• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Tell them to install what I did, a door that locks automatically and has a digital key pad. Got a good quality Schlade for around $100. You can certanly afford that if you have a 5 story house. Problem solved. Our garage door to the house is exterior quality. We don't need a key to get in, but it is secure.

Schlage locks aren't really as great as they are made out to be... I know... I used to re-key them... sure they beat the hell out of say kwikset (which a calf-length sock properly used can open), but even the 'pick proof' higher end Schlage doesn't take but 15-30 seconds to open if you know what you are doing... sure you can't bump key them like you can kwikset, but even the cheapest of home-made picks make them easy. If you go schlage, go with the primus line. I also like Medeco locks.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I use my pickup commercially so I can’t have a firearm in it most of the time. (Federal DOT regs) Under the seats I keep a blanket, sleeping bag, camo rain gear, MRE’s, wet-wipes, duct tape, at least a half case of water, a chainge of cloths, fire extinguisher and 4 flashlights. In the bed mounted toolbox I keep SAE and Metric tools, antifreeze, oil, 5 gallons of diesel, tow strap, chain, tire chains, spare alternator, fuel pump and belt. There is some other stuff not worth mentioning and probably some I forgot.

I guess the short answer would be no ‘cause I don’t have a trunk.

[FONT=&quot]Bucky[/FONT]

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I think I have one of those fold up chairs, you never know when you're gonna need a chair!

me too, I made one of our perimeter guys break out laughing at me with one. I was out in the parking lot, enjoying a cigarette, a coke, and talking to some people who were standing.

Otherwise, when I am not going to work, my g33 is in the car on my person, and occasionally the 700 is in the trunk.... that would be a good one for an officer to find.:rolleyes:

I shockingly don't have the problem with new castle pd even tho i'm from madison county, granted I'm never in that county armed....:twocents:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I go to the range several times a week generally (illness and/or being extra busy at work can sometimes interfere with that) during my lunch break.

That would be kind of pointless without something to shoot, wouldn't it? ;)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well besides the Chloroform and wadded up rags, I carry an AR or my Yugo underfolder in the ultra-tactical Prince bag. Along with my BoB.;)

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    trunk

I have a truck so no trunk. In the bed I have my float tube and a bunch of fishing poles. In the cab I have my 7" Ka-bar fighting knife, an ax and a 20 lb sledge. I don't have a firearm yet, but when I do I will keep it in there too.

Jason

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I am debating on using my Golani or my Mini-14 as a "trunk gun" as these are the only two rifles with folders that I have. On the other hand, I always carry a handgun so I really don't need a "trunk gun". :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    so just what is the bag limit on vampires in Indiana lol :):

Wait, there's a bag limit?

Seriously... I've been thinking about a trunk gun, but I've been torn to have a shotgun or an AK variant, so I have some interchangeability. However, I would not mind to have another Shotgun, as they are VERY versatile. I could always pass the shotgun off to someone in a SHTF or just sling it and use it as needed.

On the shotgun subject... I was thinking about having some specialty rounds with it like Door buster shells and some bean bag shells with some 00 Buck and 2 3/4" slugs on a Bandolier. Thoughts?

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Shotgunlockopensmall.jpg

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Wait, there's a bag limit?

Seriously... I've been thinking about a trunk gun, but I've been torn to have a shotgun or an AK variant, so I have some interchangeability. However, I would not mind to have another Shotgun, as they are VERY versatile. I could always pass the shotgun off to someone in a SHTF or just sling it and use it as needed.

On the shotgun subject... I was thinking about having some specialty rounds with it like Door buster shells and some bean bag shells with some 00 Buck and 2 3/4" slugs on a Bandolier. Thoughts?

do have a need for breacher rounds? bean bags? some bird, some buck and a couple of slugs should do you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

First, you don't want standard ammunition and "less lethal" ammunition anywhere near each other. It's too easy to mistake one for the other under stress. Bean bags and the like are usually used with dedicated guns, often painted a bright color to minimize the chance of mistakes.

Second, under what circumstances would you need (or even want) breeching rounds or bean bags? Have you researched whether the use of a bean bag round would be considered deadly force for non-LEO in Indiana? Chances are, if you can legally justify use of a bean bag, you can and should have used buckshot or a slug in the same situation.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    ? Chances are, if you can legally justify use of a bean bag, you can and should have used buckshot or a slug in the same situation.

Currently I have an 870 in the trunk. With it is a bandolier of 25 rounds - 15 buckshot & 10 slugs. I figure that should cover any contingency. Breacher rounds? I'll use a slug or two instead. Less than lethal? That's what the steel butt-stock is for.

The only reason I plan to replace the 870 is the slowness of fire and low volume of ammo. For the same space as the 870, I figure I can get 4-5 AK magazines and a cheap tantal in super cheap 5.45x39. That gives me 120-150 rounds for the walk over 25 rounds.

So for this week, the tantal gets tested and put in the 870's place. It may just stay there 24/7 until I feel differently or I need to cross over into Illinois.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    First, you don't want standard ammunition and "less lethal" ammunition anywhere near each other. It's too easy to mistake one for the other under stress. Bean bags and the like are usually used with dedicated guns, often painted a bright color to minimize the chance of mistakes.

Second, under what circumstances would you need (or even want) breeching rounds or bean bags? Have you researched whether the use of a bean bag round would be considered deadly force for non-LEO in Indiana? Chances are, if you can legally justify use of a bean bag, you can and should have used buckshot or a slug in the same situation.

The first round in my Mossberg is rubber ball, every after that is buckshot. I can easily justify the rubber ball... it's a home defense weapon, I want to defend myself... If the rubber balls don't work to disable the intruder, then I resort to lethal ammunition.

In a car however... that'd be a hard sell they could argue you were trying to disable but not kill someone for some nefarious purpose.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Currently I have an 870 in the trunk. With it is a bandolier of 25 rounds - 15 buckshot & 10 slugs. I figure that should cover any contingency. Breacher rounds? I'll use a slug or two instead. Less than lethal? That's what the steel butt-stock is for.

The only reason I plan to replace the 870 is the slowness of fire and low volume of ammo. For the same space as the 870, I figure I can get 4-5 AK magazines and a cheap tantal in super cheap 5.45x39. That gives me 120-150 rounds for the walk over 25 rounds.

So for this week, the tantal gets tested and put in the 870's place. It may just stay there 24/7 until I feel differently or I need to cross over into Illinois.

Do you worry about the ammunition in the summer heat? What about int he winter cold?

I've been debating keeping a firearm in the safe under my seat *one of those ones that is attached to the frame via wire-cable* so I always have a firearm in the truck, my biggest concern has been the various temperatures. I know I'd want to change the ammunition out a lot more frequently, but would/could the temperature differences and/or high temperatures say in the summer set it off?

Top Bottom