• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    OP: You should not attempt to SEEK an engagement and attempt to detain dangerous individuals unless you are trained to do that sort of thing.

I was trained by the state of Idiana in building assaults and tactical cuffing among other things, and you still wouldnt catch me "creeping stealthfully down the hall" on my way to "detain" someone in my own home unless I had absolutely no other choice. That stuff is not a game, and unless you are a bad @$$ of the highest order, you have no buisness going it alone in such matters (or EVER if you are not professionally trained).

Well I'm not going to let someone rob me blind while I cower in my closet. Kinda defeats the perpose of home defence in my mind. Like I said in my later post, ideally I'd prefer to terminate their unlawful presents in my home. And if everyone must know I have extensive training and real time expirence in engaging, detaining, and searching dangerouse individuals.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I can't assassinate someone because I'm worrying about if they will come back. I'm sure some here would shoot to kill no matter what and lie to say whatever gets them out of legal trouble, but I won't kill like that. I don't aim for the legs but I also will only shoot to stop the threat. So if they are still alive on the floor and no longer a threat then I'm not going to murder them by delivering a death shot. Some would and they will go to prison if they ever do it.
    Out of rep but here's a :+1: for this post.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Your goal, if someone is in your home and they are not invited, is to get them to leave. It is EXTREMELY dangerous to detain a human being.

That should be the primary thought in your brain and what you should be articulating to them, You should be saying leave, leave my house now. If you don't leave, you will force me to shoot you. Leave now, I don't want to shoot you.

Give them an out. Allow them to leave if at all possible.
    Another great post! Could be their rehabilitating moment. If not, the next time they may not be so lucky.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    This is a good question and of course I think my answer is it depends.

My advice though would be to shoot them if you have any fear whatsoever for your life. Detaining is a very sticky situation. Are you really ready to shoot them in the back if they start running away after you call police? I would recommend asking them to leave over detaining. If they don't leave immediately then shoot them. If they do leave I think it is very unlikely they would come back with reinforcements who might be in a getaway car or something unless their sole reason for being there was to harm you. If you know that is the case then never hesitate, just kill them.

Again though, Indiana allows you to use deadly force to protect both life and property in your home. So you have every legal right to shoot and kill an intruder no questions asked. Eliminating the threat is truly the only way to immediately make sure the situation is under control and ensure the safety of yourself and your family.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Doesn't anybody have a dog anymore? An unarmed man in my house is not going to be able to have the luxury of making a choice.

OP: You should not attempt to SEEK an engagement and attempt to detain dangerous individuals unless you are trained to do that sort of thing.

I was trained by the state of Idiana in building assaults and tactical cuffing among other things, and you still wouldnt catch me "creeping stealthfully down the hall" on my way to "detain" someone in my own home unless I had absolutely no other choice. That stuff is not a game, and unless you are a bad @$$ of the highest order, you have no buisness going it alone in such matters (or EVER if you are not professionally trained).

I am so sick of the "trained professional" line. Unless you plan on providing me 24/7 security with immediate response to threat, bugger off. I will protect me and mine in the manner I deem appropriate, not the way some arrogant "professional" thinks is acceptable only for the special elite. I sure as hell won't cower in a closet while the douchebag intruder has unfettered access to my family and my property.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How can you see they are unarmed?

il_570xN.105787315.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It is called a TLR-1 stream light. 200 Lumens of blinding light.

You can see if they are holding something in their hands at that moment, NOT if they are armed.
    Unless you search the person you cant be sure and even with a simple pat down you cant be 100% sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can see if they are holding something in their hands at that moment, NOT if they are armed.
    Unless you search the person you cant be sure and even with a simple pat down you cant be 100% sure.

True but really not that hard to verify if you get them startled/blinded and near flight.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    If I could safely detain, that would be my first choice. Although I don't have a Judge Dredd mindset, I also would feel guilty simply encouraging the B. G. to leave me and mine alone just so he could find a softer target. I would not attempt to restrain the intruder unless I had my spouse covering him while I (without having a weapon on me) restrained him. Even with support, I would only restrain if I knew it was going to be a long time before L. E. Arrived.

My first option would be to have him stretched out on the floor while I guarded from my second floor landing, advising him that any movement will be taken as a sign of hostility. If the B. G. did instantly turn and run away, I would not shoot him in the back.

In response to a previous post, I do have 2 large dogs that would theoretically assist.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    If I could safely detain, that would be my first choice. Although I don't have a Judge Dredd mindset, I also would feel guilty simply encouraging the B. G. to leave me and mine alone just so he could find a softer target. I would not attempt to restrain the intruder unless I had my spouse covering him while I (without having a weapon on me) restrained him. Even with support, I would only restrain if I knew it was going to be a long time before L. E. Arrived.

My first option would be to have him stretched out on the floor while I guarded from my second floor landing, advising him that any movement will be taken as a sign of hostility. If the B. G. did instantly turn and run away, I would not shoot him in the back.

In response to a previous post, I do have 2 large dogs that would theoretically assist.
    I seen something in your post that may be helpful in regards to detaining.
    Possibly take this into consideration:
    by getting that close to the person you want to detain, there's a high risk of getting into a hands on stranglehold battle with them and putting yourself in the direct line of fire if your spouse were to shoot. Just threw that out there for something to consider so don't take my post the wrong way.:patriot:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    So I've been pondering this for awhile and I can never really seem to find an answer. What if someone breaks into your home and you reach for your trusty (PENIS) and light. You stealthily stalk down your hallway to your living room where you come face to face with the perp. Bathed in the overwhelming beam of light from your (PENIS) they surrender. You see they are unarmed and know one is injurred what can you legally due? Can you detain them until the police show up? Or is that considered holding against ones will? Or what if your out and they try to mug you with a knife and again you pull your gun and he surrenders but doesn't run away. What do you do now?

Mad libs fail.

BluesTraveler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    Evansville
    I personally would not try to detain I would demand them to leave as I hold my HD weapon. I would only fire if I felt scared for my life and they were clearly armed. It always depends though tons of circumstances to factor in. Hopefully never have to make the choice!!

Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Always be prepared. I have my cell phone on my nightstand every night. I also have my loaded pistol, extra loaded mags and my high lumen flashlight nearby.

First call 911 giving them pertinent information-name, address, reason for call and that you’re armed (that usually gets the police there sooner). Hopefully you know your house better than the perp so stay behind cover. If you feel threatened or see a weapon-shoot. If you can be vocally demanding and get them to stay put-good. If not and they run, you need to let them go. Be observant and tell 911 everything you can about the perp-clothes, height, weight, etc. The more good intel they have the better. The police just might catch the perp leaving your neighborhood.

Stay in your house so you don't accidentally get shot by the police. They get really nervous when they see a gun.

ALWAYS BE PREPARED.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would rather let the intruder go and be a good witness for the police than deal with all the paperwork and cleaning that would result from shooting the intruder. The longer the intruder stays in my house, the worse my chances of salvaging the situation.

I'm not going to put some stranger in a position where my pulse, marksmanship and willingness to kill are the three things standing between them and prison. I don't want them to try me. I want them to **** off and leave.

If you want to hold an intruder at gunpoint or attempt to restrain them, I do wish you the best of luck. If it turns south, I hope you are not harmed and if you end up in court, I hope you get a jury of folks like me.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Just got back to the thread. Haven't had time to check it - three sixteen hour days dealing with a local social issue.

Glad to know I'm a "coward" and a "douche bag" for thinking people should go get some training in how to use their firearm and how to properly defend their homes.

I wish you individuals the best of luck, charging into battle with no clue of what your doing. I hope you survive - and if you do, I hope your prison term isn't a long one.

Top Bottom