Do you support the legalization of marijuana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support the legalization of marijuana?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So what are you saying , the data may be :shady: ?

Haha, I'm just saying to take it with a grain of salt given the source. I could find studies online right now that say just the opposite of what that study says. I may be right, I may be wrong, but consider the source when you look at "studies."

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    A study sponsored by NORML...
    Really?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A study? I believe there are SEVERAL studies. These are all NORML sponsored?

Canadian Senate Special Committee on Illegal Drugs. 2002. Cannabis: Summary Report: Our Position for a Canadian Public Policy. Ottawa. Chapter 8: Driving Under the Influence of Cannabis.

UK Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions (Road Safety Division). 2000. Cannabis and Driving: A Review of the Literature and Commentary. Crowthorne, Berks: TRL Limited.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Smiley. 1999. Marijuana: On-Road and Driving-Simulator Studies. In: H. Kalant et al. (Eds) The Health Effects of Cannabis. Toronto: Center for Addiction and Mental Health. Pp. 173-191.

H. Robbe. 1995. Marijuana’s effects on actual driving performance. In: C. Kloeden and A. McLean (Eds) Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety T-95. Adelaide: Australia: HHMRC Road Research Unit, University of Adelaide. Pp. 11-20.

...and that's only a handful of the references.
    [/FONT]

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I can't get past the vision of a "Spicoli" type "d u d e" driving (or more likely slowly weaving) down the road, on the cell phone, stereo crankin' out some Black Sabbath, lookin' for the joint he just dropped in the floorboard.

YIKES!

Sounds like it could be a tad bit dangerous to me?

Don't tell me all the "stoners" would just stay at home, they'er gonna be needin' some munchies! :n00b:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I find it funny to see people say "if you legalize it, then everyone will revert to increased use, and therefor more violence and criminal behavior. More people will die. Think of the children."

Now imagine we were talking guns here and not drugs? It ALL about personal responsibility, it has NOTHING to do with the items we talk about.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Also on the issue of violence , how many people can you think of that get violent on X type alcohol ?

A stoner may go into a restaurant and gorge himself , but he will NEVER go in to shoot up the place .

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    As far as crime goes... what will organized crime/gangs turn to when a lucrative source of revenue is lost?

What did the mob due when prohibition ended and all the
    revenue they enjoyed from the illegal importation and making of alcohol was gone?

The confiscatory rates that are currently being charged for the illegal
    drugs will not be supportable when made legal and grown/made by everyone and will (probably) cause the price to bottom.

Where do they make up the difference? I'm pretty sure the cartels will go ape :poop: if that happens.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Really?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A study? I believe there are SEVERAL studies. These are all NORML sponsored?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canadian Senate Special Committee on Illegal Drugs. 2002. Cannabis: Summary Report: Our Position for a Canadian Public Policy. Ottawa. Chapter 8: Driving Under the Influence of Cannabis.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UK Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions (Road Safety Division). 2000. Cannabis and Driving: A Review of the Literature and Commentary. Crowthorne, Berks: TRL Limited.[/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Smiley. 1999. Marijuana: On-Road and Driving-Simulator Studies. In: H. Kalant et al. (Eds) The Health Effects of Cannabis. Toronto: Center for Addiction and Mental Health. Pp. 173-191.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]H. Robbe. 1995. Marijuana’s effects on actual driving performance. In: C. Kloeden and A. McLean (Eds) Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety T-95. Adelaide: Australia: HHMRC Road Research Unit, University of Adelaide. Pp. 11-20.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...and that's only a handful of the references.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

And these all disagree:

Brookhoff, D., Cook, C.S. & Mann, C.S. (1994). Testing reckless drivers for cocaine and marijuana. New England Journal of Medicine, 331: 518-522.

Joy, J.E., Watson, S.J. & Benson, J.A. (1999). Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.

Ligouri,A., Gatto, C.P. & Robinson, J.H. (1998). of marijuana on equilibrium, psychomotor performance and simulated driving. Behavioral Pharmacology, 9: 599-609.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2000). Marijuana, alcohol and actual driving performance. DOT HS, 35: 808,939.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2000). Marijuana and alcohol severely impede driving performance. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 35: 398-399.

National Institute of Drug Abuse (1996). Marijuana impairs driving -related skills and workplace performance. NIDA Notes: Research Advances, Volume 11, No.1.

Porter, J.M. (1999). An outpatient marijuana abstinence program for court-referred clients. Arlington, VA: NAADAC Professional Newsletter.

Shalala, D.E. (1995). Say no to legalization of marijuana. Wall Street Journal, 18 August: A-10.

Solowij, N. (1998). Cannabis and Cognitive Functioning. Cambridge University Press, UK.

The point is that whoever does the study and whatever their agenda may be is how the study is going to turn out. This should be proof enough of that.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I've tried to have this discussion here before, but too many people are convinced that a brutal police state is the only answer. I think the following chart says a lot.

Modifiedmurderchart.gif

What really gets me is that the budget and manpower for drug enforcement keeps going up and up, and you can still buy drugs at most (if not all)public schools.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Illegal drug manufacturers will either find a way to make cheaper, less pure products or find new products to make money. Surely you don't think that just because their now drug of choice becomes legal they will all turn away from their life of crime and get 9 to 5 jobs at the bank?

Of course not, but they wouldn't have to walk around in my neighborhood at three in the morning, stealing things out of my car to pay for their fix, if it cost about $3 a month.

On the flip side of the coin, doctors, engineers and accountants are not going to suddenly turn to lives of meth use, just because it's legal.

I don't understand why anybody thinks that making things illegal prevents crime. Laws banning drugs and violence only allow us to legal justification to lock people up when we don't like what they are doing.

If anybody disagrees with that and is willing to admit that the only reason they are not raping, murdering, stealing and using drugs, is because those things are illegal, I'd love to buy you dinner and hear it first hand.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Of course not, but they wouldn't have to walk around in my neighborhood at three in the morning, stealing things out of my car to pay for their fix, if it cost about $3 a month.
    Nothing the government is involved in is $3 a month.

Laws banning drugs and violence only allow us to legal justification to lock people up when we don't like what they are doing.
    So we should legalize violence as well?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I can't get past the vision of a "Spicoli" type "d u d e" driving (or more likely slowly weaving) down the road, on the cell phone, stereo crankin' out some Black Sabbath, lookin' for the joint he just dropped in the floorboard.

YIKES!

Sounds like it could be a tad bit dangerous to me?

Don't tell me all the "stoners" would just stay at home, they'er gonna be needin' some munchies! :n00b:

When I'm drunk and hungry, I don't jump in my car to go to the store and buy food. I eat what I've got, or I call for delivery.

Some people will get behind the wheel when stoned to go buy some munchies...but they're mostly going to be the people that are doing it right now, legal or not. Responsible people will continue to act responsibly, and those that aren't won't really be affected by whether their drug of choice is legal or not.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    When I'm drunk and hungry, I don't jump in my car to go to the store and buy food. I eat what I've got, or I call for delivery.

Some people will get behind the wheel when stoned to go buy some munchies...but they're mostly going to be the people that are doing it right now, legal or not. Responsible people will continue to act responsibly, and those that aren't won't really be affected by whether their drug of choice is legal or not.

That makes no sense. When you are on drugs you are posessed and can not make ANY good decisions. What you speak of is totally false. Responsible people act responsible? Irresponsible people act irresponsible? Doublespeak!;)

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    whats the difference in drinking till drunk and being stoned...? done both but by God's grace dont do either anymore. people react differently to both either way response time and other focal points are totally impaired. Do i want to see my kids doing either of them,,,, NO! therefore i dont either. Seen to effects from causes in divorce and dont believe it brings anything positive to the table just hinders. If the gov, legalizes it then they will make a lot more money off it and save a lot of money from all the task forces they have out there trying to stop it.

true story about finding it in almost if not all public schools.

1 Corinthians 10:23
    All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    It should not be legal - it cannot be legal because it cannot be illegal - regulation of this is beyond the Constitutional ability of our government. Period, full stop.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I know numerous people who have died, or are dying from alcoholism. It's a heck of a lot more of an issue than someone smoking marijuana. I don't think all drugs should be legalized...I'm not sure if you've seen Indiana's Finest Meth heads, but it ain't pretty!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    ...except that alcohol is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. Marijuana is responsible for zero.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see."
    -Thomas Jefferson

I beg to differ........I have had the brains of a 4 year old boy oozing through my fingers as I looked across his lifeless body at his dead mother.........all because some douchenozzle thought it was ok to drive while high on marijuana...........so yes, marijuana is responsible for a lot more deaths than you might think.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom