• ...and so much more!
  • FattRed1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pendleton
    :hijack:

What reason did the LEO offer up as his/her reason for searching your car?

I was told, after the fact, that since I told him there was a weapon in the car he was legally allowed to search it. His entire issue was that I was from out of town. Henry County has a pretty big drug problem, so I was told that when people from my area are over there are "usually buying drugs."

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    In my truck though I do have...

Mini-sledge, 2 really good camp hatchets, folding mil-shovel, shovel handle with a handrip of electrical tape, a very well stocked bug-out can in a 50 cal can (empty lighters, cotton balls, vasoline, half dozen cheap folding(locking) knives, a fresnel lense, gauze, paper towels, a plastic bottle [in a true emergency you can boil water in a plastic bottle, if I don't want to boil it in the can], and a ton of other odds and ends), a tent, pillows, several 'space blankets', a wool blanket, a sleeping roll, a good knife, hrmm automotive rated fire extinguisher, claw hammer, work gloves, wool lined leather gloves, a 90's era field jacket, a blue-denim long sleeve shirt (I throw it on when I have good clothes on and need to work ont he truck, or to help people change tires etc)... that's about it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ryan, you and I must think alike in that department. I used to have all that plus my fishing gear, solar charger, most tools needed to work on truck should the need arise, food in the form of ramen noodles and vienna sausage, water purification tablets, Maglite, shake light, extra tobacco, and toliet paper. I didn't carry a shovel but I'm sure my rusty axe would work if I reallllly needed to dig a hole...

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    ryan, you and I must think alike in that department. I used to have all that plus my fishing gear, solar charger, most tools needed to work on truck should the need arise, food in the form of ramen noodles and vienna sausage, water purification tablets, Maglite, shake light, extra tobacco, and toliet paper. I didn't carry a shovel but I'm sure my rusty axe would work if I reallllly needed to dig a hole...

Oh yeah I forgot my tools... 2 sets of wrenches :) A cheap set and a good set... and my maglite, oh and toilet paper too.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I usually carry the TP for the kids. I've learned what leaves are good and what aren't. But good to have none the less!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh i use the napkins for cleaning and checking the oil and such. They also come in handy when you drop your taco bell in your lap after that ahole slams on his brakes in front of you and your arse end slides sideways from doing the same...

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Hey 45calibre, here's a present for ya.

bullet.png

:) I made the background transparent for you.

thanks man i was trying to get just the expanded jhp but couldnt find one. you think you could do one of the pretty winchester jhp that looks like it has wing?

and i was talking about rifle or shotgun, like techres said it would be a handgun fight to the trunk to get said rifle/shotgun.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You can always stock the glove box with fastfood napkins.Plentiful and the price is right!:D

I do that too, and straws (as I don't use straws)... not sure what they'd be good for though haha... maybe since plastic lights, melts, and burns easy... as an improvised fire-starter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are the statistics for vehicle burglaries specific about which part of the vehicle was compromised? I would bet that stuff left inside the car is far more likely to be stolen than stuff in the trunk.

You can see through the windows, so if something valuable is in there, it would make it worth the effort and risk to a thief. It's also easier and quicker to get into the interior than the trunk.

BTW ... I hope people know not to leave a remote control for their garage in a vehicle parked outside the garage!

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't recall the statistics being any more specific than what I stated. I'll see if I can go back and locate the source. I would agree that items left up front, even under a seat out of sight are probably more likely to be compromised, but with the advent of the passenger compartment trunk release, I don't think it will slow them down much placing it in the trunk. This would be especially true if you have some gun stickers on your car, someone may be looking specifically for that property, and as such continue the search.

In addition to the remote controll, you do all remember to lock the door to the house from the garage, right?

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    WARNING! Topic drift!

In addition to the remote controll, you do all remember to lock the door to the house from the garage, right?

Ah, this reminds me of a time I spent a few days at my sister's FIVE FREAKIN' STORY HOUSE near a major urban center in a southern state.

My sister and her husband refuse to lock the door between their garage and the house. I chose to lock it before I went to bed because that's how I roll, then they'd get pi**y with me because they couldn't get into the house from the garage without using the key.

I mention the size of the house for a reason. They live in a neighborhood where the rest of my family could never hope to reside (for financial reasons) and would never want to reside (because of the creepy neighbors). Because of the nature of their neighborhood, they refuse to even consider installing an alarm system, even for fire protection. They don't see the need because their neighborhood is "too nice" and no one would ever try to break into their home.

<pin drop>
    <cricket chirping>

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My sister and her husband refuse to lock the door between their garage and the house. I chose to lock it before I went to bed because that's how I roll, then they'd get pi**y with me because they couldn't get into the house from the garage without using the key.

Tell them to install what I did, a door that locks automatically and has a digital key pad. Got a good quality Schlade for around $100. You can certanly afford that if you have a 5 story house. Problem solved. Our garage door to the house is exterior quality. We don't need a key to get in, but it is secure.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tell them to install what I did, a door that locks automatically and has a digital key pad. Got a good quality Schlade for around $100. You can certanly afford that if you have a 5 story house. Problem solved. Our garage door to the house is exterior quality. We don't need a key to get in, but it is secure.

Joe, you're coming at this from a logic and facts point of view.

This isn't any kind of problem in their minds. They won't do any such thing because they truly believe nothing bad can happen where they live. They won't even consider it. Cost is not close to being an issue.

I brought it up as a "sharing thing," not a "I need a solution to a problem" thing.

Top Bottom