• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In regards to magazine capacity do you +1? In that I mean, with an 8 round magazine do you fully load it, chamber a round, then drop the mag and put one more in? Hence...fully loaded mag with one in the pipe? Is it less stress on the magazine if you don't do that? Or does it matter?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I dont. I asked about fully loaded mags when I first started carrying, and everyone I talked to said it wont hurt them (I also carry a Glock, other manufacturers may be different). So I just go with the full mag, then chamber. I see no reason to go +1 when I already have 13 rounds. If I cant stop the threat in 13, I probably cant in 14.

-MColford

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It does more harm to the magazine spring if you load and unload constantly. Not keeping it fully loaded, all the time.

I keep a round chambered, and keep my mag fully loaded. I may NEED that one extra round.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    yes and no.. My end result is the same, however I have a magazine I put in, rack the slid, drop then reinsert a fully loaded fresh mag.

same end result, but saves on the reloading the last round. This can sometimes be difficult in my 16rd XDm mags.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I dont. I asked about fully loaded mags when I first started carrying, and everyone I talked to said it wont hurt them (I also carry a Glock, other manufacturers may be different). So I just go with the full mag, then chamber. I see no reason to go +1 when I already have 13 rounds. If I cant stop the threat in 13, I probably cant in 14.

-MColford

I'd be more concerned about having more rounds to get myself home. How do you know that you won't run into any more threats on the way home?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I carry a full magazine plus one. My question is, WHY WOULDN'T YOU?! However, in my spare mags, I carry with one less than the capacity because some guns (glocks) will often have trouble seating if the mag is full and one in the chamber. If the situation arises to reload, I probably won't want to have to screw with that too.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I use to but some words of wisdom from someone on here told me to only load what the magazine holds. If I know the magazine only holds twelve, then in my mind I know I have only 12 shots. If I put a +1 in there then I will have to remember if I loaded it or not with thirteen.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I carry a full magazine plus one. My question is, WHY WOULDN'T YOU?! However, in my spare mags, I carry with one less than the capacity because some guns (glocks) will often have trouble seating if the mag is full and one in the chamber. If the situation arises to reload, I probably won't want to have to screw with that too.

That's why the 1911 is God's gift to the handgun world. I do carry 7+1 in the Colt. When you only get 6 or 7 rounds to start with, you take what you can get.

Who else carries +1 in their revolver?

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I use to but some words of wisdom from someone on here told me to only load what the magazine holds. If I know the magazine only holds twelve, then in my mind I know I have only 12 shots. If I put a +1 in there then I will have to remember if I loaded it or not with thirteen.

You could use the same logic, but instead, know what the gun holds, I know I have 8 rounds ready to go, plus 7 spare. I can understand if the gun is finicky on a full mag, but if I sm ever in a situation where I need to use them, I want as many as I can get.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I see no reason to go +1 when I already have 13 rounds. If I cant stop the threat in 13, I probably cant in 14.

If I know the magazine only holds twelve, then in my mind I know I have only 12 shots. If I put a +1 in there then I will have to remember if I loaded it or not with thirteen.

Who cares if you remember how many rounds you have in the gun? Are you going to count them as you defend yourself?

Handguns are already compromises. Carry as much ammo as you can. Don't short yourself. Top off your magazines if you have the luxury. :yesway:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Who cares if you remember how many rounds you have in the gun? Are you going to count them as you defend yourself?

Handguns are already compromises. Carry as much ammo as you can. Don't short yourself. Top off your magazines if you have the luxury. :yesway:

:+1:

mine are all loaded full. The only thing I down load is my carbine.

Top Bottom