DIY: How to make a rain barrel tutorial.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrumpyUnk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Jackson County
    I've made a couple of rain collection barrels but none of them looked as nice as this. I like being able to remove the lid and clean it out when needed.
    This setup could be converted to drinking water pretty easy with a few minor alterations.
    Thanks!

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    thats brilliant!! would have saved me on watering my garden last summer. what is the likelyhood of that barrell becoming a mosquito birthing facility tho?? id imagine they would be able to find a way in and then multiply like crazy

GrumpyUnk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Jackson County
    thats brilliant!! would have saved me on watering my garden last summer. what is the likelyhood of that barrell becoming a mosquito birthing facility tho?? id imagine they would be able to find a way in and then multiply like crazy

Skeeters are always a concern with anything holding water, but this looks pretty tight and would keep out most of them.
    A little olive oil poured on top of the water will smother the larvae and not hurt your garden plants.

It would be easy to daisy chain several of them together for more storage too.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    "Sorry, we are unable to retrieve the document for viewing or you don't have permission to view the document."

Im even logged into my gmail and it still tells me to **** off.

Google hates me today.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Skeeters are always a concern with anything holding water, but this looks pretty tight and would keep out most of them.
    A little olive oil poured on top of the water will smother the larvae and not hurt your garden plants.

olive oil huh.. never thought of that but i think this will be my early spring project after i get my seeds started and ground tilled!

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    this is a good start, but using a diverter on your downspout is a much better idea. it will allow the barrel to fill until full, then backpressure from the plumbing feeding the barrel will allow the surplus water flowing through the downspout to follow its 'normal' path out into your yard, into a french drain, or whatever drainage controls you have around your home. you definitely don't want the excess water overflowing from the rain barrel right there by your foundation - it needs to be sent away somehow for proper drainage. simply lengthening the overflow hose on this design might work, but i have my doubts as to whether or not that garden hose can keep up with a heavy downpour.

it doesn't take long for a 55 gallon drum to fill to the brim and overflow during a moderate rain shower. our home is pretty sensitive to drainage issues around the old laid limestone basement - even clogged gutters cause unnecessary moisture in our basement during heavy rains.

the diverters are commercially available, relatively inexpensive, and most come with options for winterizing your setup. the one we currently use came from menards and works well.

oh on a side note - we use a food grade 55 gallon drum with the snap ring lid. we've never had mosquitoes or any other insect problems. we pop the lid open a few times a season and inspect and then scrub it clean for winter storage in the barn. pretty rewarding collecting your own water for the garden!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is what I was looking for in the thread I started. Most cool. There are many different ways to approach this design. The overflow is a bit small but again, many ways to do this.
    Thanks.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Very cool. I'm interested in doing this but am curious... what the heck do you do in a typical Indiana winter? Having lived one solid year in a class A rv with an uninsulated belly, I know a bit about full plastic tanks swelling when frozen and cracking.

I would imagine the whole system would need to be removed and a normal drainspout used in the wintertime?

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    I would imagine the whole system would need to be removed and a normal drainspout used in the wintertime?

we simply unhook ours, drain it out, scrub the inside clean, and stick it inside the barn for the winter. the diverter we use can be removed from the downspout during the off season and replaced with a plug that was included in the kit.

i wish i could remember the brand name of it so i could supply a link, but they are becoming more and more popular and widely available so i'm sure there are better out there. i've used two different setups and both have worked well. the one i picked up at menards even came with a spigot for the barrel with some pretty handy rubber gaskets and such for getting it all rigged up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very cool. I'm interested in doing this but am curious... what the heck do you do in a typical Indiana winter? Having lived one solid year in a class A rv with an uninsulated belly, I know a bit about full plastic tanks swelling when frozen and cracking.

Not a winter deal. Any water trapped has to be stored in a safe environment.
    As you can read in some of the threads about this, everyone cleans up and stores the catch container until spring.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton

One thing I found when my parents use to have a rain barrel (big ole 50+ gal wooden monster with the old steel rings even) was that without a lid, you for sure got Skeeters. What we did was went fishing, brought home what was essentially a small bass or a couple small blue gill. They ate the skeeters, the excrement is actually good for a flower or veggie garden. They would survive all summer in that barrel usually with zero maint. We always saw the larve (or whatever they're called when they're tiny) but never had an actual mosquito problem. I wouldn't suggest it for my potable water supply, but for general watering why not utelize nature. Many bio systems are set up using fish excrement for nutrient suppliment to water supplies for gardening.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It wouldn't be too hard to stack this and a water filtration barrel to get some backup water supply. :)

I might make one of these in the spring. Do you have to sterilize it? Or can a soaped out/rinsed old can work? Our city just forced us to use "their" dumpsters for a one man truck with forks to lift it into the truck. I now have 3 or 4 junk trash barrels.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It wouldn't be too hard to stack this and a water filtration barrel to get some backup water supply. :)

I might make one of these in the spring. Do you have to sterilize it? Or can a soaped out/rinsed old can work? Our city just forced us to use "their" dumpsters for a one man truck with forks to lift it into the truck. I now have 3 or 4 junk trash barrels.

I am going to bleach mine out just because. May end up drinking the water if need be....

Top Bottom