoking pot IS a victimless crime. Child Neglect, however, is a crime and should be punished. That's like giving a kid alcohol. Second hand smoke and all. But smoking pot itself, is a victimless crime.

I'd love to know if anyone knows anyone that gets violent when smoking pot. If so I'd like to meet them. I've never met anyone who beat their wife or started a fight while smoking pot. Ever. And I've known MANY people who use it.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Smoking pot IS a victimless crime. Child Neglect, however, is a crime and should be punished. That's like giving a kid alcohol. Second hand smoke and all. But smoking pot itself, is a victimless crime.

I'd love to know if anyone knows anyone that gets violent when smoking pot. If so I'd like to meet them. I've never met anyone who beat their wife or started a fight while smoking pot. Ever. And I've known MANY people who use it.

Yes, I have dealt with countless people that were being violent while high on pot. Smoking pot IS NOT a victimless crime, but that's just my opinion and obviously I am in the wrong thread because this one disgusts me.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yes, I have dealt with countless people that were being violent while high on pot. Smoking pot IS NOT a victimless crime, but that's just my opinion and obviously I am in the wrong thread because this one disgusts me.

And they were smoking ONLY pot? That's it? You know this for a fact?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom