• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry both JHPs and FMJs on your person?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Simple question: Do you carry both Hollow points and Full Metal Jackets rounds on your person when you carry your handgun?

Im not talking about having both kind in the same magazine but a magzine full of Hollow Points in your gun and a spare magazine with FMJs just in case.

Is there any reason or possible scenario(s) where it could come handy to switch to FMJs instead of your regular Hollow Point?

:dunno:

fmjJHP.JPG

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Heck no, I have to worry about over penatration and back drops the way it is, last thing I want is a bullet going through several things, besides a hollow point expands to do three times the damage.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Why would you want to? HP's go through almost anything a bullet needs to as it is. Bonded HP's do an even better job of going through such things as auto glass and staying together.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it highly depends on the situation.....for instance if it were necessary to have to shoot through you vehicle door you would much prefer the FMJ because it will not deflect in trajectory nearly as much and will most likely still hit your target.....yes is my answer...I always have a mag of each....usually the HP is in the gun and FMJ is in the vehicle or elsewhere on me

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I voted both.

Carry mag is JHP. Backup is JHP. Mags 3 and 4 are in my go-bag, and are FMJ. Why? No reason, other than JHP is expensive!

^^^^ What he said^^^^

I have 5 mags for my MP9. The two primary mags that I keep on me are JHP, the three back up mags kept close by are FMJ. Those are also the three mags I use at the range so that I don't have to unload the expensive SD ammo before loading the cheaper FMJ.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I keep my guns loaded with hollow, and my 2 back up mags, on my belt, loaded with hollow also. I even have another mag loaded with hollow in my Jeep.

Why? It's not as expensive as you think, and I'm not going to take a chance of over penetration and hitting a kid behind my target.

IMO, the extra $ is worth it. Why take the risk? You only have to buy 1-2 boxes once.

Top Bottom