• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The way I'm looking at it... is very simple, at least to me anyway. This is why I bring this to the hive mind... so I might get better guidance, or at least better ideas.

If I MUST pull that bag out of the trunk... This means 3 things.

1. The car is beyond repair or reproach, and either the decision to walk has been made, or a Pick-up has arrived or en route.
    2. SHTF situation has rendered all drivable avenues of approach in-traversible(sp?), taking to foot is only option available and home is within 3-5 miles.
    3. SHTF situation has rendered all drivable avenues of approach in-traversible(sp?), taking cover is only option until a) situation clears enoug for exfil or B) traversing via foot 5+ miles is deemed safe.
    Leaving a firearm in a vehicle alone is not an option in my eyes. It's a sensitive item that needs to be secured. That being said, If I leave the car, it leaves with me.

True, a couple of slugs and a stiff swing of the buttstock could replace Door Buster slug. Didn't think about that. Suppose I've been flipping through my Cheaper than Dirt catalog too much. :D

*DISCLAIMER*

The follwing option, mind you, is extreme and shouldn't be used unless you are willing to answer and be accountable for any actions forthwith. Please consult your lawyer and better judgment before considering this option. *DISCLAIMER*

Why need Door Busters? Simple. Weather in Indiana sucks. Winters in Indiana sucks worse. Should I/we (meaning wife and I) need to leave the vehicle for any reason (Won't start/can't stay warm), and the NEED to take shelter is imminent... I'll be glad to replace someone's door later. Few hundred bucks to replace a door is chump change compared to dying.

Bean Bags... Now, these DO have a tactical application. Would I use it for that? Probably not. If something needs to be taken down... I rather take them down and be done with it. Bean bags could be used for getting things down from high areas with less risk of damage, or some other quirky need. It's one of those "Let's have a couple just in case... but don't keep it with the main loadout" type deal.

Please, discuss. Differing opinions are awesome.

Last edited:

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I shoot it very well. I keep extra mags in the truck too.

BerettaStorm.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    f I MUST pull that bag out of the trunk... This means 3 things.

1. The car is beyond repair or reproach, and either the decision to walk has been made, or a Pick-up has arrived or en route.
    2. SHTF situation has rendered all drivable avenues of approach in-traversible(sp?), taking to foot is only option available and home is within 3-5 miles.
    3. SHTF situation has rendered all drivable avenues of approach in-traversible(sp?), taking cover is only option until a) situation clears enoug for exfil or B) traversing via foot 5+ miles is deemed safe.
    Leaving a firearm in a vehicle alone is not an option in my eyes. It's a sensitive item that needs to be secured.

A couple of other things it could mean:

1. I got caught at work, where I am nearly half of my life, and a SHTF situation emerges that strands me there for a period of time.
    2. I got caught at work, where I am nearly half of my life, and a SHTF situation emerges that forces me to walk home and the way is far from safe to the extent that a longarm is far preferred over the sidearm I carry.
    3. I got caught away from home, where I am infrequently, and I need something for cougar level danger instead of dog level. I am betting my small sidearm would do well against the dogpack that tore apart the census worker in Brown County years ago, but I bet a longarm would do FAR better.

And, yes, there is something unsettling about leaving a firearm in a vehicle that goes against the grain. I am unwilling to do that with a handgun, but I am willing to do that with a longarm. Why? Politically, financially, and safety wise a handgun is more of a problem if it is stolen (at least in the scenarios in my head). Also, I already carry the hangun(s) that I need. The longgun accentuates in case of need.

So, if I am going to have a longarm, the only issues for me are: reliability, cost (in case of theft), and usability. The 870 does all of these but adds deniability ("I'm just some hunter that left it in the trunk") and so would a levergun/pumpgun. The Ak also fills the role but trades off the "hunter" look in trade for a combat load of ammo.

Will it be horrible if the firearm is stolen? Yep. At the same time, if they steal the guns in my house, I will be real glad to have one in the car. Think of it as diversity of investments... :twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would think the Mossberg JIC 500 tube would be ideal for trunks. But I need to get one for the house first.

The problem with those is that they do not have a buttstock.

In my opinion, a shotgun without a buttstock has extremely limited utility and is both a specialty tool and an expert's weapon (i.e. someone who fully understands the limitations and is able to use the gun effectively in spite of not because of those limits, which eliminates most people including me). The trade-off for compact storage is not even close to being worth the sacrifice in being able to actually use the thing effectively.

Unfortunately they are sold to many newbs, which is a combination that probably couldn't get any worse. Coach can tell you about this with respect to one of his students.

Top Bottom